fork oil ?

red lion

Having the fork seals changed on my 2001 rosso mandello. What is best weight fork oil to use 5W or 10W. I puchased some Ohlins 5W but I'm not sure it's the best choice. I'm about 155 lbs. Any thoughts?

35 minutes ago, red lion said:

Having the fork seals changed on my 2001 rosso mandello. What is best weight fork oil to use 5W or 10W. I puchased some Ohlins 5W but I'm not sure it's the best choice. I'm about 155 lbs. Any thoughts?

I've mentioned previously the best thing to do is measure the viscosity of the old oil and the new oil and compare the two and make a decision based on how the fork damping worked for you with the old oil. If the forks worked fine with the old oil viscosity then buy/mix and match the new oil to the same Vx. If you think you need higher or lower than the original then use new viscosities as required.

Phil

• Like 2

SAE fork oil "weights" are a broad range of actual viscosity. Some maker's 7wt overlaps others 10wt or 5wt.

The early V11 Marzocchi forks typically work better with lighter oils. I settled on (one of the) BelRay 5wt (YMMV!) by using Peter Verdone's conversion chart to centiStokes (cST), a much more accurate unit to assess viscosity.

http://www.peterverdone.com/archive/lowspeed.htm

http://www.peterverdone.com/archive/images/content/motorcycle/PVD-ISO-Viscosity-Data.gif

Some vendors sell USD fork oil . I have read it has special powers . Mine came w/it when I had my internals worked on and new springs. I would have to go out in the shop to see the brand / wt , etc...

• Haha 2