Oil leak at front of the motor

Drahchir

I’m not sure if I’m in the right place for this question. I do have an oil leak. I’m guessing because it’s not had a good run for a while. I’m looking at it and I recon it’s from the timing chain gasket? 
If anyone could direct me to the right place on this issue would be greatly appreciated 👍🏻

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Drahchir said:

I’m not sure if I’m in the right place for this question. I do have an oil leak. I’m guessing because it’s not had a good run for a while. I’m looking at it and I recon it’s from the timing chain gasket? 
If anyone could direct me to the right place on this issue would be greatly appreciated 👍🏻

Yeah, my man, let's start a new thread for you in Technical Topics and get to the bottom of your issue

Is the leak on the right or left?

@Drahchir, if the leak is on the left a common source is the crank position sensor. This is the sensor in front of the cylinder with the two hex drive fasteners. Sometimes, just snugging up the fasteners is enough to address the leak. Otherwise, it uses a small Viton O-ring (#112 SAE or metric equivalent).  Be mindful of the thin spacer as it indexes the cam timing.

DSCN1080.JPG

These sensors might also leak through the wiring leading me to coat mine in JB Weld epoxy many years ago.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Drahchir said:

What bike are you speaking of? I see you only have a Griso and Thruxton listed.

15 minutes ago, LaGrasta said:

What bike are you speaking of? I see you only have a Griso and Thruxton listed.

IMG_0846.jpeg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Drahchir said:

... I reckon it’s from the timing chain gasket...

Apart from anything else that it might be, be aware of the breather hose that runs from the frame behind the steering head to the top of the motor just in front of the gearbox.

This is the hose

GU30157400.jpg

part #18 on the parts diagramm

https://wendelmotorraeder.de/oelpumpe-v11-nakedle-manns-01-02-ex-30_3006_300602_30060202_3006020230_300602023003.html

The hose gets old and hard, and cracks. The cracks seem to generally happen at the first bend away from the ends.

When the front goes, it can look like a leak from the front of the motor somewhere. When the back goes, it can look like the rear main seal is gone, i.e. the seal around the output shaft to the clutch.

If you have just bought the bike, it is a good idea to have a look at that hose as part of the "getting to know the bike" ritual, even if it isn't the cause of your current leak. It is a part that has to be replaced periodically.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

And another thing. I haven't had the problem yet, but when I bought my Le Mans I was advised by a very, very well informed acquaintance to get in, amongst other things, a spare timing cover gasket. In his opinion, which I trust implicitly, the gasket is prone to developing a leak. I haven't actually seen anything to that effect here, but perhaps other members could comment.

As far as localising the leak goes, clean everything up impeccably. Go for a bit of a ride, and then dust the suspect areas with talcum powder (scented or not doesn't make a difference...:whistle:). That tends to make a frightful mess, but shows up even very small leaks very well, and helps a lot in seeing where the oil is really coming from.

• Like 1

clean it off and spray some talcum powder on it.  You should be able to trace the leak.  I had a timing cover gasket leak.

• Like 3

If you find out the thread somewhere here, I had that very problem in 2022.

I spread talcum and found the origin of the leak was, as @audiomick acquaintance pointed out, the stock gasket. The replacement gasket is metallic and much better suited.

Oil Leak origin

Leak 5 post-wash

• Like 3

Same leak on mine. The breather hose checked out fine. I sealed the TPS with a small amount of RTV to see if that's the source.  I have a timing cover gasket on hand if it turns out to be the problem. 

• Like 3

On 6/15/2024 at 11:46 AM, Randy said:

Same leak on mine. The breather hose checked out fine. I sealed the TPS with a small amount of RTV to see if that's the source.  I have a timing cover gasket on hand if it turns out to be the problem. 

Rather than the TPS (on the right side throttle body, which cannot leak oil), do you mean the cam/timing/phase sensor on the left, ahead of the cylinder, @Randy?

DSCN1080.JPG

• Like 1

I had both leak... first it was the cam timing sensor so I replaced it after numerous attempts with new orings, JB weld the top & cable coming from it, etc.  The other leak was the cam chain cover on the right side of engine.  For the cam chain cover gasket, I went with "genuine" guzzi composite.  The other gaskets I had bought (aftermarket composite & paper) were not cut imo properly...gasket bolt holes did not line up with bolt holes in the cover without distorting the gasket.  Yeah, I know MG doesn't make their own gaskets...just saying the MG offering lays flat & all the holes line up as they should...no distortion.  Also,  I think I read somewhere that while the original was paper, it was superceded to a composite around 2005.  Anyway, the MG composite gasket went on dry, no sealer, no leaks.

Art

• Like 1

20 hours ago, docc said:

Rather than the TPS (on the right side throttle body, which cannot leak oil), do you mean the cam/timing/phase sensor on the left, ahead of the cylinder, @Randy?

DSCN1080.JPG

Yup.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1