Mistral pipes circa 2024

I had scoured the interwebs to try and find some photos of the finish of currently manufactured Mistral exhaust mufflers with no luck.

Mistral recently updated their website but the images are still poor.

I was interested in how well finished they were, what the laser etched logo looked like and how the satin finish looked close up.

The guys at MG Cycle were great to deal with so I purchased a set recently.

They were very well packed. Each was wrapped in a layer of clear plastic sheet, then wrapped in bubble wrap and then wrapped in heavy corrugated cardboard...... there was plenty of protection.

I was pleased with the finish and so I thought it might be of interest to others to see what they look like close up, if anyone is considering them for their V11.

The laser logo has replaced the old red logo and it is a lot more subtle.

I also purchased the hangers for them because they are the high mount ovals.

I can't say these are well done.... welding is poor and they look like they were wrapped up before the paint had time to dry. I will have to redo them myself.

IMG_4695.jpg

IMG_4699.jpg

IMG_4698.jpg

IMG_4696.jpg

IMG_4692.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I have a set of Mistral on my V7, absolutely love them. With the DB killers removed, it's music!

• Like 1

My v11 had mistrals on it when I bought it from the previous owner.  They sound perfect.  Loud enough, deep enough, a perfect rumble. 

For my V7 though I went with Agostinis, also extremely happy with how they sound.

Not to crazy about the new logo, but at least they're putting a logo on them. When I ordered, it was a decal. One thing I do see is that brushed finish is pretty.  Mine were bead blasted. 

I have the long conical shape muffler in satin black on my Griso. I think the unit came flawless and the satin black looks and sounds great on the bike. Haven't removed the db killer yet.

On 5/29/2024 at 12:56 PM, cowtownchemist said:

My v11 had mistrals on it when I bought it from the previous owner.  They sound perfect.  Loud enough, deep enough, a perfect rumble. 

For my V7 though I went with Agostinis, also extremely happy with how they sound.

Aren’t the agostini’s made by mistral?  

• Like 1

Ive had Mistral oval Ti cans on my Rosso for at least 15 years.  They have been great.  Mine are the standard mount ones, using the stock hangers and have never been an issue for grounding, even in high lean turns.  The first set of decals were on foil and they faded out in a couple months.  The next set are the raised Mistral logo's...have held up fine for about 2 years now, but the etched finish looks great on yours!  Enjoy the rumble.  

• Like 1

On 6/2/2024 at 11:58 AM, Gmc28 said:

Aren’t the agostini’s made by mistral?  

No, Agostini is a separate company.  They make moto guzzi specific exhaust and some other parts.  They are actually located just around the corner from the Moto Guzzi location in Mandello del Lario.  You can find their parts from a few places here in the US like AF1 racing or GTcycles.  Or you can order direct from their site in Italy which may save you a little bit of money, but take longer to ship overseas  https://ecommerce.agostinimandello.com/index.php

Agostini is a good place to shop and get stuff . Do not plan on returning ANYTHING . The VAT will kill you 

• 1 month later...

So I managed to let one of the Mistral exhaust hangers accidentally touch a rag with gasoline on it while installing the mufflers. 

I noticed a small blemish in the paint. When I wiped it with a new clean rag, all the paint came off.

The initial contact area with the rag was perhaps 20 to 25mm, (an inch or so), but the vapors and proximity affected a larger area.

My fault entirely but the paint is obviously rubbish.... 

I had to soak both hangers in solvent, wipe them clean, sand them lightly and apply a proper aluminum primer and satin black top coat.

Not impressed. Why do the Italians take such shortcuts on some things?? 

You'd think they would be powder coated or at least have a properly applied primer and top coat.

So annoying!

IMG_4826.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

A photo during installation.

I will post more later under the "What did you do for your V11 today" thread

IMG_4923.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DucatiGuzziIndian said:

... the paint is obviously rubbish....

The consoling thought is that you discovered that before you mounted the things, and corrected the fault. If it had shown up after mounting them, you would have had to take it all apart again to do what you did before mounting them in the first place. :)

But I would expect the part to be at least properly painted, preferebly powder coated, by the manufacturer. :huh2:

Edited by audiomick