Summer tour 2024 El Paso to Alaska

Pressureangle

So it begins. 

Let me say first, I'm not riding a Moto-Guzzi. A nice '04 BMW R1150GSA Adventure got thrown at me instead of a V85TT, thanks a lot guys. :not: 

I'm leaving tomorrow morning, 28 June from El Paso. Should be an easy ride through Albuquerque to Chama. I intended to ride the Toltec Steam excursion but looks like weather doesn't want me to hang around there Sunday. 
I may post some pictures here, but mostly just put them in a Google Album with this link: 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RLJDCUNS6Pwux8gj7

We'll spend plenty of time out of cell service, and I'm not carrying anything with a keyboard. 

AP1GczNzUHduK1khd8YjF8IeE5cd6T_NMe1vJXJ-

Oh, already had someone ask why I don't post a thread in the ADV forum. 
Well, because there are only 2 people I know on that forum, one is in this forum and the other is the old friend meeting me in Bozeman. Or Billings, or Sturgis, if I don't dawdle too much on the way up. 
Besides, the ADV forum is full of menies.

Edited by Pressureangle
  • Like 6

Bon voyage!  
jealous. 
maybe keep an eye on fire activity as you head north, as there are a couple of them catching on up north, which could create some crappy air quality, but so far not too bad. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, docc said:

The GSA looks perfect for this trek. You would need two V11 to carry that load-out! :mg:

Yeah, you know I like to travel light, and this is as light as I could get it given that we're camping whenever possible and reasonable, so there's tent/bag/footer and a lot of cold weather gear that I hope I never have to take out of the drybags, which I hope never get wet. 
One thing I did assemble, which I've meant to put together for a long time is a trauma kit. I've always carried simple band tourniquets, but studying up for this trip revealed how remote much of the travel is, and also the frighteningly frequent, almost daily, news of bikers killed or seriously injured in Canada and Alaska. Let's hope it never gets opened. 
I built my own, in a Pelican case;
C-A-T tourniquet
'Israeli' bandages
clotting bandages and powder
chest wound valve bandages 
Leatherman surgical shears 
plastic airway helper
SAM splint
Of course I have some Ibuprofen/Acetaminophen, burn cream, allergy pills etc. I figure anything less than serious can ride on to the next pharmacy. 
I forgot forceps, duct tape, and parachute cord. I suppose I can pick the tweezers up at an Albuquerque head shop lol.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Pressureangle said:

Yeah, you know I like to travel light, and this is as light as I could get it given that we're camping whenever possible and reasonable, so there's tent/bag/footer and a lot of cold weather gear that I hope I never have to take out of the drybags, which I hope never get wet. 
One thing I did assemble, which I've meant to put together for a long time is a trauma kit. I've always carried simple band tourniquets, but studying up for this trip revealed how remote much of the travel is, and also the frighteningly frequent, almost daily, news of bikers killed or seriously injured in Canada and Alaska. Let's hope it never gets opened. 
I built my own, in a Pelican case;
C-A-T tourniquet
'Israeli' bandages
clotting bandages and powder
chest wound valve bandages 
Leatherman surgical shears 
plastic airway helper
SAM splint
Of course I have some Ibuprofen/Acetaminophen, burn cream, allergy pills etc. I figure anything less than serious can ride on to the next pharmacy. 
I forgot forceps, duct tape, and parachute cord. I suppose I can pick the tweezers up at an Albuquerque head shop lol.

All good stuff. Bug repellent and head nets, sunscreen, bear spray...just some last minute goodies. Food bags and some way to tie it up high. No snackies in the tent. :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, activpop said:

All good stuff. Bug repellent and head nets, sunscreen, bear spray...just some last minute goodies. Food bags and some way to tie it up high. No snackies in the tent. :lol:

Indeed!

Lest one becomes a snack oneself....

• Like 1

19 hours ago, activpop said:

No food at the campsite, at least that's the story- but the other two are Canadians so I'll bet all my gas money there will be grilled cheese sammiches for breakfast.

Got insect repellent jammies, skeeter nets for over helm, bear spray across the border where they take it seriously.

Lunch in Cuba, NM.

Edited by Pressureangle
  • Like 3

On 6/27/2024 at 3:11 PM, Pressureangle said:

I may post some pictures here, but mostly just put them in a Google Album

Pity...

The V11 forum is an excellent repository for your memories too. A place where everyone (no only the forum members) can remember you, the trip. A bit like a blog and you can use it as a journal too.

I understand nobody likes to write anymore; only videos with talking heads.