I purchased a Shark Skwal i3;

16 hours ago, audiomick said:

I expect you'll find out sooner or later. B)

But I can't imagine a helmet producer not having thought about that. I expect that the mechanism is more or less water tight. :huh2:

If you really want to know, put the helmet on, and go under the shower. :whistle:

Well, you would be surprised.....

See, those engineers design equipment to comply to some typical conditions. They try to make the range as broad as possible, but the weather in Texas is unique, even more now than before.

If our Shark junior guys used the typical European drizzle to isolate that slider, then I am safe and dry.

If I was to tell you that for the past few days, we had those incredible storms here, with the rain resembling the monsoon, meaning that my shower dispense less water flow than the rain...

The heat has been so intense last year, that the coating behind my rearview mirrors flaked out, leaving blind patches. The tank protection dilated and came loose. All the elastomers exposed to the UVs aged incredibly fast. There are also some rubber which loses consistency after exposure, it becomes sticky and never regain its hardness.

Anyway, I will find out sooner than later, because so far, we have not been going a single day without one of those storms.

• 5 weeks later...

I have deluge tested the Skwal i3, and I can happily confirm that no water comes through the slider that operates the sun visor.

Furthermore, the lights come handy in the kind of storm I went through today. The sky was completely dark, only lightning would interrupt the penumbra.

Even if the lights make it look like the entrance of a brothel, I think it has some other useful purposes! ha!

• Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Yesterday, I was able to confirm the goods of the i3, Michelin Road 6, KNOX shirt, with a monumental trial by fire!!!

I started from Grande Salines (E on the map) to my place of residence, (F on the map) about 230 miles (370km) 4 hours+ ride under torrential rain, throughout the ride.

The i3 was switched into flashing front and back lights, the visor held its own in terms of not fogging. I think this particular travel is most likely in the worst environment possible. Safety would have dictated that I stopped, but I felt good riding in the deluge. Once you are completely drenched, even if unpleasant, it does not make any difference.

I refrained from going full I-45, and it was a good decision. On smaller roads, you don't get as much projections from the larger vehicles, that makes visibility even more. I only rejoined the 45 at Huntsville. I refueled at Trinity, and this was the hardest part. Entering the Gas Station's market wet, the AC freezes you on the spot! I literally was dripping water from just standing... lol!!!

I will comment on the other pieces of gear in their appropriate topics (KNOX shirt and Michelin Road 6).

20240722 Grande Saline to Houston

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I found a full review of the Helmet from the NL web based seller;

I would only say that I will never purchase another helmet which does not integrate the sun visor inside.

• Like 1