Groaning

P3GA

After letting the bike cool post-ride, I started jockeying the bike back to it's designated space in the garage. This usually involves making a three point turn while straddling the bike, missing the kid's toys and the bride's car in the process.

In any case, while moving backward, loud groans eminated from the shaft / final drive area. Is this an indication that the bearings / joints need greased, or......?

Thanks,

Phil

Ahh yes, the infamous(didn't I just use that moniker in another thread? :rolleyes: ) rear brake "groan" while rolling backwards <_>

This is VERY common, and fortunately is not a sign of knackered bearings, etc...

Many people have thought that their rotor was warped when this happened, but after much trial-and-error, I am convinced it is a matter of the caliper pistons binding up due to debris, especially on a new bike as the pad material gets eaten away as the pads seat.

Several of us have found that a good dousing of the rear caliper with brake cleaner will cure this problem for a long while. If it returns, just pull the caliper again, and spray liberally.

I suspect you will be amazed at the amount of debris that will "wash" out.

al

Guest Jeff Kelland

I brought mine to the dealers and let them try to figure it out. They said they beveled the rear edge of the pads, I heard the noise only once after that and then never again. I suspect as Al does, that the problem may be sticking when new.

Had the same problem. Bad rear left (brake side) bearing. Replaced as a pair 2000 miles ago and to date no more groaning. Easy check is to take the rear wheel off and rotate the bearings. If they are not smooth or slightly gritty, you have a bad bearing. The whole job of removing the wheel and replacing the bearings took less 2 hrs and this is with no prior experience with wheel removal. The hints from the guys on this site are incredible.

Tools:

rubber mallet

screwdriver or punch

socket set

I wore out my rear brakes after 8000kms, with the brake groaning all the time. I put SBS pads in, and no more groaning.

It is a good idea to check those rear wheel bearings as well. A friend of mine with his "02 Lemans had the bearings go after 1000kms very recently. Turns out the spacer in between the bearings was made to short, allowing the bearings to be crushed during rear axle torque from the factory. The fact that the original bearings are made in Poland, and were dry as a popcorn fart were not very confidence inspiring as well.

Ciao, Steve G.