starter won't work

Guest Warren Rhen

Guest Bruce

I've had no relay clearance problems on my '00 Sport. Likewise I did bump start my bike a few times which didn't appear to hurt anything.

The one good thing I've noticed about Social Security is that as I get closer they keep moving the goal posts!

This happened to me again today, at least third or forth time its happened in all.

Went out short ride down town, parked up . No neutral light comming on , engine cuts out when side stand goes down. Prod the slector in and out of gear , light still wont come on. Never mind of to next stop, Same thing, and the next, and the next. But when I came back to it, ignition on , neutral light comes on. All back to working as it should.

Well I can live with this occasional niggle, provided it doesn't do anything else.

I don't warm her up on the side stand , I kit up , get on , start up and go.

This just fuels my Guzzi paranoia, but it all vanishes as I pull out on to the road, a gentle "s" sweep past the neighbours parked car, and with a little bit of accleration feel the seat hump carress my backside ( Oh! that sounds a little too sexual) as she pushes forward. As I settle in to position. I love my bike :wub:

Well I'm off to bed now , just time to check that the neutral light still comes on, the gearbox return spring still works and that the fridge interior light goes out :D

Guest motor72

After stopping for gas yesterday ($2.09/gallon ouch) hit the starter button and nothing. After several tries it did start. Once back home I took the tank off to remove the tip over valve to end the tank suck problem. I found the bullet connectors for the clutch switch. The connections were so loose they literally came apart in my hand. It is now greased and connected properly. No more starting problems. Anyone else with a non-working starter button might want to check these connectors. Ride safe.

I recall the fried ECU was an issue with the 16M computer but apparently not the current 15M.  Cliff and others can clarify this for us.

The resistor on the coil will not really benefit. Any output driving a coil will expect spikes and be protected for it.

The problem with the 16M was voltage spikes coming in from the supply. Usually because the battery and/or regulator was stuffed.

No neutral light comming on , engine cuts out when side stand goes down.

This certainly sounds like a sticking neutral switch. Start parking in gear so the switch spends more time 'out' than 'in.