Guzzi meeting in John Day 2024

1 hour ago, activpop said:

I asked about the branding iron. Here was the reply...

We have a branding iron that is specific to the Rally and others - that people are welcome to brand a piece of wood or if you have leather gloves, belt, etc that you'd like to brand you are welcome to do so. Roy Harvey from the Washington Moto Guzzi Club has been doing it for some time and will be there to assist and give pointers.  

You don't have to do it but it's available if you so desire.  

You can always use the branding iron the Yellowstone way....

8 minutes ago, p6x said:

You can always use the branding iron the Yellowstone way....

I'm still rinsing the Javex out of my eyes,after the thought of Docc in his micro shorts.

But I will contribute, to whatever libation fund is needed; 

if Docc decides to go all in on the branding theme,,,

:grin:  

:2c:

• Haha 1

Sounds like real motivation for Docc to ride out across country on his sport to the center of the modern civilized world, John Day Oregon, to be properly branded.  That would be a helluva ride on a sport….

Maybe i shouldn’t be, but I’m still mildly astounded that folks are coming from distance to John Day.  I’m quite fond of that area, but it’s pretty much just a wide spot in the road.  Yes, surrounded by some great riding, and I suppose a lot easier to arrange for space for a lot of folks to camp and hang out, so that largely addresses why such a place i suppose, but still seems odd. 

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Fun stuff here in John Day.  Lots of machines to gape at, but these v11’s are fitting.

not sure he’ll get the $10k asking for either one, but they are tight…

IMG_5249.jpeg

IMG_5239.jpeg

• Like 5

Was good to meet you “Activepop”!

I also got to reacquaint with an old friend or two from Alaska at John day, and in that group had a chance to see Dave Blue again (not from Alaska), a great guy who’s spent much of his life in the guzzi world, part as a guzzi tech rep, and on a guzzi race team, and the guy that I first gave Goldie to when I first acquired her.  I didn’t know Guzzi’s, other than I wanted one, so gave the champagne lemans to him to go through and assure it was dialed in to start things off.  He got her running sweet, so I had a baseline to know what to expect as “normal”, as I got my head around the machines.  Has been all “downhill” from there, with more Guzzis.

and was fun to chat with Dave Richardson, the Guzziology author (and former part owner of Moto Int’l), and a number of other great guzzi folks from all over (US and overseas).  Enjoyable event for sure.

pics show Dave Blue (blue shirt), and then an old friend who had just rolled his 71 Stornello onto the line for the eventual show…. whole line filled up with some great Guzzi’s, including another lovely Lemans.

IMG_5246.jpeg

IMG_5240.jpeg

IMG_5248.jpeg

Edited by Gmc28
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

When I look at these bikes, most of them look like they are right out of the dealership...

Were those ridden to the rassemblement? or were there transported? during the Lonestar Rally in Galveston, a lot of the bikers actually go there with their truck and the bike on a trailer.

5 hours ago, p6x said:

When I look at these bikes, most of them look like they are right out of the dealership...

Were those ridden to the rassemblement? or were there transported? during the Lonestar Rally in Galveston, a lot of the bikers actually go there with their truck and the bike on a trailer.

Most every bike was ridden there. Rider who came the furthest...a woman from New Hampshire.  Oldest rider...82 years old. My ass knows I rode...631 miles. I either need a new seat or an ass like @KINDOY2.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The two on the left were trailered...owner was hoping to sell them there. Not sure about the LeMans, but I saw the rider roll in with full gear. It was not for sale.

image.png

After spending Friday and Saturday at the John Day rally, I'd like to give my impressions of it. As a fairly new guy in the Guzzi world, I felt honored to be there. This was my first motorcycle rally of any kind that I have attended, and being bit by the bug I knew I would attend since I first heard about it over half a year ago. I mean, given it was in Oregon, it was a no brainer, right? It was sort of like church, with two wheels from Italy as the religion. The combination of knowledge, passion and experience was omnipresent. I was a fly on the wall to many conversations and got into others meeting many interesting folks. People rode in from all over Canada and the US. Lots from California, Oregon and Washington as expected, but all four corners of the country were represented with many states in between.  So many pulled in on older bikes giving testament to the long life of these Guzzi engines. 

A Falcone was ridden down from Seattle. Two Australians flew into California where one kept his bike and the other bought and registered a 1000SP to make the run over...he will be shipping it back home. Spoke to the woman who rode in from New Hampshire. She showed me pictures of her old Norge with Crater Lake in the backround. She said, "See, they are the same color!" Not her first rodeo.

I don't know all the variations and models, but my guess most all were there.

I had the pleasure of meeting Gmc28 who turned me on to a stellar route for my return trip. Eastern Oregon roads...smooth, curvy and no cars. So nice!  TwinAH rode from Canada on his nicely sorted out Stelvio. It's beautiful! If you knew him you would expect nothing less. Those were the only two forum members that I knew would be there.

What went down to making this the outstanding event it was came down to the people...the organizers, the volunteers and the riders.  Each and every one had something to say...I  mean, have you ever met anybody that didn't want to talk about their bikes? I had a blast!

• Like 7