Air condition/ heat shop "mini-split"

Good work P! You’re burning at least 10,000 calories working under these conditions!!

For me the only way it’s tolerable to work in the garage these days in this 100+F heat…I’m seriously considering installing a split unit!! Willing to take recommendations on good brands if anyone has one installed!

IMG_4823.jpeg

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Mitsubishi or Dakin. I have both.

Phil

Excellent…thank you!!

On 7/1/2024 at 3:50 PM, PJPR01 said:

Willing to take recommendations on good brands if anyone has one installed!

I have discovered that in the USA, for ACs, the unit used is the Ton of Refrigeration;

• SEER – Stands for Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio. This measures efficiency across an entire cooling season. A higher SEER rating translates to lower electricity costs.
  • EER – Denotes Energy Efficiency Ratio. This measures efficiency at peak conditions (95°F outdoor temp). A higher EER indicates the AC can maintain cooling on extremely hot days.

Here are the minimum federal efficiency standards in the U.S.:

• Split System ACs: 13 SEER / 10.8 EER
  • Packaged ACs: 14 SEER / 11 EER

Based on the square footage of your garage, you should decide how many tons or BTU/hr you need;

I suggest you read this:

https://www.pickhvac.com/central-air-conditioner/cost/by-tonnage/

• Like 2

I just had an 18 SEER, 2 ton, SAMSUNG mini-split installed in an 850 square foot garage with a twelve foot ceiling.

This has completely transformed the space into something that can be used to work in or play music, including keeping sensitive string instruments there.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, docc said:

...an 850 square foot garage with a twelve foot ceiling.

Not jealous. No, really, I'm not. I'm sharing about 30 qm. with three other blokes. One of them is always doing something to one or two of his three bikes. The only power in there is photovoltaic, and it is a bit damp. So I'm not jealous at all of your 78 qm. air-conditioned garage. Not a bit.

Well, maybe just a tiny bit... :whistle:

• Haha 2
8 hours ago, Speedfrog said:

If you are seeking out guidance on mini-split AC units for your garage, please type Starter motor repair in the search box. 

:whistle:  :lol::lol::lol:

Brilliant! 

Of course, we could derail it further by adding a Specialty Coffee Machine installation setup as well in said garage and add innovative electrical configurations!

I'm impressed that Docc keeps specialty stringed instruments in the garage rather than in the house...that must mean the garage is truly and well maintained by the A/C setup.  I suspect there might also be an alarm bell in there just to be sure the Mandolin and Stradivarius are not negatively impacted when the humidity gets too high!

• Haha 1

After years of Dorcia telling me that the 220V resistance heater in the Guzzi Garage (tm) was too expensive to run in the Winter so I turned it off :rolleyes: I installed a small mini split. She says she doesn't notice the electric bill going up in the Winter, and now the bikes have air conditioning as a bonus. I'm a fan.. When the ancient (naturally) heat pump/gas backup in the shop bites the dust, I'll put one out there, too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
13 hours ago, Chuck said:

After years of Dorcia telling me that the 220V resistance heater in the Guzzi Garage (tm) was too expensive to run in the Winter so I turned it off :rolleyes: I installed a small mini split. She says she doesn't notice the electric bill going up in the Winter, and now the bikes have air conditioning as a bonus. I'm a fan.. When the ancient (naturally) heat pump/gas backup in the shop bites the dust, I'll put one out there, too.

Yes Chuck a small split system is the way to go. If 2.5kw or under here they are simply plug and play so you don't need an electrician. Just install yourself using a vac pump to purge and you're golden.

Phil

I've been shamed into performing my proper moderator duties and move these (valuable) posts here instead of being a total slacker . . . :blush:

Share your shop/garage A/C, heat, and dehumidifier insights here. :luigi: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Chuck said:

The lines were pre charged on mine.. so I didn't even need a vacuum pump, etc.

All come pre charged these days Chuck that I have seen but you still need to vacuum them according to the install instructions. You need to purge the lines from the a/c unit to the header unit and they can be 5 or 6 meters long. You need to evacuate those lines.

Phil

Edited by Lucky Phil

Nope, the lines are pre charged and have special fittings to keep them sealed until everything is hooked up. True plug and play. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

Nope, the lines are pre charged and have special fittings to keep them sealed until everything is hooked up. True plug and play. :thumbsup:

How do they accommodate the different line lengths Chuck. The installs I've seen done the units come pre charged and the lines are stock material cut to length then the fittings installed so the location of the evaporator and condenser can be 1 foot or 15 feet. 

Phil

5 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

How do they accommodate the different line lengths Chuck. The installs I've seen done the units come pre charged and the lines are stock material cut to length then the fittings installed so the location of the evaporator and condenser can be 1 foot or 15 feet. 

Phil

Standard lengths of 16ft and 25ft can be combined using optional DIY® Couplers for longer lengths

• Like 1