Winther project in house.

Tomchri

Done 500+km now with the yellow 1100Sport.  Running perfect in the usual trouble area, a little fast idling, not perfect, but very rideable. 

Today I was going to adress that.  Had her going perty good idling ++.   Suddenly not running well on both cylinders, WHAT?  More valvenoice on right cylinder, yes.  Spark good on both cylinders.  Of with right side headcover,  extrmely intake clearance, didn't measure, but 50mm easly. WHAT?  NOTHING LOOSE. Busted pushrod ?  Took it out 1hour ago, after buddys left, friday here 🍻.   Pushrod look perfect.  Ok, valve seat/valve trouble  ?   Tomorrow another day, thoughts/ experience welcomed.

Cheers Tom. 

• Like 3

Hmmm f299f73b60da051c00c36fa3a1b0fad8.jpg8680263700b306c832c76db6d0d63d4a.jpgfa918a853a85d41692f74f50db00751a.jpg

Sent fra min SM-S906B via Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Tomchri said:

Done 500+km now with the yellow 1100Sport.  Running perfect in the usual trouble area, a little fast idling, not perfect, but very rideable. 

Today I was going to adress that.  Had her going perty good idling ++.   Suddenly not running well on both cylinders, WHAT?  More valvenoice on right cylinder, yes.  Spark good on both cylinders.  Of with right side headcover,  extrmely intake clearance, didn't measure, but 50mm easly. WHAT?  NOTHING LOOSE. Busted pushrod ?  Took it out 1hour ago, after buddys left, friday here 🍻.   Pushrod look perfect.  Ok, valve seat/valve trouble  ?   Tomorrow another day, thoughts/ experience welcomed.

Cheers Tom. 

What 2 inches? or do you mean .05? anyway it may heave eaten a cam lobe or the inlet valve has seized in the guide from lack of use.

Phil

Intake valve shows the reason for extreme clearance, and not running well.
Cheers Tom. 7d74dcfc05f946071a4f7ce1205821b2.jpg7d6d1b5757a954b524fae7ae2cfcd93e.jpg811e690f4abe2440bf869ed982f38201.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

With so many miles, and my suspicion that you like the redline, I'd put new valve springs in it. When I get to mine (with only 39k miles and I'm not a redliner) I'll put in the same beehives and retainers I used in the LeMans 1000. They should be good with the stock cam, pushrods and rockers to 10k rpm. Not that I'll ever see that unless I crash on the throttle side.

This happened idling outside the house, taking care of idling.
First time for everything. Ex valve quide a little loose in the chamber side. See the hitting mark on the the valve. Ordered the quides when I got the bike, thinking mileage.
Will do the other head to. Not to hard inserting new quides, but with new valves seating perfect to the seat. I have them done perfect by a real professonal.
Redline is there for a reason, so only when needed .
What a bike.
Cheers Tom. 5dbede7f95143856579e8499cb4a0bf8.jpga0c604b05e2850b73232ba51ed1f37f7.jpg315b1386161ef45d43f3c9d5afd4bf7b.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Any idea why the valve bent? I see that the part numbers for valves and guides are the same for a 1100iE and a V11, so maybe there is warning for something to look out for on V11 bikes too? 

GU37036105 Exhaust valve

GU37036005 Intake valve

GU13036801 Exhaust valve guide

GU14036860 Intake valve guide

My father's Ariens riding mower did similar to this ,  A pushrod would bend and start missing out. after two pushrods in one summer , the dealership told us to run premium fuel only . It has additives regular Jiffy Mart fuel doesn't . The valves will stick in the guides and this is the result . Bent pushrods and or bent valves . 

You can add Marvel Mystery Oil to your fuel along with premium fuel for safety's sake too.

Valve guides are much more complicated than it first seems. Aside from materials, lubrication is strange science here. Too-tight guides can sieze, of course; but too-loose guides, and very high temperatures can coke up motor oil in the guide and reduce clearance to the point of siezure. This is particularly bad in small engines as in the Ariens above. Iirc the valve guide clearance in some old Briggs & Stratton small engines is something insane like .003-.005 because the heat swells them so much. A proper K-line is a great rehab, if oil control isn't a problem. On the LM1000 I hotrodded, I had to add valve seals to the intakes. 

As mentioned, it was possible to move the quide and valve in the chamber side. It was too much play between valve and quide + possible to move the quide in the chamber side. That’s why I ordered oversize quides. Clearly a hitting mark on the ex valve.  Pushrods were straight. Not much room between the valves, so my first thought was it had to be the reason. K-lines would have been the better option, if the quide was in place.  
Again me NO machinist.  
It was a pleasure seeing Widmer motors work shop, organized and CLEAN.  They are busy, so will take a little while.

Cheers Tom.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tomchri said:

As mentioned, it was possible to move the quide and valve in the chamber side. It was too much play between valve and quide + possible to move the quide in the chamber side. That’s why I ordered oversize quides. Clearly a hitting mark on the ex valve.  Pushrods were straight. Not much room between the valves, so my first thought was it had to be the reason. K-lines would have been the better option, if the quide was in place.  
Again me NO machinist.  
It was a pleasure seeing Widmer motors work shop, organized and CLEAN.  They are busy, so will take a little while.

Cheers Tom.

So the valve guide is loose in the head?

Phil

22 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

So the valve guide is loose in the head?

Phil

Yes. Took a little bit of force to get it out, but moveable with fingers, chamber side.

Cheers Tom.

• Like 1

Hi to All,Just a thought...

When the new E5 petrol arrived in Ireland some years back, the ethanol dissolved some old epoxy based thank liner treatment.

It resulted in quite a few valves tightening when their guides got glued up with the accumulation of  that goo, some carbs too were a nightmare to clean up.

Worth checking inside your tank to see if it has been lined and the liner's melting away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/18/2024 at 11:39 PM, Emeraldv11 said:

Hi to All,Just a thought...

When the new E5 petrol arrived in Ireland some years back, the ethanol dissolved some old epoxy based thank liner treatment.

It resulted in quite a few valves tightening when their guides got glued up with the accumulation of  that goo, some carbs too were a nightmare to clean up.

Worth checking inside your tank to see if it has been lined and the liner's melting away.

Thanks, clean no liner tank. Steel 1100 Sport tanks can have rust issues. 

Cheers Tom.