Gauge cluster removal

Guest Joe keeling

Guest Joe keeling

Has anybody removed or written a thread about removing the Speedometer and tach on a v11 series bike. Any info would be appreciated. It seems my tach has gone south, so I am taking the opportunity to replace my stock aluminum bracket with a carbon piece when the dealer replaces the bad tach. Joe.

Joe,

It is a piece of cake. :lol:

There are two 8mm. nuts that hold the tach in the dash. If you have a windshield, it would be best if it is removed. After the two nuts are removed, the tach will slide out.

For removing the speedo, the speedo cable needs to be removed and then the two 8mm. nuts holding the speedo in place. Be careful when reinstalling the speedo cable. The speedo has plastic threads and it is very easy to cross thread the cable.

Good luck,

Mike

If you have a screen, you can undo the top two fastenings and pivot the screen on the headlight bracket, out of the way.

If you are taking the speedo out, then you need to remove the tripmeter reset shaft at the side by screwing it out (clockwise?). It sounds like you want to remove everything though. As far as I remember, take off the 4no. 8mm nuts and the pod will come away so that you can swap the bracket (undo 3 screws, watch out for spring washers). If you are only replacing the tacho don't take the speedo clock out – save the pain of reconnecting the cable – unless you want to take the opportunity to lube the cable.

speedo-end400.jpg-thumb_269_202.jpgSpeedo case with gear housing removed.

Check that the electrical connectors on the back of the metal tacho case are still good, including the scewed ground connection. If you are lucky your problem might only be with the easily fixed external connections.