Twentieth (XX!) South'n Spine Raid 2024

Admin Jaap

FWIW, Andrew and Randy took a ride South that I wasn't up to, and lament; it's my regular path in and out of the 'raid. Next year I may suggest, if the weather is as nice, lunch in Helen, GA.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Pressureangle said:

FWIW, Andrew and Randy took a ride South that I wasn't up to, and lament; it's my regular path in and out of the 'raid. Next year I may suggest, if the weather is as nice, lunch in Helen, GA.

It was a beautiful ride. Hope more folks join in on it next year. I know it skips the Skyway and Tapoco but  it was great.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Pressureangle said:

I'll not be so lazy again as to ride even that short distance in short socks and vent tennies. I was naked and afraid. Mostly cold tho.

Having been an MSF Rider Coach Trainer (Retired) for 20 years, I can recall a few rides with other MSF folks where we moved about 200 yards from our hotel to a restaurant with ATGATT.  Took longer to suit/unsuit than it did to eat.  Tedious, that .

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Pressureangle said:

8 hours ago, Randy said:

It was a beautiful ride. Hope more folks join in on it next year. I know it skips the Skyway and Tapoco but  it was great.

This is the second SSR that @Tellico Andrew has offered to share his local knowledge and take us new places, or along new routes. :race:  :thumbsup:

Another cool cat we are lucky to call "SpineRaider " . . .

IMG_3255.jpg

• Like 5

Next year I will bring my now 4wheeled conveyance and Nikon camera and rejoin the ruckus! 

once again looks like it was a great time had by all!!

• Like 6

On 9/11/2024 at 6:30 PM, motowfo said:

Next year I will bring my now 4wheeled conveyance and Nikon camera and rejoin the ruckus! 

once again looks like it was a great time had by all!!

AWESOME, @motowfo ! :pic:

I love this plan !!!!!  :sun:  :drink:

• Like 3

This fine fellow brought an iceboat-load of enthusiasm to share. :sun:

Watching for him to check in after his long drive home . . .

IMG_3265.jpg

IMG_3200.jpg

• Like 7

On 9/13/2024 at 5:33 PM, docc said:

Still watching for @Skip to check in . . . 

Hey there Doc and all the other SSR-20 participant's , I finally got a chance to sit  down at my computer and check in.   I had an absolutely wonderful time hanging around with all of you, eating, drinking, a tech session, and even some time riding the Skyway and the Tale.  Also had a chance to spend  Friday with my son Joshua who came up from Atlanta just for the day. We took to the plains right behind Hardies and flew RC gliders and FPV drones. The reason it took so long to check in is that I decided to take a side trip to Rachelle, Illinois to watch the Union Pacific 4014 BIG BOY steam locomotive arrive and depart the old town railroad station. (and yes it is HUGE)  Whistle blowing, steam hissing, black coal smoke belching, and all other kinds of mechanical noises, it was truly a site to witness.  Hope everybody had a great time at the SSR-20, I'm sure you all did.  I'll keep my fingers crossed in hope for next years RADE-21.   

Cheers to ALL

SKIP    

big boy.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Skip said:

Hey there Doc and all the other SSR-20 participant's , I finally got a chance to sit  down at my computer and check in.   I had an absolutely wonderful time hanging around with all of you, eating, drinking, a tech session, and even some time riding the Skyway and the Tale.  Also had a chance to spend  Friday with my son Joshua who came up from Atlanta just for the day. We took to the plains right behind Hardies and flew RC gliders and FPV drones. The reason it took so long to check in is that I decided to take a side trip to Rachelle, Illinois to watch the Union Pacific 4014 BIG BOY steam locomotive arrive and depart the old town railroad station. (and yes it is HUGE)  Whistle blowing, steam hissing, black coal smoke belching, and all other kinds of mechanical noises, it was truly a site to witness.  Hope everybody had a great time at the SSR-20, I'm sure you all did.  I'll keep my fingers crossed in hope for next years RADE-21.   

Cheers to ALL

SKIP    

big boy.jpg

Thanks for checking in, @Skip! :thumbsup:

Fascinating train history. great to know it has been restored and plying the rails, once again . . .

https://www.up.com/cs/groups/public/@uprr/@newsinfo/documents/up_pdf_nativedocs/pdf_up_media_4014_fact_sheet.pdf

• Like 4

On 9/9/2024 at 9:07 PM, docc said:

Full disclosure, @Pressureangle is an ATGATT guy, but was just pulling out from breakfast, headed a mile back to The Lodge.

I will vouch that he accepts that socks is gear and "all the socks all the time" is the way to roll . . . :D

Screen%20Shot%202024-09-09%20at%207.53.3

I like YELLOW

• Like 5