Motorcycle Grand Tour of Texas, 2024 edition

p6x

@PJPR01 you have a lot of luggage carrying appointment on your bike!!!

Nice pics!

• Like 1

Indeed...The Griso is set up nicely for touring:

Side bags, rear tail bag, tank bag that I switch back and forth to my Norge

1 clothing bag (water proof), 1 tent, 1 sleeping cot (Helinox, lightweight) all held on securely with 2 Rokstraps.

I enjoyed the softer denier of the bags of the Griso compared to the hard ones on my Norge...easy to put some extra hydration bottles in.

The bike has a few modifications I've done over the years:

Bar risers, new handlebars that are narrower than stock and more curved back towards me, Knight design lowered pegs with rubber inserts, Hyperpro rear spring, new driving lights for nighttime riding (super enjoyable), Corbin seat + Black sheep sheepskin, hardwired TomTom 550 GPS, after market TPMS system, phone Quadlock with vibration mount.

All day riding comfort, unbelievable power on demand, easily reaches triple digits without even breaking a sweat!  I daresay it's a rival for the Norge for touring setup this way.

@PJPR01

Look what I found....

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/380529721581655/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3Ae944539a-3697-45ac-97bb-6c26afc28cbf

Pity, it is not red.

At least, I can go to MPH and ask them about the bike.

Now there is something I don't understand: what does "Blue Title Bike" means? I checked out the Internet, and it says that title colors in Texas are specific to Texas, and a blue title may mean a salvaged bike, or a standard bike. In any case, a bike that is legal to ride...

My two motorcycle titles have a blue border. Is it what you call blue title?

• Like 1

That looks like a very decent deal...he has some tasty bits installed as well, looks well cared for, and the MOST important is that it indicates it has been Rollerized, which is an absolute must...you don't want to have to deal with getting the kits and having the roller tappets done.  Color of pipes at the header also looks good...so seems to be tuned properly.

I've never heard the term Blue Title before in Texas...but a quick search turns up what you would hope...it's a clear and unencumbered title, with no salvage or loss.   Pink or Purple seems to refer to a salvaged title...so you have a nice specimen there.  You could always get a Red/Black wrap!  :)

It does have a rear tank bag frame, finding the side bags is a quite difficult, but maybe not impossible.  A decent fairing (I have a spare Dart Marlin) that did a decent job, but the very very rare Givi A330 (if I remember correctly) that I bought from Kindoy makes the bike just silky smooth with zero buffeting and looks amazing.  

Definitely worthwhile looking at this one, on occasion a nice bike shows up on Griso Ghetto also...if you're going to be on the look for a Red/Black like mine, I'll keep my eyes open on the Ghetto and let you know!

I've been hunting for years for a pair of engine guards like he has...that's a nice find, and a bonus that Mike / Davey at MPH would know about it too.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

@PJPR01 It is on a Sunday, and Montgomery is only 55 minutes from Texas says Google maps!

I have submitted my candidature. My Quota is ready, said Davey, the last delay is for him to make the invoice...

I have never participated to one of those. How do you raise funds? just being there and riding your motorcycle?

3a6b3125-a22a-49fa-87b6-ec95a86e5d7c.jpg

A couple of the tour riders have mentioned this very worthy ride to me. I'd like to see if there is an interest amongst the tour riders to create a "Motorcycle Grand Tour of Texas Team" to ride in this year's event and help raise funds for this charity.

The Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation's Ride for Kids was named the American Motorcyclist Association’s Recreational Road Riding Organizer of the Year. They lead the way in funding childhood brain cancer research, support families affected by this disease, and advocate for policies that help patients, survivors, and their loved ones.

The "Ride for Kids" will take place on September 22, 2024. The ride will start and end at the Lone Star Community Center in Montgomery, TX.

If two or more folks respond to this article, I'll create a team for this event. Please use the button below to let me know if you want to take part as a team (Motorcycle Grand Tour of Texas Team) to ride in this event and help raise funds for a very worthy cause.

• Like 1

Hello P6X...I think the fund raising is like most activities, you have to ask friends, family for donations or possibly even contribute yourself.  I have never done a group ride before but will give it some consideration here over the next day and let you know.  Good to hear the Quota is coming out of aestivation (summer hibernation) finally.  

I do have a Purple Flag with the Motorcycle Grand Tour of Texas logo on it that I had bought from David...so I'm ready for the rally...will just need to find a way to attach it via a small flag pole of some sorts.

Bad news P6X…I checked the calendar…I’ll be up in Kansas that weekend…heading out a few days early to pick up a few more stops on the Tour.  If you do the ride…enjoy and  hopefully the group ride is a safe one and well organized.

13 hours ago, PJPR01 said:

Bad news P6X…I checked the calendar…I’ll be up in Kansas that weekend…heading out a few days early to pick up a few more stops on the Tour.  If you do the ride…enjoy and  hopefully the group ride is a safe one and well organized.

No problem; enjoy Kansas!

It is going to be a test for me. I have never yet ridden in a motorcycle group per se. The maximum I went out for a ride were three, that's a long time ago.

Since I got a confirmation notice, it means the ride is happening; more than two people have subscribed.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, p6x said:

No problem; enjoy Kansas!

It is going to be a test for me. I have never yet ridden in a motorcycle group per se. The maximum I went out for a ride were three, that's a long time ago.

Since I got a confirmation notice, it means the ride is happening; more than two people have subscribed.

It's easy. It's like any other day stuck in draggy traffic on your motorcycle except that all the other traffic are also motorcycles.  :glare:  :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@PJPR01

Saturday and Sunday I did a 10 stops hitch with the Hotel Texas as the final destination.

At the Hotel another rider chimed in;

Get this: his family, two kids, two dogs are on the trip. This is narrated to me...

Initially, I thought this was really nice. Having your whole family coming with you. But get this: his motorcycle is on a trailer, behind the car. When he gets to a stop, he unloads it, takes the picture, and on with the road trip.

I don't understand. I thought riding your bike is the gist of why you would participate. It gives you an objective, the mean reason why you would do it in the first place. I am aware that many do the same when they participate in popular motorcycle rallies, such as Sturgis, Daytona Beach, LoneStar.

Well, I guess one has to see it all, and some.

• Sad 1

Sounds like a "new" way to game the system...not at all in the spirit of the Tour, but, his gain/loss at the same time.  I was thinking about this scenario the other day for Marfa specifically as I'd like to take the family to Big Bend when the weather cools down for some adventures in the Rover and also pick up that last stop.  I think I'd rather just take my number tag and stand in front of the spot w/o the motorcycle and see if that counts.   

Fantastic progress on picking up the extra 10 spots...I'm hoping to do something like that in September on the way to Kansas...and then just 2 more in the valley...Palo Alto battlefield and Kingsville over a long weekend.

Hope all is well!

32 minutes ago, PJPR01 said:

in front of the spot w/o the motorcycle and see if that counts.

You are allowed 5 stops without your motorcycle, as long as you stand in the picture holding your flag.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, PJPR01 said:

Fantastic progress on picking up the extra 10 spots...I'm hoping to do something like that in September on the way to Kansas...and then just 2 more in the valley...Palo Alto battlefield and Kingsville over a long weekend.

Unfortunately, those "marathon" rides are tiring, especially by this weekend's temperatures! as you go further West, it gets incredibly hot! I was impressed by the V11, which took it all without flinching.

One thing I noticed, a lot of oil escaped from the final transmission oil breather. Probably due to the last portion of the ride, in sixth at 5k rpm, 104 degF temperature, long portions at sustained regime. Not sure what was the indexed one. Probably above 110 degF... if you open your visor, the hot air hits you like a blow torch! Unbelievable!

Anyway, I will update the report later.

• Like 1

Riding in these temps is really crazy...I did a couple of 150 mile loops these past weekends and the blowtorch is real!  You nailed it.

I'm riding with a full face balaclava that I wet completely and then put the helmet on, I'm also wearing SPF50 arm sleeves that I wet also...both provide some levels of relief, but in these temps, in about 30 minutes both are bone dry again and need to be re-wetted.  I can't imagine doing a 10 hour day though in these temps...I'd rather ride at night!

Hopefully temps in Sep will be no more than 90s or less, the heat index of 115 to 120 is just too hot.  By the way, I notice that Houston/Katy are generally 5-10 degrees hotter in real temp and heat index than up here on the north end of town...we're lucky to have more trees, less concrete...a very noticeable difference.  Riding in the Sam Houston National Forest with beautiful pine trees makes it much more tolerable with lots more shade and less concrete around.

How's the Quota...have you been able to ride it at all lately?

Edited by PJPR01
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, PJPR01 said:

How's the Quota...have you been able to ride it at all lately?

I am going to go get it tomorrow...

It took six months!!!

I am going to do a proper photo shoot with it.

• Like 1