4 hours ago, docc said:

I do not recall the TPS, wiring, orientation, or wire colors changing over the V11 range.

Is that N/Vi (black/violet) positive and Vi (violet) negative valid for the later V11 (LongFrames) as well?

The early bikes had a black and the later bikes Violet from the wiring diagrams. The others look to be the same colour as is the orientation.

Phil 

7 hours ago, gstallons said:

The outer terminals on the connector are the ones I am using to test TPS v. A is violet , B is yellow and C is violet/black stripe. 

Yes, my 2003 black long frame bike is the same: violet top, yellow middle,  violet/black bottom wire at TPS.

Looking at three different diagrams . 99 V11 Sport , my 02/03ish V11 Sport and a 04V11 Sport Catalytic .  They are all different . Do you have your owner's manual w/a wiring diagram attached to the last page ?

TJH , you have your old TPS , hook a DVOM up to the terminals on resistance scale Go from a to b and measure the value . Go from a to c and measure the value.  The combination that gives you the least value is what you are you are looking for. Use pliers , screwdriver or something to turn the inside of the TPS to move it. Watch for resistance change.  You are practicing for checking the mV reading on your bike . IDK how proficient you are w/a meter so I hope this goes well

get a jumper harness and hook it up to your TPS and make the adjustments .  You can stick T-pins in the wiring connectors and try to get an adjustment.

12 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Now I think about it the manual fault was in a manual I have for the Daytona and 1100 Sport IE. One had the PF03 and the other the PF09 but the pins are not the same orientation. The manual didn't differentiate this which led to confusion for me making an adaptor cable as has my previous post.

Phil  

I am beginning to think these wiring harnesses are like ignition keys . They are exclusive to each bike .

• Like 1

IDK why I didn't think of this til now.... Remove the seat and use t-pins (or you can use sewing needles) to go down into the pcm harness (leave the harness connected to the pcm) at pin 1 and at pin 11 with them connected to the DVOM . W KOEO you can get your voltage reading there . This is what I did before I got my Casper harness.

Hi , Thanks for all of the responses and information provided.

I’m using a modified caterpillar test lead (pictured )which is not ideal and may have contributed to my confusion.

After testing the old TPS using the info above it is definitely faulty and doesn’t have the range as described.

The new TPS has the full range to 5v but the lowest reading is around 200 mv whilst mounted. ( ie the slotted holes run out of adjustment. I can get 157 mv with very slight pressure once the screws are removed. ) I might try to elongate the screw holes slightly to achieve 157 mv.

I will have more time over the weekend to work on the bike 

IMG_0051.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

You be absolutely , positively SURE this throttle plate is closed to verify a closed throttle. Fast idle linkage and throttle stop are OFF 

Most Cat stuff here uses Deutch terminals , is this an old jumper harness . BTW , using t-pins in the pcm harness is the thing until you can get a Casper kit .  Both my bikes show around 550mV KOEO w/no fast idle cam applied. This is at idle throttle plate setting. 

Edited by gstallons

Yes @gstallons , this is an old cat diagnostic lead not ideal but serviceable.

With the tps in my hand but connected the minimum reading is 204 mv .
With very slight pressure using a screwdriver in the slot it will get down to around 150 mv.

14 minutes ago, TJH said:

Yes @gstallons , this is an old cat diagnostic lead not ideal but serviceable.

With the tps in my hand but connected the minimum reading is 204 mv .
With very slight pressure using a screwdriver in the slot it will get down to around 150 mv.

I would declare that TPS faulty, in that case (even if newly manufactured).

Where did you source it?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TJH said:

The new TPS has the full range to 5v but the lowest reading is around 200 mv whilst mounted. ( ie the slotted holes run out of adjustment. I can get 157 mv with very slight pressure once the screws are removed. ) 

Is it a PF3 TPS? There are different options out there, but the 15M ECU is optimized for the 2 rate response curve of the PF3.

• Like 2

I suspect you’re right Docc , it was sourced off eBay. 
It was cheap and sounded like it fit the bill. 😒

IMG_0054.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TJH said:

I suspect you’re right Docc , it was sourced off eBay. 
It was cheap and sounded like it fit the bill. 😒

IMG_0054.jpeg

1 YEAR  WARRANTY

:glare:

• Confused 1