Temp Guage <cyl. head or oil> ??

Guest bshpilot

Wow, that's expensive.... I wonder where the sensor bolts into? And it looks like you lose our nifty dashboard(although I assume you could mount the gauge elsewhere if desired, especially on a LeMans).

I've got one of those goofy dip-stick thermometers from MG Cycle, and although you can't see it when riding(without gymnastics ^_^ ) and I'm sure it's not hyper accurate, I have used it for various testing when troubleshooting various heat-related issues, and it's at least "consistent" :P

Anyway, other than neato factor, I'm not sure what this would buy you.... :huh2:

I don't think anyone has reported any overheating issues with these bikes per se, even in high-temp environments.

We have had some "heat related" problems with the fuel systems, or the valve lash being too tight, but no endemic problems with the engine overheating.

I guess like with any air-cooled bike, one just has to use common sense about sitting too long in the heat.

A few years back, I was in the Nevada desert, where they had just laid new jet-black tarmac... and traffic was stop and go for about 45min while they continued with some road work. After sitting for about a minute and a half, and realizing we weren't moving anytime soon.... I just shut my FJ1200 off and waited.

But anyway, as a "farkle" I think this gauge is pretty neat. I'd probably buy one if I had $300+ just lying around :wub: You know how I like "gizmos" :lol:

I just don't know if it's "necessary" :huh2:

BTW, it's also only listed as available for the Sport1100 and Daytona. I don't know if that matters for a V11 Sport/LeMans application.

al

Guest bshpilot

in their defense you wouldnt be paying JUST for the guage...theres

a few more bits.... ;)

its more informational for me...most of my other bikes have a temp

guage...

in their defense you wouldnt be paying JUST for the guage...theres

a few more bits.... ;)

its more informational for me...most of my other bikes have a temp

guage...

I gotcha ;)

...same here regarding "more info"... heck I almost installed a fuel-pressure gauge during all my pump relo projects :rolleyes: In the end I thought it was overkill though.

I wouldn't mind a real oil PRESSURE gauge though. That might be more useful than the "uh oh, I just cooked my main bearings" idiot light, or oil temp <_>

I've wondered about the best place to put that though, other than just tee-ing off the location for the current oil-pressure sensor. I don't think there's a tap anywhere else I could put a pressure sensor into :huh2: Maybe someone knows of one, I don't upon casual inspection.

Oh, and although I don't know the answer to your first question:

cyl. head or oil [temp]

:D

I'm going to guess that based on the fitting in the photo, and what most people care about, it's oil temp, not head temperature. The only real advantage knowing head-temps is tuning the ECU for air/fuel ratio.

al

Guest bshpilot

agreed...dont wanna be too much of a devils advocate...

but man price a guage lately...45-60 bucks (U.S.) JUST for the

guage...not to mention the nice integration...or the fact that our

numbers are "small" as a market...were not talkin' generic under

the dash of my mass-market-FORD-pickup truck set up ;)

True, but based on my frequent trips to the local "speed shop"....

I think you could put together a temp kit for under $100-120, which would include the oil-filled gauge, braided SS teflon line, fitting, and a generic bracket.

This kit, while well thought out, and admittedly nice, is a bit pricey IMHO. I think one would be paying quite a premium for the new dashboard :P

al

well, I do have the kit, the sensor comes in the bolt between the cylinders were the oil lines go to the heads, so you measure the temp from the ooil going to the heads. You don't need the dash for a v11, so you order these parts:

200-116516649901 Öltemperaturanzeigeinstrument VEGLIA € 60.10

037093180 Öltemperaturgeber VEGLIA € 12.80

200-0303 Hohlschraube (Adapter) M8 zu Öltemperaturgeber, für 1100 Sport (2-Ventiler) € 19.70

On my v11 scura these parts were mounted too.

I've wondered about the best place to put that though, other than just tee-ing off the location for the current oil-pressure sensor. I don't think there's a tap anywhere else I could put a pressure sensor into :huh2: Maybe someone knows of one, I don't upon casual inspection.

On all the ones I've seen, oil pressure sensors have replaced the stock sensor for the idiot light. The mounting styles have ranged from professional-looking in the instrument cluster to a gauge zip-tied to the crash bar. I liked that one. :rasta:

The only other place I can think of mounting the sensor (off hand) is at the oil cooler- but that's regulated by valve, isn't it?

J

Guest bshpilot

very nice...although i suspect id like the guage a bit more angled toward

my view...but i like it very much.

what is that 'switch' on the throttle side...between the mirror and switch

gear...

hey i see you should flush the clutch fluid (pretty black) ;)....

...interesting location, but of course that wouldn't work on the 2003+ tank.

However, on a LeMans, there are plenty of fairing locations :thumbsup:

Poor Paul, everyone telling him to flush that Scura's clutch fluid every time he posts a picture of it :lol:

Good thing you sold it! ;)

al