Houston is under a extreme heat advisory, so it is time for yet another armored shirt; this one is from KNOX Clothing: UK Brand (made in China).

It seems that we are going from one extreme to the other...

After enduring repeat storms within a week of one another, we are back into triple digits temperatures.

Last year, I rode up to 115 degF (46 degC)in my Bowtex shirt. Triple A protection.

This year, it is going to be KNOX Urbane MK3 armored shirt. Those shirts are most likely going to be better than the Bowtex, because they have mesh panels.

I found this guy's review, made in Dubai, 40 degC. Of course, there is no humidity in the U.A.E..

• Like 2

Crazy, isn't it?  We have had from 9ºF to 85ºF in the NE USA. Record rainfall with local flood warnings. About 20 years ago or so, DW bought me a Marsee mesh jacket at CycleGear. They can still be found on eBay. Full mesh, it is about as warm as riding with a long-sleeved T-shirt. I judiciously ventilated the back pad and it does help with airflow. Do you remember the air conditioned helmet back in the 80s? I forget the brand, but it was short-lived. I see that AGV offered one in '87-'88. https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/would-you-buy-an-air-conditioned-helmet

However, I now see this new helmet out:  https://feherhelmets.com/

2 hours ago, po18guy said:

About 20 years ago or so, DW bought me a Marsee mesh jacket at CycleGear. They can still be found on eBay.

This is where I bought mine, upon your recommendation!

This is the one that I am currently using. It is the only mesh jacket I have. Unfortunately, I purchased it larger than my size, the idea was to put my TechAir 5 air bag underneath.

1 hour ago, p6x said:

This is where I bought mine, upon your recommendation!

This is the one that I am currently using. It is the only mesh jacket I have. Unfortunately, I purchased it larger than my size, the idea was to put my TechAir 5 air bag underneath.

D'oh! I have a Cortech back protector, which is great, but also insulates, Wicked. hot in the heat. Remember those old evaporative burlap bags that car drivers used in the 50s? I know there is evap clothing, but it quickly dries and then there you are, hot again. 

13 hours ago, po18guy said:

D'oh! I have a Cortech back protector, which is great, but also insulates, Wicked. hot in the heat. Remember those old evaporative burlap bags that car drivers used in the 50s? I know there is evap clothing, but it quickly dries and then there you are, hot again. 

I have dropped the airbag idea; I only wore it once on a trip! I should sell it to someone that lives in a more tempered climate.

It is sad to give up, because safety is more important than comfort, but when it is 100 degrees outside, it is just not possible. Besides, I am not even sure if at those temperatures, it is still within its operating envelope!

If anyone wants to purchase an airbag, opt for a tethered one.

Received it today....

Faster than the Skwal I3 that came from The Netherlands.

• Like 1

You will soon know its effectiveness! Apparently, we have a much better relationship with the Royal Mail than with others. I have received fasteners from England to the west coast USA in 7 days. That is quicker than some domestic service. 

17 hours ago, po18guy said:

That is quicker than some domestic service.

True! Although the delivery was made by UPS, it took only 48 hours more or less.

Texas is back to the temperatures we already experienced in 2023, unfortunately. I took a short ride yesterday to check my new helmet, with the Bowtex elite shirt which is AAA. the Knox is only AA.

Right away, I could differentiate the armor between the two. The Knox' is a lot thicker, and heavier.

The heat index is again in the triple.

Protection is hot. Kevlar vests are hot. In the law enforcement world the expression is: "I'd rather be hot than shot." Cannot fault that.

• Like 1

I did my first (short) ride with the UPIII.

There is a significant flow of air through the mesh, yes. It is better than the Bowtex which has none. The UPIII has a better slim fit but the air circulation is not making you feel a lot more comfortable than in the Marsee.

I am guessing that if the place was not so humid, it may work better. But it is definitively an improvement from the Bowtex in terms of air flow.

The Marsee is still relevant, though.

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Guy on a Kawi forum is lamenting the high temps in Cali. I suggested a Marsee jacket, But, what about a hydration pack with ice water which feeds hoses that can drip on chest or back, or across the shoulders?  Or a frozen back-sized gel pack in the back armor pocket? Chiropractors and physical therapists sell them. Short term, but that may be all you need. A plus is that ice for a hydration pack you can get along the road.

How about an A/C helmet? https://feherhelmets.com/

C'mon! someone in Oz must know! It's bleeding hot in summer there!

Edited by po18guy
4 hours ago, po18guy said:

Guy on a Kawi forum is lamenting the high temps in Cali. I suggested a Marsee jacket, But, what about a hydration pack with ice water which feeds hoses that can drip on chest or back, or across the shoulders?  Or a frozen back-sized gel pack in the back armor pocket? Chiropractors and physical therapists sell them. Short term, but that may be all you need. A plus is that ice for a hydration pack you can get along the road.

How about an A/C helmet? https://feherhelmets.com/

C'mon! someone in Oz must know! It's bleeding hot in summer there!

Yesterday, I rode to the Iron Power Sport Triumph dealership to order oil.

Temperature 97 deg F, felt 109 deg F; I went with the KNOX shirt, and it is painful. Even with the mesh air intake, hot air is still hot air, no way around it.

On the way to, at posted speed, it is not comfortable, but bearable. On the way back, there was a major accident on the highway, resulting in miles long stop and go, and the uncomfort became more pronounced.

Two weeks ago, I was in Phoenix, with a measured temperature of 106 deg F, and it did not feel as bad as here. The major inconvenience is of course the humidity which acts as the media to transmit.

I have read about those "cooling" contraptions, and they may be suitable for shorter rides. My understanding is their effectiveness is very limited, especially when riding a motorcycle in our current environment.

I think the only system that would probably work is an astronauts' suit, completely hermetical, with the temporary chemical cooling unit carried in a bag. Maybe a company will come up with a system that can be integrated to motorcycles. Or something like a dry diving suit, similar to what is used to dive in cold waters.

Apart from riding early in the morning, or late in the afternoon, there is not much mitigation I can think of to make the situation less stressing.

I think the major aspect of this situation is your own health. So far, I am able to ride in the heat without any other issue than the uncomfort. But I know the signs that precede a heat stroke. I don't even need to drink that much at all, even if it is one of the recommendations. I stay away from those industrial beverages, water is the best. Another tip which I have used for a long time and that seems to work, at least for me, I do not eat during the journey. Only when I reach my destination.

• Like 1

I've got an older Dainese jacket and pants that have a mesh similar to the Knox (Dainese calls it Boomerang mesh). It definitely moves air but again, if you going slow or sitting still, that doesn't help much.

7 hours ago, p6x said:

... the humidity which acts as the media to transmit.

Not quite. When the air is very humid, your sweat does not evaporate as quickly, and therefore your sweating cannot cool you as effectively as in drier conditions.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, audiomick said:

Not quite. When the air is very humid, your sweat does not evaporate as quickly, and therefore your sweating cannot cool you as effectively as in drier conditions.

I meant, the sauna impression as soon as you leave a place with AC, this heavy wetness in the air.

• Like 1