Tires

twhitaker

That is not the question. I need to put a new shoe on the back of my '02 LeMans.

I currently have a Michelin Macadam 180/55R17 and am happy with the 13,000 miles I gotten out of it. I've read most of the tire posts and have seen some where they've changed to a 170/60 profile and saw some performance improvement. I'm pretty sure my bike has a wider rim than the '00, '01 Sports.

Would I be shooting myself in the foot by getting the smaller tire?

170/60 was mounted when the up-to-2001 bikes where delivered,

which is a little wide for the 4.5" rim. Many people including me has moved

to 160/60 which should be a better fit.

From 2002 the rim is 5.5" and an 180/55 should be ideal for the wider rim.

180/55 ZR 17 Michelin Pilot Road $132.24 plus all the other stuff.

120/70 ZR 17 Pilot $102.19 plus.

Thankfully I bought the paddock stand so I can save $25 twice.

Mybe I sieze this opportunity to replace my clutch bleeder.

Whats the verdict for the stickiest (read best performance) tire ? I have a 2001 V11 that is currently running 160/60 Metzler M3 's I really like em, even though they are wearing fast. On this particular bike , grip in the dry and handling are my primary requisites from a tire.

I've heard much talk about the Pirrelli Diablo's. Whats the good word ?

Mike Stewart HIGHLY recommends the Pirelli Diablo Corsa for the wider-rimmed 2002+ bikes, with the stock size.

Although he's got a 2000 Sport as well, he says that with the Pirellis, he is seeing similarly fast turn-in on the new bikes with this tire, it's got great grip, and is lasting very well. I think he said he has 3000 miles on the rear, and it still looks good, which is good for a soft compound tire.

They'll be my next choice.

al

Here is the main reason I'm getting a new tire. This Michelin Macadam 100x has 13,000 miles on it. I found out the Michelin Pilot Road is the replacement for it. Hope to get somewhere near as many miles from the new tire.

The tread wear is odd until I thought about. On my route home from work there is a long sweeping left hand turn that goes over a bridge. This overpass is laid with very rough concrete. Kind of acts like a rough file on the side of my eraser.

180macadam.JPG

Wait... doesn't that long left sweeper become a long right sweeper on the way back? Hmmmm are you riding harder on the way home, or on the way to work?

Which one are you dilly dawdling to? Or should I just shut up and mind my own buisness...

Rj

This sweeper is where a highway merges with an interstate. Got left hand sweepers both directions. We call this area "Malfunction Junction." Come to think of it there are 2 more left handers at the other end of my interstate race course. For those of you from the midwest it's I-75 in downtown Dayton OH.