Titanium goodness

In my continuing journey to improve my machining skills I decided to make replacement Titanium bolts and washers that mount the rear bevel box torque arm bracket to the bevel box. One bolt and two washers done one bolt to go. I've also got enough Ti stock to make a replacement bevel box torque arm bolt as well.

Phil

IMG_3681.JPG

IMG_3677.JPG

• Like 9

Do ti fasteners require thread lube or anti-seize when you are assembling ?

4 minutes ago, gstallons said:

Yes, copper anti seize.

Phil

1 hour ago, gstallons said:

Excellent idea, as they can gall.

4 minutes ago, gstallons said:

I know stainless steel is "dry" and I wasn't sure about titanium . 

And I thought a thread sealant/anti-seize or even a lubricant is indicated with any dis-similar metals threaded together? :huh2:

2 hours ago, docc said:

And I thought a thread sealant/anti-seize or even a lubricant is indicated with any dis-similar metals threaded together? :huh2:

The thing people forget with dissimilar metal use is there needs to be some form of electrolyte between the 2 for any issue to arise. Putting dissimilar materials together in a benign environment isn't an issue but in a salt air or salt water laden environment then you can have problems. 

Phil 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dissimilar metals are the least likely to gall. Think steel shaft/bronze bushing..  Similar metals such as aluminum cannot be threaded together dry . I KNOW .

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, gstallons said:

Dissimilar metals are the least likely to gall. Think steel shaft/bronze bushing..  Similar metals such as aluminum cannot be threaded together dry . I KNOW .

I've used a lot of aluminium fasteners in aluminium cases without anti-seize and never had an issue. It's what I used before Titanium became affordable. They were anodised 7000 series though.

A steel shaft in a bronze bushing is a bearing situation not a galling situation we are talking about here. In Ducati oil pumps the driven steel gear rotates on a ground steel post without any galling.

Phil 

• Like 1

Taking apart an old Jap salt water outboard, hmm  :o

Cheers Tom.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2024 at 3:39 AM, gstallons said:

Maybe i should clarify my statement , you cannot have the exact same materials rubbing together or threaded together .  They will (most of the time ) gall and become one. This is from experience . I did this after o/hauling a front bevel drive on a Volvo. Just about the time I was checking clearances the outer housing and the inner housing became one .  

The anodized fasteners became different from the aluminum with the anodizing coating the aluminum. I am pretty sure the oil pump housing was cast iron and the gears were steel. I haven't seen all oil pump housings on this planet so this is a theory.  

If you are happy assembling things dry , proceed . 

You know you have fallen in with Class A Geaheads when they all gather to drool over bolts. :sun:

Those are Class A Drool-able! :food:

• Like 6