Unless it's a dry clutch with twin friction plates and a steel intermediate. In a basket flywheel. With a couple hundred thousand kays on it, all ridden like a jackrabbit on hot lava.

Then it sounds like nine monkeys fighting their way out of a cymbal factory with ball pein hammers.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4
Posted (edited)

I think Mr. Anderson is quoting someone who heard a large Ducati with an open clutch cover. The 1198 Monster that my neighbour bought had one of those "sports" open covers on the clutch. The first thing he did to it was put the original, closed, cover back on. I absolutely don't understand why anyone would want the open cover. It was loud enough to cause hearing damage. :huh2:

Edited by audiomick
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, audiomick said:

I think Mr. Anderson is quoting someone who heard a large Ducati with an open clutch cover. The 1198 Monster that my neighbour bought had one of those "sports" open covers on the clutch. The first thing he did to it was put the original, closed, cover back on. I absolutely don't understand why anyone would want the open cover. It was loud enough to cause hearing damage. :huh2:

Because it's "cool" Mick and it's like a MotoGp bike clutch. Anyway dry clutches are the overwhelming majority out there in the Automotive world. An Aussie company is now making twin disk automotive clutches that are "universal" and don't rattle at idle like all other performance car twin disk clutches. 

https://uniclutch.com/about

Phil

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Anyway dry clutches are the overwhelming majority out there in the Automotive world.

Indeed. So where's the problem? I don't see one.

That uniclutch sounds good. And.. I wasn't aware that the GTHO had a twin-plate clucht. Very interesting. :)

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, docc said:

There are well known ways to achieve this seemingly desirable racket . . .

just-married-car-tin-cans.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Doesn't rattle at idling at the lights docc, no good. Then again neither does a quality aftermarket Ducati Dry clutch. This is the EVR slipper unit on my 1198 track bike. The only noise you hear at idle is the straight cut primary gears clattering the clutch is quiet. Note Mick the vented cover....because it's cool and coolingB)

https://www.desmo-racing.com/en/sliper-clutch-cts-racing-sbk-48-evr-ducati-xml-253_351-2812.html

DSC00593.JPG

Edited by Lucky Phil
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, audiomick said:

Actually he was misquoting me I think. My original description was ‘two cheesegraters fornicating in an iron tank’ but imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.:bbblll:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Poor imitation can be the sincerest form of flatulence.

The noise is Ducati snobbery.

• Haha 3