Houston is under a extreme heat advisory, so it is time for yet another armored shirt; this one is from KNOX Clothing: UK Brand (made in China).

Yes, we are talking about the same thing. :)

The first time I noticed it was getting off a plane in Brisbane. We had flown from Melbourne, and in those days one exited the plane direct into open air. It felt like getting hit in the face with a warm, damp cloth. :grin:

On 7/4/2024 at 12:13 PM, audiomick said:

Yes, we are talking about the same thing. :)

The first time I noticed it was getting off a plane in Brisbane. We had flown from Melbourne, and in those days one exited the plane direct into open air. It felt like getting hit in the face with a warm, damp cloth. :grin:

I am just back from Burnet Texas, I had to give up. I was in an "older" type of resort, and the room temperature was 85F/30C with the window air-conditioning set to minimum temperature. It is so hot that any kind of activity becomes a burden.

I had booked an astronomy presentation, and even then, could not properly see the Milky Way because of the humidity in the air. The setup was ideal, since the moon was 1%.

Now we have to contend with Beryl...

• Like 1

My location is now in the tail of Beryl, and let's say it was quite the experience, again!

We had the Derecho in May, 6 days without power, and we also lost power this time; fortunately, it came back a few minutes ago, partially.

The whirlwind was like mini tornadoes and a lot of foliage and trees have again been uprooted. Lots of cleaning will be required.

Fortunately, this time we still had a semblance of phone network, so we could monitor the Beryl path. The gusting is the most impressive as you go from complete calm to a sudden force gale.

Losing the Internet is really like losing your lifeline to communications.

• Like 3

I have wet tested the KNOX Armored shirt under a tropical deluge this morning, and I can confirm if you could be totally drenched by the rain continuously, then riding in the searing heat would be no problem....

At speed, the droplets of rain seriously ping you through the mesh fabric.

It was an interesting experience.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

As in the i3 helmet topic, I want to do a quick report on the ride I did yesterday, from Grande Saline to Houston;

This was from point E to point F, 4 hours + ride under a continuous tropical storm. I posted a photo of what it looked like, because we still have the same kind of weather today in H'town.

I was wearing the Armored shirt, a pair of reinforced riding jeans, motorcycle non-impermeable boots. I rode all the way with each and every piece of garment fully water saturated, as going into a swimming pool fully clothed.

I did one refueling stop on the way, in Trinity, just before Huntsville. When I was in the Gas Station minimarket, my clothes were dripping water.

The only reason why I was actually able to continue my trip is because in Texas, the temperatures allow you to not freeze, even when you are water logged. Of course, without the sun, the temperatures are actually below 80 deg F. Once you are wet, then you get used to it. I am not going to say it is not unpleasant, but it does not really change much of what you are doing.

The main reason why we usually use rain protection gear, or at least in Europe, is when you are wet, the wind ices you completely.

My KNOX shirt has dried in one night. I left it dripping in the garage yesterday when I arrived.

20240722 Grande Saline to Houston IMG_0974

• Like 1
19 hours ago, p6x said:

... I posted a photo of what it looked like...

Thats funny, the view out of your visor looks almost exactly like the view over the bonnet of a Porsche. :huh2:

• Haha 1