Best tune route for Mistral mufflers

Gentlemen

Wanting to install my recently purchased Mistral mufflers but need some advice on the correct course of action regarding a tune.

I've read the near 50 pages on tunes using Guzzidiag, etc but I have neither the time, ability nor inclination to become a temporary computer geek just to screw around with it.

What's the consensus on the easiest way for a non tech person to get a correct tune for the Mistrals'

Any assistance is hugely appreciated.

7 minutes ago, DucatiGuzziIndian said:

Gentlemen

Wanting to install my recently purchased Mistral mufflers but need some advice on the correct course of action regarding a tune.

I've read the near 50 pages on tunes using Guzzidiag, etc but I have neither the time, ability nor inclination to become a temporary computer geek just to screw around with it.

What's the consensus on the easiest way for a non tech person to get a correct tune for the Mistrals'

Any assistance is hugely appreciated.

No "correct tune" required. Just bolt them on and ride it on the stock factory map.

Phil

• Like 4

I don't completely agree with Phil, but I do agree that I would start with what he said and see how it runs. It is certainly possible that it will be more then satisfactory with Mistral's and the stock map. Unless it is not, I would leave it like that. If it is not satisfactory that way, I would start with the standard tune up procedure to make sure your baseline is right. If it is still not to your liking only then would I start messing with the tune. And to mess with the tune you can either load a map from one of the maps already made, which is what I would do, or you could come up with a custom map, which I would not do.

But I would bolt them on and see, first.

• Like 4

I assume its for your 01 V-11 sport? ..As long  you have done the COMPLETE  Tune up ( which you don't have to be a geek to do) 

as has been documented here by docc and a a couple others it should run very well with the Mistrals.

• Like 1

I had my Guzzi retuned recently, and I am glad I did because it is a completely different motorcycle.

I have Staintune exhausts, but what really changed after the retune, which included zeroing of the throttle position sensor, is the fueling imperfections that are very well documented by many around the 3000 rpm mark, have completely vanished.

There is also a noticeable difference in fuel consumption. Initially, my V11 was really frugal. After the retune, the MPG has considerably decreased, but the Le Mans runs like the wind...

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, p6x said:

I had my Guzzi retuned recently, and I am glad I did because it is a completely different motorcycle.

I have Staintune exhausts, but what really changed after the retune, which included zeroing of the throttle position sensor, is the fueling imperfections that are very well documented by many around the 3000 rpm mark, have completely vanished.

There is also a noticeable difference in fuel consumption. Initially, my V11 was really frugal. After the retune, the MPG has considerably decreased, but the Le Mans runs like the wind...

lol, throw more fuel at it, that's always a cure!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, GuzziMoto said:

I don't completely agree with Phil, but I do agree that I would start with what he said and see how it runs. It is certainly possible that it will be more then satisfactory with Mistral's and the stock map. Unless it is not, I would leave it like that. If it is not satisfactory that way, I would start with the standard tune up procedure to make sure your baseline is right. If it is still not to your liking only then would I start messing with the tune. And to mess with the tune you can either load a map from one of the maps already made, which is what I would do, or you could come up with a custom map, which I would not do.

But I would bolt them on and see, first.

I have had 5 different muffler combo's on my bike as a 2 valver and 2 different cross overs and the bike ran well/exactly the same on all of them. Below is the "delta" map of a 2000 V11 Sport main fuel map compared to the factory "Titanium" main map. So you know the expensive new ECU they supply with the Titanium mufflers same as Ducati used to do with the approved Termi exhausts. Note there is zero difference in the fuel map. Ducati used to do a similar thing, sell you an $1800ecu with Termi mufflers and just add 3% fuel everywhere which wasn't necessary. My 1198 has a Full Ti Akropovic exhaust and what do Akra say to do when you fit their system? Nothing. Fit it and ride it which I have done and it's fine. You want to get the absolute maximum out of a set of mufflers or exhaust combo on pretty much any bike then you'll need to map it but for 99% of bikes 99% of the time it isn't necessary in my experience. You might need to tweak the Co and the air bleeds a little but other than that install and ride. 

Screenshot 2021-11-02 121810.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Phil's spot on.

Here's the thing about exhausts; unless the system you are replacing is poorly designed and the system you replace it with is very well designed, they have near zero effect on engine tune. 99.9% of exhaust effect on fueling happenss in the headpipes and crossover, if there is one. After that it's sound mitigation. Even then, a quiet muffler has very little effect except at WOT. The main advantage to an exhaust change is weight, particularly if it has a catalytic converter. And of course we all love the boom. 

• Like 2

You guys are phenomenal.

I wish you were all here in Seattle, because i'd buy each one of you a beer!

Phil: That pretty much what I understood from reading your lengthy posts on the issue. Thanks mate.

Kindoy2: yes of course and that is done. Thanks!

Pressure: Makes perfect sense especially on 4 strokes. (2 strokes are different kettle of fish of course). Headers, crossovers and these days, the catalytic converter, all have a lot more impact on exhaust gas extraction. On the Indian motorcycle forum I frequent, a lot of guys have removed their catalytic converters and LOST torque due to lack of back pressure. Some of them are not very happy about that!

I'll pull the plugs now and photograph them. Then fit the Mistrals and check plug color after a few long rides to make sure its not running to lean, but I don't expect any noticeable difference.

Thank you again fine gentlemen!

• Like 3

Checking plugs will give an indication, not the whole history. Yes I thought that was the answer, some time ago, long ago.

You will feel it.

Cheers Tom.