El Paso, TX to Anchorage, AK

If Lolo pass is on your list now (should be… excellent riding), then getting there from Bozeman would allow u consider this little route, from Anaconda to Hamilton (near the east end of Lolo):

was going to paste a google map link, but it won’t paste, so just type in Hamilton, MT, and directions to there from Anacaonda.  Will provide a few options, but the most direct one is the one you want, route 1 to the 38.   The 38 is Skulkaho pass, and is a seasonal road, but should be fine in June, and loooks like it’s open now.  The west end of all that, Skulkaho, is the fun part.  

Been about 5yrs since I’ve done that, so could be better or worse.  Some fun paved sections mid point, then it goes to good-packed gravel for a while on the western end.  There was no one on that pass when i was there, and I had to zoom way in to see the road, but now it pops right up.  Heck, maybe they paved it. 

4 hours ago, Gmc28 said:

If Lolo pass is on your list now (should be… excellent riding), then getting there from Bozeman would allow u consider this little route, from Anaconda to Hamilton (near the east end of Lolo):

was going to paste a google map link, but it won’t paste, so just type in Hamilton, MT, and directions to there from Anacaonda.  Will provide a few options, but the most direct one is the one you want, route 1 to the 38.   The 38 is Skulkaho pass, and is a seasonal road, but should be fine in June, and loooks like it’s open now.  The west end of all that, Skulkaho, is the fun part.  

Been about 5yrs since I’ve done that, so could be better or worse.  Some fun paved sections mid point, then it goes to good-packed gravel for a while on the western end.  There was no one on that pass when i was there, and I had to zoom way in to see the road, but now it pops right up.  Heck, maybe they paved it. 

Done. Thanks, that looks like a nice little addition.

I don't know anything about .gpx files, but I've generated one on Garmin BaseCamp. If anyone wants to view and comment my route (I'm only planning a route to Vancouver, then it's wing it) I'll share it- is that something I can put up in here?

El Paso to Canada.gpx

Four Corners can't hold a candle to Monument Valley!:huh2:

100_0378.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pressureangle said:

I don't know anything about .gpx files, but I've generated one on Garmin BaseCamp. If anyone wants to view and comment my route (I'm only planning a route to Vancouver, then it's wing it) I'll share it- is that something I can put up in here?

El Paso to Canada.gpx 194.04 kB · 4 downloads

That route Looks like I’ll be jealous… nice.

not to get too route-geeky, but if you really have the time and want to grab some more tasty, I’d suggest adding a day on the west end of Lolo pass, with a side trip shooting south from about Kooskia to the snake river canyon, cross over at Oxbow, then ride up North Pine Road to Joseph (usually deserted and some excellent riding).  Joseph has a neat place to stay, and is a nice area, or press on to Walla walla.  The route to walla walla from Joseph can go a couple of ways, both nice, one the longer option heading north up the west side of the snake river with very different views then what you had on the east side, and then FS dirt roads on a great, remote but easy (if u have a good map/gps on the bike) dirt road route over to walla walla.  Or just take the tarmac to walla walla, which is also quite nice.  Walla walla is a great little town to get a room, a great dinner, and of course some excellent wine.  But that all adds a day.  If you’re interested, that route is not complicated but would merit sending a .gpx route as it involves a number of very small roads, and i can shoot you something if u like. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gmc28 said:

That route Looks like I’ll be jealous… nice.

not to get too route-geeky, but if you really have the time and want to grab some more tasty, I’d suggest adding a day on the west end of Lolo pass, with a side trip shooting south from about Kooskia to the snake river canyon, cross over at Oxbow, then ride up North Pine Road to Joseph (usually deserted and some excellent riding).  Joseph has a neat place to stay, and is a nice area, or press on to Walla walla.  The route to walla walla from Joseph can go a couple of ways, both nice, one the longer option heading north up the west side of the snake river with very different views then what you had on the east side, and then FS dirt roads on a great, remote but easy (if u have a good map/gps on the bike) dirt road route over to walla walla.  Or just take the tarmac to walla walla, which is also quite nice.  Walla walla is a great little town to get a room, a great dinner, and of course some excellent wine.  But that all adds a day.  If you’re interested, that route is not complicated but would merit sending a .gpx route as it involves a number of very small roads, and i can shoot you something if u like. 

Probably won't have a day on the way up, but maybe; not my decision. However, I'll take the route in case we can, or if I come back South on the return trip, and even if not I'll get up there again sometime hopefully before I age out. :)

• Like 1

Not to detract from the interesting route planning, but I wanted to contribute to the DEET selection. This is, hands down, the most effective product available based on many years of field experience taking groups into the Tennessee woods. Lotion is more effective than sprays, apply only twice daily and the encapsulation limits absorption:

https://www.sawyer.com/products/controlled-release-insect-repellent

We also used Permethrin clothing treatment (per the US DOD) to good effect, but we were primarily battling tick-borne illness rather than mosquitos. Still, mosquitoes can definitely bite through fabric and the permethrin may be worthwhile.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, leroysch said:

100_0378.jpg

I read all the Tony Hillerman novels....

42 minutes ago, docc said:

Not to detract from the interesting route planning, but I wanted to contribute to the DEET selection. This is, hands down, the most effective product available based on many years of field experience taking groups into the Tennessee woods. Lotion is more effective than sprays, apply only twice daily and the encapsulation limits absorption:

https://www.sawyer.com/products/controlled-release-insect-repellent

We also used Permethrin clothing treatment (per the US DOD) to good effect, but we were primarily battling tick-borne illness rather than mosquitos. Still, mosquitoes can definitely bite through fabric and the permethrin may be worthwhile.

Already got my Permethri-Jammies packed lol
https://www.insectshield.com

Thanks for the salve recommendation, though. I'll find it and hope we don't have much occasion to need it. We'll see.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, leroysch said:

100_0378.jpg

Just not going to have the time for it, unless it's on the way back. Just too much to see...if only that stock would come in lol

7 hours ago, Pressureangle said:

Probably won't have a day on the way up, but maybe; not my decision. However, I'll take the route in case we can, or if I come back South on the return trip, and even if not I'll get up there again sometime hopefully before I age out. :)

all good.  this actually adds 2 days, not one so i suppose it might be a bit much to bite off as an add-on, but here it is for your viewing pleasure....

in theory i've attached a google map link below that shows a whole, long route.  if the link works, note that the route shown can be broken up however you want of course.  Also of note is that if you were to do this route, and its a good one, there are some nifty options that won't easily show on the google map link:  on the way south along the 95, you can break off and use FS roads down to or toward the Snake river, but takes some homework (zoom in, and/or use a different map app for more detail... Gaia, or Rever, etc) to see which routes make sense.  Similar on the other side of the Oxbow dam (west side of snake river canyon), you can follow the paved route that google shows, or snake your way up on some gravel backroads. both good options.   there is some gravel on the route west of Oxbow whichever way you'd go, but all very "civilized". 

the route across from Anatone to Walla Walla is a hoot for an adventure bike like your GS.  nothing challenging, just gravel/dirt 2-track with nothing technical, but a lot of great views as you ride along a usually deserted high ridgeline.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZFYk9fAbVkLiSovD6

and just offering that while you gotta be prepared for it all weather-wise, i'd guess you'll not have issues with cold in AK in July.  lots of tall mountains, but the roads are mostly all at lower elevations.  Whitehorse canada is often a place for shorts and t-shirt in the summer when in town, and for me the cooler the better at night if i'm in a tent.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pressureangle said:

Just not going to have the time for it, unless it's on the way back. Just too much to see...if only that stock would come in lol

On the plus side, the number of women spreading their arms...and legs...in order to be in 4 states at once was...entertaining.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, leroysch said:

On the plus side, the number of women spreading their arms...and legs...in order to be in 4 states at once was...entertaining.

So many jokes, so little time

• Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...

Are you planning on running through Vancouver Canada?

If so send me a note as that's my hood, I can provide wine if needed. :bier:

We are also taking another run at Yukon/Alaska this year........... waiting for insect levels to fall off a little.

John day this week should be fun.

Ciao