Summer tour 2024 El Paso to Alaska

Pressureangle

20 minutes ago, p6x said:

Pity...

The V11 forum is an excellent repository for your memories too. A place where everyone (no only the forum members) can remember you, the trip. A bit like a blog and you can use it as a journal too.

I understand nobody likes to write anymore; only videos with talking heads.

I'm too dumb to figure that out smoothly, plus people not on forum have access.

Friday ended in Chama, NM. Didn't ride the Cumbres & Toltec train as weather Saturday was wet. Saturday, surprised myself by finding my route passed the Durango & Silverton steam railroad as well. Spent a couple hours in and around, then moved on to the 4 corners monument- a monumental waste of time as the entry line went from the road to... Eternity. So I have a picture of the sign. Then through the lesser-travelled road through monument valley; lesser views but zero traffic. Also, lesser places for pictures as the good views were narrow 2 lanes with huge drops and no shoulders. Hot, too, the kind that withers and makes you long for coldbrain, (I'm leaving that spelling error in) or even a spot of shade, of which there was none. Pressed on to Moab, UT where I'm now having a fabulous mocha latte. 

Edited by Pressureangle
Sp.
  • Like 3

Summer heat and tourists, serious threats to good riding!  With school out, and especially since Covid (“revenge travel”), it’s been brutal with the crowds.  
get north… cooler and less people.  Though there will still be lots of people in certain places of course.  Glacier national is great (can’t recall if you’ll hit that one), but you gotta get up real early to beat the traffic line to motor through.  
and the Yukon should be cooler and way less people, that’s one of the reasons I love it up there 😎

Will you be doing White Pass down into Skagway, or the road from Haines junction down to Haines?  Great routes.

22 hours ago, Gmc28 said:

Summer heat and tourists

This is Sedona Airport's designated overlook for watching the sunset... This is such a romantic moment when you can share it with the other 500 people that are there with you to witness it too....

Sedona Airport Sunset overlook

• Haha 3

Yeah... Moab to Jackson Hole. 

Beautiful start, to Dinosaur and North... Then Wyoming. The high plains winds are crazy, and for hours. Dropped it at a stop from a pebble and the wind, good sam helped pick up Humpty Dumpty. 

Jackson WY rather sucks bull nuggets. San Fran libs have taken it wholesale to the point that an old biker gets side eye looks buying coffee. The baby Hilton (idr which brand) was f*'n $525 tax in, and every tent site was beyond full. Nice scenery, though.

Flew Teton and Yellowstone, got some rain with hail at 7500 feet. 

Cody WY now looking at ugly weather. 

• Like 3

ya, hang on to your hat, the last gasps of spring are just finally playing out.  i think it will be hot for good now for a while.  

Jackson has indeed changed.  

for what its worth, the fellow that bought my KTM 990 this spring is on a trip up to Alaska right now, and said he discovered this little area that was fun to explore based on a tip from a local.  on the Cassiar highway, sort of in the area that i’ve always just passed through, but which always looked like it could merit a little more poking around someday.  not sure if you’re doing the Cassiar in either direction, but here’s the google map link just in case:  https://maps.app.goo.gl/LgfNzcBN9tu2CdwWA?g_st=com.google.maps.preview.copy