Rosso suspension settings

Guest odyssey986

Guest odyssey986

When you turn the rebound and compression settings for the rear shock completely CLOCKWISE, is this the "starting point" for counting back the clicks?

Is rebound & compression at MAXIMUM or MINIMUM when turned all the way in?

I'm a large rider (260 lbs). I will ultimately get the fork resprung if necessary, but for now I would like to optimize the suspension settings as much as possible.

I know I have to increase the front preload (I get about 40mm compression difference between static and me sitting on the bike). It looks like the rear may have already been adjusted (looks like the adjusters are in about the middle of the threaded portion).

Where should I start with the compression/rebound settings for the front & rear?

Where should I start with the compression/rebound settings for the front & rear?

This is Ohlins? Search old threads on setting up Ohlins - there's loads of stuff on settings.

But if std springs are 8.5 f & 85 r, if you can't set sag w/o max preload - best place to START is stiffer springs - makes big difference. Fairly cheap & easy to do - Brings other adjustments into a range where they are effective rather than just setting everything on max so's not to be chucked off!

KB :sun:

Guest odyssey986

I have read the MG manual, the Ohlins manuals available for download here and many posts but I am still confused about some of the settings. I have only owned BMW's before, which had much less adjustability (especially in the front).

Here are the unanswered questions I have for my Rosso with Ohlins:

1) Do I want to turn the fork preload nut clockwise or counter-clockwise to stiffen the front fork? Clockwise seems to extend the front forks, but the Ohlins manual suggests that counter-clockwise is to stiffen the front forks.

2) On the rear shock, should I be looking from the FRONT or REAR of the bike when I am turning the damping adjustment?

3) I'm still confused on where MAX and MIN is on all the damping adjustments. The Ohlins manual seems to indicate that turing each of them full clockwise is the MINIMUM setting, which contradicts the posting above this one.

4) As a good starting point, can someone suggest how many mm/cm of the fork sliders should be visible when I am seated on the bike? I don't have a shop stand so it has been difficult to measure (and my wife doesn't really understand what I am trying to accomplish, but she can easily measure the fork sliders for me).

I just don't want to start messing with the settings until I understand how they work so I can return to the current "stock" settings if I want to start over. Some of the posts I read suggest starting with MINIMUM damping and working your way up. Others suggest starting at all "midpoint" settings and working from there.

Viewed from above the face of the adjuster, all adjustments are clockwise to increase, except shock rebound which is clockwise to increase viewed from bottom of shock.

Sag should be about 30% of total travel. There should be about 70% of total travel still available with you sat on bike, which on the Ohlins on my bike was roughly 90mm. It would be much better for you to set sag properly for your weight rather than go of other peoples measurements. I am sure you would find you needed stronger springs.

All this information & more is on the Ohlins site:

www.ohlins.com

Or for Scura Ohlins Guzzi manual:

http://ryuv11.free.fr/v11/scuraohlins/v11scuramanual

KB :sun: