Synthetic gear oil damaging?

Steve G.

A couple lads have told me this, and I have read it on a site that links this forum.

What is being told is that a property in synthetic gear oil is breaking down the phenolic [plastic cage] bearings, specifically the cages that hold the rollers in place within the bearing. I can't imagine this to be the case. Heck, even M.G. specifies it in the owners manual of these machines.

Are there any engineers or compound biologists on this forum that could shed light on this? I am well aware that most things read on the internet should be taken "with a grain of salt", but if there is any basis to this, it could be ground breaking information.

I've never been a fan of phenolic bearings, prefering brass or steel cages for the sheer strength. It seems more and more bearings one buys from the bearing supply house have been offering the "new and improved" bearings.

You know what they say, "they don't make 'em like they used to". There is some basis to this, I feel all in the name of the bottom line, to make money.

Ciao, Steve G.