new metzler+nail=bad

bento

Guest Marcel

I'd suck it and get a new tire. Bad news when the plug fails while powering out of a nice tight bend with a 300m drop next to it :(

yeah, new metzie sport tires, cought a nail in the rear, do i dare plug it, or should i just suck it up and get a new rear?

Remove that tire NOW & send it to me. There's a lotta poor kids here in my trailer park that dont have a tire swing. Their parents take the worn out tires off their cars & put'em on the roof of their trailers to keep the wind noise down. You'd be doing a great thing for the children.

Guest steveguzzi

Yeah, sometimes life just sucks....you can't really trust the tyre again even if "fixed" can you? just one of the downsides to riding,

Bad luck

there but for the grace of God etc

Steve

someone stealing your tire swing tires tex?

Naw, I use a big rig tire 11.00 x 24.5. Your bike tire is the perfect size for the children. I'll let 'em know of your kindness when they get off the school bus. Just try to imagine the look of joy on their faces. I can hardly wait. Thanx bento :notworthy:

Guest bshpilot

Id plug it....like ive done w/ others of mine...no dealer/shop will plug it...

saying its an insurance issue...which it could be...but know that theres

more margin/profit in selling you a tire at full retail !

Ive never really had an issue w/ plugs (and ive probably ridden on

4 or 5 over the last 10yrs or so at least)....only ONCE did

i loose the plug...(and that was my fault for not getting it in further...

hey i knew a girl like that once...sorry)

back to subject/topic....when the plug did slip out i had plenty of time

and nothing crazy went wrong (this was on a back tire....and only

moments earlier i was running 100mph+)

Guest HDGoose

Ever notice that the rear tires seem to get more flats than the front tires? I do not remember having a flat front tire.

I saw a contraption on touring rigs (Gold Wings/Electra Glides) where they had a rubber curtain that ran at angle to deflect items that the front tire kicked up. The theory was that the front tire was kicking up objects (nails) and would flip them into the rear tire. The angle I an referring, in reference to the rider, were the farthest point forward was about 3-4 inches in front of the rear mount, and parallel to the ground.

I would like to suggest adding a karma bell to the bike after replacing the tire. My tire longevity went way up after I added one.

Two bikes, two bells, no flats since. I've worn out 3 sets of tires on one bike since purchasing that little bell. Call me crazy or superstitious but it seems to work for me.

Guest davidb

I have had NO luck with plugging and patching my sportec 1 rear tire. I finally tossed it after the last plug leaked. It seems the steel belt cuts through the plugs and the silica compound doesn't hold patches too well. I even used the cap head plugs that are inserted with a plug gun.

TX - you're a bastard!

I have a habit of clicking on links in people's signatures to get a more "personal" feel.

FYI - NEVER do this on anything TX links to! :!:

At least i didn't get fired... :homer:

I now have a more "personal" feel for ya TX! :thing:

Rj

ps :D

Guest jerroldt

I would trust a plug on an automobile but not on anything with 2 wheels. I would just buy a new tire and eat the cost. There are new technology plugs out there but I think that they were designed for cars. Just my 2 cents worth.

:lol:

TX - you're a bastard!

I have a habit of clicking on links in people's signatures to get a more "personal" feel.

Yeah, it's a cute one. I have a private office- better for viewing...oh nevermind.

I would probably plug it if it were a rear tire. Front tire, I'm afraid it would be in the land fill. You can't save a front tire wash out, but a rear can be caught if you are quick enough, and a bit of luck.

Ciao, Steve G.