Griso colors along the years Red to Orange?

p6x

That is a nice looking Griso for an insane amount of money unless that is some other version of dollars, maybe Canadian dollars. I guess you can ask for however much you want, doesn't mean you will get it. But you never know, there is always someone willing to pay more then I would.

I would rather buy an 8V Griso given the choice. But I already own a 2V Griso and it is great. I just think more power would make it even better. To be fair, I am not super impressed with the 8V motor, I think they made some mistakes in the engineering of it. Evidence of  that is in the tappet / cam failures of the original flat tappet versions and in the poor fuel mileage of all 8V Griso's. But given the choice I would still prefer an 8V version if I were buying one today. But even if I was buying a 2V Griso I would steer clear of one that is a collection of parts like the one posted above unless it was so cheap as to make it disposable. Maybe 2 or 3 grand for it, something that I would be willing to write off if it comes to it. But I reckon everyone's "disposable" threshold is different. For over $4,000 I would expect a better example. But whatever I am thinking, I would not let color play a deciding factor unless it was between two comparable examples.

1 hour ago, activpop said:

When you call my Griso orange I see red...:D

Well played.

Funny story about red vs orange. Among friends we have the term "Scooter orange". Scooter is a friend, and he would paint his racebike what he called orange. It was red, but he insisted it was orange. So we would call reds like that "Scooter orange". His red / orange was something of a tomato red, funnier because he hated tomatoes. But there will always be a grey area between red and orange. Often times it can come down to the light at the time.

But I do like your orange Griso.....

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, GuzziMoto said:

and in the poor fuel mileage of all 8V Griso's…..

Interesting….what do you consider “poor mileage”?

I regularly get 40 mpg on the 2015 8V Griso and the 2008 2V Norge….both mapped with Beetle maps…that’s a combo of highway and backroads riding.  If I rode exclusively backroads I see 42-44 mpg on both easily.   

The one above certainly looks clean but the pipe without a dB killer is a problem. I suppose if you think making a ‘Look at me’ racket rather than actually having the engine perform well is your thing then fine but the 8V does not respond well to an open, (Or short!) pipe. It will gut the bottom end and midrange. 

The other thing I see that rings alarm bells is the crash-bars. Grisos actually tend to crash well but those bars, in fact any of the bars I’ve seen, are liable to direct force to the engine case/timing chest cover area and of they get damaged it’s essentially bye-bye engine. I personally would prefer to take the hit on a rocker cover and the oil cooler cover. If there is any more substantial damage it’s going to get written off anyway.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GuzziMoto said:

That is a nice looking Griso for an insane amount of money

I contacted them, because I could not believe the price. But it was a typo. It is 8,800

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PJPR01 said:

I regularly get 40 mpg on the 2015 8V Griso and the 2008 2V Norge….both mapped with Beetle maps…that’s a combo of highway and backroads riding.  If I rode exclusively backroads I see 42-44 mpg on both easily.   

Most of the ‘Poor mileage’ thing is or was to do with the shitty factory mapping, especially with the early maps, along with the problems associated with loud pipes/short pipes. Certainly if you ride around at higher rpm fuel economy plummets but that’s the result of the side draft heads and narrow included valve angle + cam timing. To get it to produce the *Needed* 100 RWHP the sacrifice was made in VE at higher rpm.

As long as I’m not really sticking the spurs in both of mine will return 220-230Km before the fuel light comes on and that happens when there is still about 4.5 litres in the tank meaning my range is about 300+Km before I sputter to a halt. I don’t think that’s terrible?

Yes, the flat tappet fiasco was a disgrace but it is what it is and once rollerised there are rarely further repercussions. While there are other issues with CARC series bikes generally most of them are now well known and usually easily addressed. I don’t see the 8V’s as any more or less reliable generally than the 2 valvers and both, using the W5AM controller, are prone to abuse by those ignorant of how the system works and the beetle-browed followers of the ‘Loud pipe and shitty air filter will make it go faster’ brigade!

As most of you know, I’m an 8V evangelist. I love the motor and the CARC bike series and feel they were generally overlooked and ignored with no real justification. As for Griso? No, they aren’t for everyone but the day I can’t ride mine any more will be one of the saddest days of my life……

IMG_4524.jpeg

• Like 4

17 hours ago, PJPR01 said:

The 8V Griso gets less mpg then the 2V Griso it replaced, I commonly got 45 - 48 mpg with my 2V Griso. You seem to get decent mpg, better then most report. But that can come down to how you ride. If you rode a 2V Griso the way you ride an 8V Griso I suspect you would be in the upper 40's to 50 mpg. The 2V Griso and 8V Griso are pretty close to exactly the same size motorcycle, they should get the same fuel mileage. Some would say the 8V Griso should get less fuel mileage as it makes more power. But that would only hold true if you were riding it in a way that uses that extra power. At 70 mph going down the road both the 2V and 8V would need almost exactly the same amount of power to go down the road. To make the same amount of power the 8V motor uses more fuel, and thus gets worse fuel mileage. I think two things offer a clue as to why that is the case. The 8V Griso does not seem to like free flowing exhausts. It seems to have a lot of valve overlap and without enough restriction in the exhaust air and fuel goes into and straight out of the combustion chamber. That wasted air and fuel does not make power but it does reduce fuel mileage and contribute to poor running. And even with a more restrictive exhaust system the motors is not as fuel efficient as the 2V motor, and that is usually indicative of an inferior combustion chamber shape, which results in needing more fuel to make the same amount of power.

Of course, as I mentioned, all that being so I would still take an 8V Griso over the 2V version, as I am not buying a motorcycle for purely logical reasons. It is for fun, and I think the 8V version would be more fun. As mentioned, I bought mine long before the 8V version was a thing. And other then the tappet fiasco with the first version of the 8V motor I would rather have the power of the 8V.

To make this even further into the weeds, and to rattle Pete, I will mention that when they showed the protype of the Griso it had the 4V motor of the Daytona and Centauro. And that is the motor I really wanted in my Griso. I was disappointed that by the time they released the Griso it had basically the V11 Sport motor. I really wanted the 4V motor. My Daytona is so cool to ride. The motor has a feel that other Guzzi's don't, it has a feel like a hot rod tractor.

• Like 1

Why would I be rattled by that? 

Most of what you say is, IMHO, correct. Where I would disagree is the combustion chamber shape. The 8V motor has a delightfully *modern* combustion chamber and I’m sure the air/fuel mixture that gets ignited in it burns pretty well. The attention to detail in regards to squish would seem to back this up if for no other reason than to clean the motor up. As you say the higher consumption is down to waste, not poor combustion and it’s not so much a need for ‘Resistance’ in the pipe/s although I too have used that description because it’s easier to understand, but a need to slow down the gasses exit and use the pipe harmonics to try and limit excessive charge loss on overlap.

While I agree that there is a certain ‘Raw’ and unsophisticated feel to the earlier Hi-Cams the fact is they are much, much less efficient. Everything in them is heavier and the frictional losses in that motor are enormous which is the reason the factory was never able to get satisfactory, reliable, power out of it. It is also far more complex and heavy overall than the ‘Nuovo Hi-Cam’ and believe me, having humped enough of the wretched things around over the last sixteen years the new motor is no lightweight! Neither motor was at the time of their introduction, anywhere near the cutting edge of IC technology but head to head the later motor is superior in every way to Todero’s swansong.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GuzziMoto said:

The 8V Griso gets less mpg then the 2V Griso it replaced, I commonly got 45 - 48 mpg with my 2V Griso. You seem to get decent mpg, better then most report. But that can come down to how you ride. If you rode a 2V Griso the way you ride an 8V Griso I suspect you would be in the upper 40's to 50 mpg. The 2V Griso and 8V Griso are pretty close to exactly the same size motorcycle, they should get the same fuel mileage. Some would say the 8V Griso should get less fuel mileage as it makes more power. But that would only hold true if you were riding it in a way that uses that extra power. At 70 mph going down the road both the 2V and 8V would need almost exactly the same amount of power to go down the road. To make the same amount of power the 8V motor uses more fuel, and thus gets worse fuel mileage. I think two things offer a clue as to why that is the case. The 8V Griso does not seem to like free flowing exhausts. It seems to have a lot of valve overlap and without enough restriction in the exhaust air and fuel goes into and straight out of the combustion chamber. That wasted air and fuel does not make power but it does reduce fuel mileage and contribute to poor running. And even with a more restrictive exhaust system the motors is not as fuel efficient as the 2V motor, and that is usually indicative of an inferior combustion chamber shape, which results in needing more fuel to make the same amount of power.

Of course, as I mentioned, all that being so I would still take an 8V Griso over the 2V version, as I am not buying a motorcycle for purely logical reasons. It is for fun, and I think the 8V version would be more fun. As mentioned, I bought mine long before the 8V version was a thing. And other then the tappet fiasco with the first version of the 8V motor I would rather have the power of the 8V.

To make this even further into the weeds, and to rattle Pete, I will mention that when they showed the protype of the Griso it had the 4V motor of the Daytona and Centauro. And that is the motor I really wanted in my Griso. I was disappointed that by the time they released the Griso it had basically the V11 Sport motor. I really wanted the 4V motor. My Daytona is so cool to ride. The motor has a feel that other Guzzi's don't, it has a feel like a hot rod tractor.

Good explanations and background above.

It’s logical to me that a 2V 1100 motor would get better mileage than a 2V 1200 motor (like my 2008 Norge) or vs a 4V/8V 1200 motor (as is my 2015 Griso) going the same speed…tuned properly as well.  

it seems to me that Guzzi managed to get more power and torque with the same weight in a 1200 displacement engine and still maintained the same fuel economy as the older 2V 1200…that’s pretty good engineering…and has also led to a different riding experience as well…both of them very enjoyable but different.

I found another "orange" one... the passenger foot pegs have been removed, and I think the seat is not made to carry passengers. The exhaust muffler is without DB killer.

12k miles, 2015, 7.5 kUSD.

6668d0a57b0a29691977e086.webp?width=10246668d0c6a3b0b13b624927f5.webp?width=1024https://6668d0e02e6ec7287b1cdbcb.webp?width=10246668d0af52946970cf664b6b.webp?width=10246668d0b1dc0e36147e5f6396.webp?width=10246668d0b75e50bb47d23aa4b6.webp?width=1024

• Like 1

As I have been wandering around looking for "Red/Orangee" Griso, I noticed something;

Some of them have the exhaust pipes top collectors blued by the heat, others have not.

Is this an indication of chroming quality? Is this an indication about how hard the bike was ridden from cold, stressing the external coating by a quick temperature change?

I had a friend who owned a BMW, 60 years ago. Starting from cold, he would always want to warm up the exhaust collectors, to prevent them from turning blue. This was his thing. We always argued that it was because the chroming could not take the heat, but nothing convinced him.

But he moved, and I never knew if he succeeded in keeping his exhaust pipes in their stock looking conditions.

6668d0b1dc0e36147e5f6396.webp?width=1024

439941718_3943602419244688_5529127595741

419795641_1943469982751498_5595883987162

444146228_10234840514377539_339049303848

448925527_807399501496119_87893404761245449179687_936540658224122_64651227223691

Edited by p6x