Twentieth (XX!) South'n Spine Raid 2024

Admin Jaap

10 minutes ago, audiomick said:

Don't forget: if is not broken, don't fix it. :whistle:

Exactly!

Because . . .

On 8/3/2024 at 9:51 PM, docc said:

Successful  "BikeWash" (154 mile shakedown ride) today.

Today was mySport's 24th anniversary, so extra-special. :mg:

On the lift, now, for tires and brakes and such . . . :luigi:

large.IMG_2947.jpg.763331e6392b186acd1c1

I know you're getting up there in years but surely you haven't forgotten what a bikewash really is?

image.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Closing in on two weeks out and I stopped wiping mySport down.  I figure if Randy is bringing his "friends", the innkeeper, Ken, will likely lend us a hose and bucket  . . .

Looks like a spectator sport! :sun:

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Surprisingly little infield chatter here for this close to the event.

Supposing the routes and activities -- :race::luigi::food::drink: -- are so well-known to the regulars that not much is needed.

I'll start.

AJ and I launch on our Guardias on Thursday, RON in Princeton, W.V., then close on the objective Friday afternoon.

Kathi -- who will get back the day before from Seattle following 10 days with our PNW grands -- will cage it with various essentials, e.g., Kentucky bourbon.  After all, no gentleman drinks Tennessee corn swill. :grin:

Oh, and Bob Wegman rides one of his Guzzi harem here to the Moto Grappa from Rochester on Wednesday to join the Guardia gang to Princeton before pulling pitch and returning home.

Actually, as I am TDC-challenged, I HOPE to be on the Guardia, which is still on the lift awaiting my completing its 12K service.  Kathi is getting annoyed at turning the rear wheel while I give her helpful instructions, all conveyed in a loving way, of course, e.g., "Not that far, [expletives deleted]" ... "Slow down, can't you feel the resistance [expletives deleted]!" ... "Lordy, watch my hand & arm signals [expletives deleted]!"   :whistle:

We are going back down today to try it again.  Yes, the right jury would acquit her.  :P  Seriously, she is an indulgent and almost-suspiciously saintly wife.  :wub:

See all soon.

Bill

Edited by Bill Hagan
GIGO
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

@KINDBOY ... just saw your "like."

You get up mighty early for PST.

Tried PM'ing you but got error message.

Coming to SSR this year?

Bill

6 hours ago, Bill Hagan said:

@KINDBOY ... just saw your "like."

You get up mighty early for PST.

Tried PM'ing you but got error message.

Coming to SSR this year?

Bill

Morning Bill...yeah seems this is getting to be my usual wake up time 3:30-4:30 am.... Maybe if I stayed up later than 9:30 I could stretch it out a bit. 

I just Got back last week from 3 weeks riding in Italy with a friend from Rome..mostly Dolomites/Stelvio/Switzerland...so not 100% time adjusted yet !

This time while with my friend in Italy I had some very fine Grappa (Thought of you).and a new found obsession...Mirto!

Looking fwd to seeing you and the others in Tellico!

Edited by KINDOY2
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, KINDOY2 said:

Morning Bill...yeah seems this is getting to be my usual wake up time 3:30-4:30 am.... Maybe if I stayed up later than 9:30 I could stretch it out a bit. 

Yes...I will see you in Tellico!....just pulling a few last minute things together..I just Got back last week from 3 weeks riding in Italy with a friend from Rome..mostly Dolomites/Stelvio/Switzerland...so not 100% time adjusted yet !

This time while with my friend in Italy I had some very fine Grappa (Thought of you).and a new found obsession...Mirto!

Looking fwd to seeing you and the others in Tellico!

First, great re SSR.  :race:

Second, re Italy ride, etc., simply wow! :mg:

Very much look forward to your stories.  

Don't know Mirto; in fact, have never heard of it.  Wikipee told me this: Mirto

Thanks to you, I will not sound too rubish -- at least on that account when I ride this next month ... Moto Guzzi Tour of Sardinia & Corsica

Bill

• Like 3

As for the Black Walnut Bottom clan, I am happy to report that the Lady Kathy has recovered to the point that she, too, will be driving our support vehicle to SSR #20, allowing me to strafe the Cumberland plateau with Docc and the Katzenjammer Kid.

As to Tennessee corn swill, I consider the gauntlet laid!  Roaring River Distillery and I accept your challenge!  You supply the red Dixie cups.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Great news about Kathy! :wub:

Drinking whiskey out of Dixie cups is … well … so Tennessee. :grin:

Bill

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/25/2024 at 6:59 AM, Bill Hagan said:

Great news about Kathy! :wub:

Drinking whiskey out of Dixie cups is … well … so Tennessee. :grin:

Bill

"Y'all come, now! Ya hear?"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I may not make it this year- the past couple months have been... painful... 
Outside of the 'Alaska trip' in which we didn't make Alaska, but was awesome, I've been buried by BS.
Representative of my status, I took my Mom's unused 2004 Yukon as a tow vehicle to collect my '04 busted crank pickup from San Antonio. 1300 miles from Michigan to Florida, rock solid. 300 miles from home towards TX, the fuel pump takes a crap. No biggie, but the shop ran me around the flagpole for 5 days before simply declining the job. So me and $750 went over to Harbor Freight and did it myself in the Tallahassee Best Western parking lot.

Well, at least it made me feel like I was 19 again. Somehow that isn't particularly satisfying.

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

8 minutes ago, Pressureangle said:

Outside of the 'Alaska trip' in which we didn't make Alaska, but was awesome, I've been buried by BS.
Representative of my status, I took my Mom's unused 2004 Yukon as a tow vehicle to collect my '04 busted crank pickup from San Antonio. 1300 miles from Michigan to Florida, rock solid. 300 miles from home towards TX, the fuel pump takes a crap. No biggie, but the shop ran me around the flagpole for 5 days before simply declining the job. So me and $750 went over to Harbor Freight and did it myself in the Tallahassee Best Western parking lot.

Well, at least it made me feel like I was 19 again. Somehow that isn't particularly satisfying.

Lordy, that was painful to read.

The SSR will not be the same without you.

You might note that Moto Grappa is way closer than Alaska.  :grin:

Seriously, come visit.

Best wishes for a better 2025.

Bill

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pressureangle said:

I am going to seize upon the "may not" part of the phrase and still hold out hope . . .  :bier:

Otherwise, sir, you will be sorely missed!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bill Hagan said:

Lordy, that was painful to read.

The SSR will not be the same without you.

You might note that Moto Grappa is way closer than Alaska.  :grin:

Seriously, come visit.

Best wishes for a better 2025.

Bill

I still have to collect the bimmer from Michigan, via Rte. 66. May as well pass by Virginia on the way out, since there's nothing between Michigan and St. Louis I want to see again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1