Pawl Spring Replacement, "Extra" Part

To Start: I'm not very experienced as a mechanic.

Recently I began having shifting problems on my 2001 V11 Rosso Mandello, which I've owned for about 4 years. Suspecting an issue with the pawl spring and having a spare spring that came with the bike, I pulled the cover off the gear box following directions I found on this forum. The existing pawl spring was deformed when compared with the replacement.

20240615_125935.png

I replaced the spring and put everything back together, but I have this left over small metal tube that I fell off onto the bottom of the gearbox when I removed the cover. Looking at pictures in the manual as well as a few pictures on this forum, it appears to have fallen out of hole in the pic below. I see evidence of a prior attempt to cement this tube in place. I also note that I cannot simply push this pin back in, I would need to tap it in with a mallet.

20240615_132505.png

Is it correct to just tap this tube into place within the hole? How do I prevent it from falling out again once I've put the cover back into place? Is this even the original part?

Finally, a few years ago I heard that someone on this forum was making a heavier replacement spring. Is this true? Where would I go to get one?

Thanks

20240615_124829.png

20240615_132441.png

• Like 1

I have the springs and will send you a private message. There is a lot of good info on this forum regarding shift improvement, and this is the time to do it. If you managed to get this far, you are a good enough mechanic to do the rest.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, RichardCA said:

... but I have this left over small metal tube that I fell off onto the bottom of the gearbox when I removed the cover. Looking at pictures in the manual as well as a few pictures on this forum, it appears to have fallen out of hole in the pic below. I see evidence of a prior attempt to cement this tube in place. I also note that I cannot simply push this pin back in, I would need to tap it in with a mallet.

20240615_132505.png

Is it correct to just tap this tube into place within the hole? How do I prevent it from falling out again once I've put the cover back into place? Is this even the original part?

That metal tube is a steel roll pin that limits the forward travel of the ratcheting pawl arm. It is important. Later gearboxes have an eccentric pin allowing some adjustment.

A tight fit should be enough to hold it in, but since you suspect that it has come out at least twice, you need to try something else. Try degreasing the pin and hole, and tap the pin in with a smear of epoxy resin. Since the gearbox doesn't get hot, any general purpose epoxy will do. Allow 24 hours to cure before adding oil.

Have you seen these? :

V11 Shift improvement - How to... - Moto Guzzi V11LeMans.com Forum

Re-engineering the Shift Spring - How to... - Moto Guzzi V11LeMans.com Forum

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, MartyNZ said:

That metal tube is a steel roll pin that limits the forward travel of the ratcheting pawl arm. It is important. Later gearboxes have an eccentric pin allowing some adjustment.

A tight fit should be enough to hold it in, but since you suspect that it has come out at least twice, you need to try something else. Try degreasing the pin and hole, and tap the pin in with a smear of epoxy resin. Since the gearbox doesn't get hot, any general purpose epoxy will do. Allow 24 hours to cure before adding oil.

Have you seen these? :

V11 Shift improvement - How to... - Moto Guzzi V11LeMans.com Forum

Re-engineering the Shift Spring - How to... - Moto Guzzi V11LeMans.com Forum

Loctite red. Epoxy in this instance is for knuckle draggers.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Loctite red. Epoxy in this instance is for knuckle draggers.

Phil

This knuckle dragger has had good results with 3M EC2216 epoxy. It is slightly flexible when cured, and like all epoxies, it has excellent oil resistance (when cured).

I was trying to keep things simple for @RichardCAwho tells us that he has limited facilities. 

• Like 2

On 6/17/2024 at 1:17 PM, audiomick said:

I wouldn't have thought that Kiwis would have any knuckles to drag. :whistle:

The hairs on the back of my hands protect my knuckles from wearing out, but it's a bit hurtful of you to point that out. I hope a Drop Bear rips your bike seat, and your bananas go straight from green to brown <_<

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, MartyNZ said:

This knuckle dragger has had good results with 3M EC2216 epoxy. It is slightly flexible when cured, and like all epoxies, it has excellent oil resistance (when cured).

I was trying to keep things simple for the poster @RichardCAwho tells us that he has limited facilities. 

Nothing wrong at all with JB weld and it's equivalents just not in this application. Red Loctite is available at every auto store.

Phil

My thanks to everyone who posted. I've replaced the spring and put the pin back in with red Loctite. Took the bike out on a couple of test rides last week and I'm ready to go to the national rally in OR this week. I'll look at adding some of the suggested improvements this coming winter.

Richard

• Like 3