A couple of questions

Guest jerroldt

Guest jerroldt

I have 500 miles on the Le Mans now and a couple of questions that you may have answers to. First, is light oil seepage normal around the cylinder heads? I keep it wiped up and it is not really enough to worry me now. I know that on my old 850 T3 I had to re-torque the heads after break-in.

Secondly, I have a deep drumming sound at low speeds in first gear and it sounds

like the fairing vibrating. I can't find anything loose. It may be normal for the Le

Mans. Anyway, everything else is great and I can't wait to get out and ride it everyday.

Jerroldt,

The only noise my 03 Rosso had was a rattle noise that turned out to be from the front exhaust crossover. After I installed the Stuchi Xover, the noise was gone due to the more narrow Stuchi crossover (moved the header pipes in which pinched in the front crossover). Or you may have more noise from having a full fairing. My Rosso does have more engine noise than my 00 V11 Sport because of the fairing transmitting noise upward.

On the oil leak you are having, neither my 00 Sport or my Rosso has any seep or leak from that area.

Good luck,

Mike

The first time I picked up my bike, and started it, I turned it off quickly, I thought something was wrong with it, with thrashing sounds coming out of everywhere.

I had tested the V11 first hand 6 months earlier at Moto International, where I took it out for 1/2 hr blast. I never noticed the sounds it made back then.

As for the oil leak, I say run it, and as long as it does not start pouring out, keep putting the miles on it, and when it goes in for it's first service, they will have to re& re the head to install a new head gasket. Once a head gasket starts leaking it can't be torqued up to stop it leaking. If they decide to crank up the head beyond the reccomended torque to try to stop the leak, take it to another dealer.

Ciao, Steve G.

Are you talking about the valve cover gasket, or the cylinder base? I am assuming the valve cover gasket, and if so, it's not a big deal.

As mentioned you can get some new gaskets next service, and of course just check to see if the valve cover is indeed tightened down.

Several of us have had great luck with "Real Gaskets" that are silicone, and seal up very well. Check into them if you have continued problems with your valve covers.

al