Speedo

OtisV11

Has anyone mounted a Sigma MC 10 digital speedo to their bike and if so are you happy with the way it works.Considering trying one,

• Like 1

No. I have used a Vapor multi gauge dash for another bike. The sigma looks like it uses a wheel sensor like the vapor. It probably works ok but looks don't match the elegance of the V11. I'm guessing your speedo gave out. What's it doing?

image.jpegimage.jpeg

• Like 1

HI Footgoose,my speedo is still working but highly inacurate and the police having GPS speed recording its time to be on the same playing field.

• Like 2

It doesn't hurt to have a backup. A wheel sensor type speedo will have a magnet attached somewhere ie brake rotor, and there will be a calculation needed for overall diameter or circumference of the tire to be programmed into the brain. When finished you'll want to compare it to a known working speedo. If you have a smartphone you can mount to the bars somewhere, download a Speedometer app and just use that.

Re the factory speedo, they are known to give trouble. Be certain your cable is working 100%. Not in a bind, plenty of lube, and not damaged -outer or inner. The connections at the speedo and at the angle drive.

does anyone have a quick link to the St. Vitus Dance on the forum?

• Like 1

I searched "St. Vitus Dance" and found a couple of posts from docc.

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/topic/23020-speedoodo-replacement/#comment-263381

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/topic/22169-v-11-sport-veglia-speedo-needle-bounce/#comment-255352

Perhaps not exactly what you meant, but they seem to lead to information on the typical causes of the wobble in the speedo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, OtisV11 said:

HI Footgoose,my speedo is still working but highly inacurate and the police having GPS speed recording its time to be on the same playing field.

A speedo doesn't need to be accurate it just needs to be consistently inaccurate. Same as a timepiece for navigation doesn't need to be accurate just consistent in it's inaccuracy. In my 3 cars the speed indication varies at 100kph by 2, 4 and 6kph for each one. Over reading always. I know the inaccuracy and adjust my speed accordingly. Personally I'd just use my phone GPS speed for a short run on the bike, detect the speedo inaccuracy and then set your future riding speed accordingly. The last thing I personally would want on the bike is yet another instrument and wires and pickup all powered by a button battery to add clutter and complexity. 

PS the police in Victoria Australia will ping you for anything over 4kph over the limit. Thats under 2.4 mph so they are brutal here.

Phil

Edited by Lucky Phil
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, audiomick said:

I searched "St. Vitus Dance" and found a couple of posts from docc.

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/topic/23020-speedoodo-replacement/#comment-263381

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/topic/22169-v-11-sport-veglia-speedo-needle-bounce/#comment-255352

Perhaps not exactly what you meant, but they seem to lead to information on the typical causes of the wobble in the speedo.

yup, exactly the info

• Like 2

I agree that really consistent readings are all that is needed. If you have that you can adjust your speed accordingly.

That said, if you really want a second opinion on vehicle speed I would recommend adding a GPS. It will not only very accurately tell you how fast you are going but it will also help you know WHERE you are going. They offer a number of motorcycle friendly GPS options. You don't need a motorcycle friendly GPS but it does make a difference. Motorcycle friendly versions tend to be better able to handle wet weather and their screens tend to work better while wearing gloves.

• Like 1

Yes. My navigation device (Garmin Zumo XT) is sluggish showing changes in speed, but absolutely accurate if you hold a speed for a while. That allows one to "calibrate" the speedo, i.e. know what speed is really being held when the speedo is showing a particular speed. Helps a real lot. And the Garmin tells me where I am going, is waterproof, and solid enough to have survived falling off the roof of the car after my girlfriend forgot it there and drove off with it on the roof. It was in a textile pouch, without padding, and came away without even a scratch. B)

• Like 1