Twentieth (XX!) South'n Spine Raid 2024

Admin Jaap

1 hour ago, Pressureangle said:

Weather between Lavonia, GA and Tellico is complete shyte Thursday and Friday. 
Last straw, I'm out. I haven't cancelled the room at the Lodge yet, if anyone wants it speak up.

The NWS is forecasting 40-50% rain chances in north Georgia Friday, highs mid-70ºF. Modeling, of course, gets better as we get closer (high resolution models come into range at about 48 hours out).

Even those rain chances are sporadic through the day (not a "wash out").

Precisely where an AeroStich RoadCrafter comes into its own! :sun:

Still early to etch forecasts in stone, but the Cherohala looks like a high of 62ºF at The Divide with a 40% rain chance. That'll be chilly at speed!

Sunday looks cool and clear in the entire region. The kind of air that Goozzees live for! :race:

2 hours ago, Pressureangle said:

Weather between Lavonia, GA and Tellico is complete shyte Thursday and Friday. 
Last straw, I'm out. I haven't cancelled the room at the Lodge yet, if anyone wants it speak up.

Sorry to hear that.  I appreciate that sometimes there is a point of diminishing returns... you, too, will be missed.

• Like 2

I am just going on record here that a SpineRaider that shows up in his truck (with tools :luigi: ), but no SpineFrame , is still a SpineRaider . . . :ph34r:  :glare:  :drink:IMG_5665.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

For the last 8 years my two HS buds from NY and I have made plans to hike at least two National Parks somewhere around the country during your SR weekends...usually 7-10 days. This year it is Rainier and Olympic.  Next year our dates have changed. The SR is on my bucket list, and with no conflicts next year. I have a year to figure it out. 

• Like 5

I went deep into my notes and found SSR/One was July 9-11, 2004.  Apparently, no photographic evidence has survived. (whew . . . :ph34r: :ninja: :glare: :blink:

There were four SpineFrames including  :notworthy:  @andy york's 2002 LeMans, a guy named "Jeff" on a LongFrame black Lemans, and someone my notes call "ballabio bill " . . . @Bill Hagan -->:sun:

I left for SSR/One with 32,666 miles on mySport. 

Leaving for SSR XX with exactly 135,000 . . . :whistle:

• Like 5

On 9/1/2024 at 7:58 PM, docc said:

The NWS is forecasting 40-50% rain chances in north Georgia Friday, highs mid-70ºF. Modeling, of course, gets better as we get closer (high resolution models come into range at about 48 hours out).

Still early to etch forecasts in stone, but the Cherohala looks like a high of 62ºF at The Divide with a 40% rain chance. That'll be chilly at speed!

Sunday looks cool and clear in the entire region. The kind of air that Goozzees live for! :race:

23444.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Days away to SSR XX . . . mySport is wiped down and battery "conditioned."  All the boxes are ticked, plus a few that had to be decisively left alone.

"Set down the tools, docc, and step away from the Sport !!", (Waddington said). :nerd:

Parc fermé . . .

IMG_3122.jpg

IMG_3124.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, docc said:

Days away to SSR XX . . . mySport is wiped down and battery "conditioned."  All the boxes are ticked, plus a few that had to be decisively left alone.

"Set down the tools, docc, and step away from the Sport !!", (Waddington said). :nerd:

Parc fermé . . .

Mine was running when I put it away...

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 9/1/2024 at 6:58 PM, docc said:

Latest rain forecasts for the region have dropped to "slight chance." Along with very pleasant dew points/humidity. :thumbsup:

Big, V-twin air-cooled motor weather!  :D

• Like 3

All good.

But I am always mindful that God doesn’t watch Weather Channel. :whistle:

Bill

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Anyone crossing The Appalachian Divide should know that "feels like 90º" on The Plains (of Tellico) can "feel like" the upper 40ºs  on The Cherohala after a little dampness/shower/fog/cloud ceiling with wind chill at speed.

FWIW, I am using the U.S. National Weather Service (NWS) and other storm focused weather apps. Places like The Weather Channel™ are, IMO, entertainment focused and will show you a snowflake every chance they get.

Snowflakes sell. Meteorology a dull box of cloudy uncertainty. :ph34r: :ninja:

Yet . . . The Cherohala cloud ceiling is real . . .

DSCN3753.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

You blokes have good weekend. If all goes according to plan, I'll be spending a Guzzi weekend here.

Tents instead of cabins, not enough "facilities", but good people and a group ride on Saturday through beautiful countryside. :)

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/854709452#map=19/50.706699/11.326726

• Like 7