Highway Cruising

Guest WildJackal

my bike is VERY VERY happy at 5000 rpm.

I don't even pay attention to what gear I'm in.

:stupid: (preferrably in fourth gear)

preferably in white ruffle shirt, bow-tie, Robin Hood tights and a porkpie hat

Guest Thundering Subash

Good discussion! I will 6th gear on occasion, but not all that often.

For one, you don't have much power in 6th gear when traveling at legal or moderately above legal speeds. If I need to speed up to get out of or avoid trouble, I like to have some boost available at my finger tips (which you don't really have unless you're above 4000 rpms). Also, the motor likes to be revved, not lugged like some other v-twins. While not a peaky motor, it does seem to be happiest and smoothest at higher rpms, especially in the taller gears. Lastly, I don't think the mileage gains, if any, from running at low rpms makes up for the smoothness and power you get running at moderate rpms. As a matter of fact, based on how mine runs, I would venture to guess that these motors are actually more efficient at higher rpms.

Wish I knew why that happens.

The rpm at which it all goes to glass is mostly (AIUI) a result of the balance factor used when balancing the engine. At that rpm everything is balanced and smooth.

Rj

I think what Dave meant is that at 5000 miles(not RPM) his engine apparently "broke in" and the vibes he had been experiencing just went away :D

Here's an interesting quandry/question though. If one installs new pistons, conn rods, and a cam(which I plan to do when I get the engine cases swapped).... will this 5-10k mile "break in until smooth" start all over again? i.e. will the bike vibrate more again, then take a few thousand miles to smooth out?

al