Just now, LowRyter said:

totally agree.  I think would improve the show and make it safer.  The wings are soooo ugly.

Go into a Ducati show room and take a look at a Ducati Streetfighter. Truly a magnificent piece of motorcycle engineering turned into a bit of a joke with 2 wings on each side sticking out about 8 inches each. I mean seriously,4 wings on a sit up high handlebar street bike! Makes the rider look like some pathetic wannabe living in a parallel universe in my opinion. 

Phil

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Lucky Phil said:

Go into a Ducati show room and take a look at a Ducati Streetfighter. Truly a magnificent piece of motorcycle engineering turned into a bit of a joke with 2 wings on each side sticking out about 8 inches each. I mean seriously,4 wings on a sit up high handlebar street bike! Makes the rider look like some pathetic wannabe living in a parallel universe in my opinion. 

Phil

Ya know, when I think "Ducati", I hearken back to the most delicious . . .

b2a3c071a8a1f9870ae4d84d9f88d537.jpg&f=1

2cd0b5fb3ee2900cd726f3916e554039.jpg&f=1

Common folk, like me. would like to think matters of "MotoGP" contribute to this sort of "trickle down" . . .

Does it, still?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, docc said:

Ya know, when I think "Ducati", I hearken back to the most delicious . . .

b2a3c071a8a1f9870ae4d84d9f88d537.jpg&f=1

2cd0b5fb3ee2900cd726f3916e554039.jpg&f=1

Common folk, like me. would like to think matters of "MotoGP" contribute to this sort of "trickle down" . . .

Does it, still?

Probably more trickle down from WSBK to road bikes these days docc. Ducati have lost me now in all honesty. I love the actual product from an engineering perspective, sans stupid wings of course but they are now as much a posers accessary item as anything else. There's no appreciation for the old Ducati faithful that kept the company afloat for years through outright passion for the bikes and an ability to put up with the ropey QC and questionable design choices. 

Nope we are long forgotten and now they are built for the people that can also stump up for a $3000 Gucci handbag or $7500 set of riding gear without batting an eyelid and zero idea of any aspect of how to maintain or work on their bike. Different world. Our nearest Ducati dealer doubles as a Porsche dealer for gods sake. You can imagine what the showroom staff are like.

Phil 

Edited by Lucky Phil
  • Like 2
On 7/30/2024 at 11:36 AM, LowRyter said:

got this on another forum... the guy was responding to me because I was critical of MM riding so aggressively for an exhibition.  If I was Facebooker, I'd copied it there rather on the forum.

From Matt Mladden’s Facebook page:

“In the accompanying pic, Marc is already ahead of old mate, who has already sat up. The fact he crashed after this is his problem and his problem alone. Ianone still far from the apex. It wasn't even close. A soft pass at best.

I'm getting tired of handing out cuddles to grown men but here's a few more 🤗🤗🤗

Bulega and Ianone were slowing, and in the last two laps Marc pulled them back in. Door was wide open early and Marc took it. Marc never ran wide. For anyone to say his pass was anything but an everyday race pass, is dreaming.

Ducati's best on equal machinery. Not one of them blokes on that track even saw the "exhibition" part. Ok, maybe Jorge Martin did, because he got his arse handed to him. Days like that help Ducati to realise that they definitely chose the strongest rider for 25. The mental strength of Pecco and Marc is to be admired. I love watching them. Having cut a few fast laps back in the day, it's not easy to impress me but Pecco and Marc are next level right now.

Bulega just got taught a good lesson. Marc is as true a racer as I have seen since the Doohan, Rainey and Schwantz days. Those blokes would have eaten your kids to get a race win. Until the checkers drop, it is on! I haven't forgotten the old days. They were good! And the three legends of the sport I mentioned above, taught me so much.

The poster's opinion directed toward me:
I'm also impressed with the comments on the last post. I haven't had to block anyone for straight out vile crap. We all have our opinions and if we can have some good banter that doesn't include name calling and just down right rubbish then I'm happy to have it on my page. I also agree with some things that the anti Marc brigade say about him but it's racing. It's a tough game. Surviving in this game for so long is hard.”

Yesterday, a "mea culpa" was issued from Marc Marquez about that incident, where he admitted that he had forgotten that he was not riding a MotoGP bike, so he entered too fast in the corner. Without saying anything, he is at least giving a good diplomatic exit to everybody on this issue.

Ducati PR work has continued backstage, no doubt.

Source is Motosprint.it;

Edited by p6x

Here's a 75 years anniversary Motorcycle racing quiz from Dorna, involving today's big three: BMM;

I only had two wrongs.

Can you do better?

(as usual, you have to click on the URL link since MotoGP does not allow embedding).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn3H0HAoOz4

Edited by p6x
  • Like 1

Last for today;

The VR46 Team (no surprise) will get the GP25 next year.

Franco Morbidelli will integrate the VR46 team, and will ride the same bike he is currently racing with in this year's championship.

Miguel Oliveira (to be confirmed) may move to Pramac Yamaha.

I've got a '64 Elite in boxes. Cycle parts are all good, I've got an original tank, albeit unchromed, and it's only missing a seat and silencer. Engine seems to have good compression, but I haven't had it apart yet. It's a bit of a retirement project. The last picture shows what I hope the finished project will look like.

0a706ca33e764d0c5ee79c9167dd3892.jpgf900c46f02afe3efae0f1f30ef4d465e.jpgda78fe801c55359b0fc2b7f8eab2f0b6.jpgcbc76c8e6082bc2081abc013d3e94bdc.jpg

• Like 3

My Godfather was going to give me his collection , property , everything (60+ bikes) with 4 Ducatis including a 250 Diana Mk 3 .  He was vamped by this evil succubus from Alabama , Arkansas or somewhere . She took him south , took his life and everything he had .  The one thing I remember about the 60s Ducatis , you didn't try to kickstart one unless you had Lineman's boots on . 

Watching practice Bastianini and Bezzecchi both blew up on their warm-ups.  Laverty made a comment that these guys just signed contracts with other manufacturers.    The other announcer said he was wearing a tinfoil hat.  

2027 and the rules change will most likely be the major reshuffle.

Of course, the reduction in engine capacity, but also the interdiction of ride height devices, including at grid start.

The fairings will see some changes.

Maximum bore will be 75mm, maximum 4 cylinders.

Minimum weight 153kg. Max tank capacity 20 liters. Only 11 liters authorized for the sprint race.

Maximum width of the fairings will be reduced from 600mm to 550 mm. Maximum height of the rear fairing/appendixes will be reduced from 1250mm to 1150mm. The fairing front will be moved backwards 50mm.

All the GPS data from all pilots will be made available to all teams.

Only 16 gearbox sprocket pairs authorized, 6 engines for the season (20 races), 7 engines (22 races).

Fuel 100% hydrocarbon free.

Opinions:

Going to 850cc, engines will lose 30/40 hp. Non fossil fuel means less power. 10% aerodynamics.

The objective is to have MotoGP shed 2 seconds from today's lap times.  Long term, it is expected that new technology will regain some of the lost time.

4 hours ago, gstallons said:

My Godfather was going to give me his collection , property , everything (60+ bikes) with 4 Ducatis including a 250 Diana Mk 3 .  He was vamped by this evil succubus from Alabama , Arkansas or somewhere . She took him south , took his life and everything he had .  The one thing I remember about the 60s Ducatis , you didn't try to kickstart one unless you had Lineman's boots on . 

Everyone I knew that road a Bevel took the kickstart lever off. He'd pull it back on comp and bump it side saddle swing the leg over position the balls of the feet resplendent in his Lewis leathers back zip black road race boots and roar away in true style. Unlike todays handbag carriers.

SOAU7544.JPEG

Edited by Lucky Phil
  • Like 2

OMG !  

Can you imagine these MXers of 2024 riding a BSA dirt bike from 1970ish . Dry weight  of 450lbs and 3" of suspension travel  (dropped from 50') w/Girling rears and IDK what oil leak was on the front. 

• Like 2