Titanium goodness

On 6/25/2024 at 8:54 AM, Lucky Phil said:

... how to cut internal threads.

With a tap, I would have thought.... :whistle: :grin:

Seriously though, do let us know how it goes. I've been following this thread with some interest. :)

Sure , if you have a tap w/that thread pitch . Also the threads come to an abrupt stop. Just remove this jam nut and give it a look or take it to Fastenal and ask for help .

17 minutes ago, gstallons said:

Fastenal

I have the impression that Phil might have to go to some trouble to visit them. They don't seem to be present in Australia. :huh2:

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, gstallons said:

Fastenal

I read that as "Fastena!" . . . :grin:

And thought, "Damn, I remember Fast Tina, too!" :sun:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gstallons said:

Sure , if you have a tap w/that thread pitch . Also the threads come to an abrupt stop. Just remove this jam nut and give it a look or take it to Fastenal and ask for help .

I was thinking more of single point threading it and there is a larger ID visible on the outside of the nut that means you can thread all the way through.

Phil

• Like 2

I was just popping off. IDK if that jam nut is threaded all the way or not and I am too lazy to go o/s and look . Is this going on a red frame or black frame ? It matters.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, gstallons said:

...if that jam nut is threaded all the way or not ...

I'm almost completely certain that, on my black frame 2002 Le Mans, it is. :)

5 minutes ago, gstallons said:

I was just popping off. IDK if that jam nut is threaded all the way or not and I am too lazy to go o/s and look . Is this going on a red frame or black frame ? It matters.

Red frame. Smaller diameter.

Phil

• Like 3

IDK if I can find a jam nut loose out in the shop but I will look and see if I can find and check the thread pitch . I am sure it is extra fine !

35 minutes ago, gstallons said:

IDK if I can find a jam nut loose out in the shop but I will look and see if I can find and check the thread pitch . I am sure it is extra fine !

It is 1mm pitch.

Phil 

• Like 2

The facts .  The only pivot and jam nut I have is a (I measured) 20mm X 1.0 thread pitch . The outer hex is a 30mm head on the jam nut.  Searching Fastenal website gives only 20x2.5 thread pitch only. You can Google and find plenty of offerings there . Not all taps/dies are created equal .  Maybe someone will chime in on their favorite brand(s) of taps. 

The miracle of all miracles . I keep LOTS of things .a.k.a. JUNK in many plastic drawers . @ 3:45 a.m. I walked out into the shop , opened the first drawer and "presto" found the jam nut/pivot bolt .  Remind Deanna to purchase Lottery ticket today !

• Like 1
  • Haha 2