Bleeding clutch

docc

Posted (edited)

I can't believer people still manual bleed brakes and clutches when you can use one of these. Dirt cheap and a million times more effective. I actually use a Motive products bleeder which was way more expensive at the time I bought it. Vevor sell good stuff.

Phil

https://www.vevor.com.au/fluid-evacuator-c_10350/vevor-car-brake-bleeding-clutch-fluid-bleeder-kit-vacuum-pump-3l-air-powered-p_010315405734

Edited by Lucky Phil
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, audiomick said:

Because brake fluid is hygroscopic, so you have to assume that an opened container of brake fluid has taken up too much water after about six weeks.

No, I haven't tested that, but that is what I have been told by several professionals who earn their money by knowing about such things. :huh2:

You can buy a tester for 12 bucks Au Mick and I have brake fluid in sealed containers that are 10 years old and still zero water content. I've also bought new fluid that was 1.5% water contaminated out of a sealed bottle. Thats why I open it and test it at the counter in front of the staff before I pay for it these days.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

I can't believer people still manual bleed brakes and clutches when you can use one of these. Dirt cheap and a million times more effective. I actually use a Motive products bleeder which was way more expensive at the time I bought it. Vevor sell good stuff.

Phil

https://www.vevor.com.au/fluid-evacuator-c_10350/vevor-car-brake-bleeding-clutch-fluid-bleeder-kit-vacuum-pump-3l-air-powered-p_010315405734

Looks like the "pressure bleeder" I see specified in the BMW ///M roadster manual.

Need to get-me one o' them . . .

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

That looks like the best thing and a good price too.  

I bought a Phoenix bleed system about 20 yrs. ago , used it four Xs .  I would install those bleed screws and be happy with it. Also , you need to purchase bleed screw caps to keep out the bad stuff .

Edited by gstallons
spelling error
  • Like 1

On 7/2/2024 at 6:28 PM, docc said:

I just sourced Saint-Gobain Tygon tubing (F-4040-A) for a short length of reservoir hose.

Looks like I should have gotten Tygon 2375 for this application . . . :huh2:

Yep.  I used the 2375 for the short run to the reservoir.  I use the F4040A as fuel supply on my carbureted bikes since it is fuel rated and fuel is gravity fed to the carbs.  However, the F4040A does not like heat so I end up replacing the lines every few years....discoloration is the first sign of impending failure.  Also, I buy this stuff at McMaster-Carr, they have an awesome on-line catalog, reasonable prices and super quick shipping.  They're local to me, I place an order and can pick it up within an hour.

As for bleeding hydraulics I've always used a vacuum bleeder....Mity Vac hand pump, home made vac out of a one gallon pickle jar (it'll suck cold gear oil too!) but more recently I bought this https://www.harborfreight.com/brake-fluid-bleeder-92924.html  It was inexpensive and works good.  I believe gravity bleeding works well too, I just don't have the patience for it because I feel it is a little more time consuming.  As for flushing out debris that may be in the circuit, I change fluid every 2-4 years and don't give debris much thought.  On old bkes I've acquired where there is shmutz in the rez, I wipe it out and hope for the best with a couple flushes, my '87 LMIVSE was in bad shape, it was obvious a master cylinder overhaul was the solution.

Art

• Like 1