Dead in the heat . . .

docc

4,000 miles, huh.

I usually swap plugs at each oil change, but those look far worse than any I've swapped, V7 or V11. Glad you're safe, and back home, albeit a bit late.

• Thanks 1

Docc, from the look of those plugs, I would do a leak down..just to have an idea of general condition of the rings/valves.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Docc, from the look of those plugs, I would do a leak down..just to have an idea of general condition of the rings/valves.

Thanks, Chuck. I'll check around to see if I can find a tester locally. I only have a compression tester.

• Like 1

I have a leakdown tester somewhere I will loan you to do what you want . Let me know and I will look for it .

1 hour ago, gstallons said:

I have a leakdown tester somewhere I will loan you to do what you want . Let me know and I will look for it .

I kinda want to continue down the Path of Denial about my valves and guides. :whistle: <_<  :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, docc said:

the Path of Denial about my valves and guides. :whistle: <_<  :rolleyes:

134,000 miles, didn't you say?

Some things don't heal themselves... B)

If it gets urgent, I've got a brand new set of valves, and my motor has "only" (according to the speedo) got 65,000 km on it. :huh2:

Edited by audiomick
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, docc said:

I kinda want to continue down the Path of Denial about my valves and guides. :whistle: <_<  :rolleyes:

Like Chuck said. Looking at your plugs, mileage, some quide wear for sure. I was lucky, bent valve outside the garage idling. Machinist told me when milling out the quide on my right head, the quide just dropped out after minimum milling. Not trying to scare, just a wear thing. 215600km not bad at all. Don't think the unsceduled pit stop had anything to do with wear. Just some thoughts docc.

Cheers Tom.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I still follow the British (Triumph?) owner's manual advice from the 60s: every 30 minutes of cruising, accelerate a bit and then allow the bike to slow on the overrun in top, or a lower gear. Pulls a bit of lube down the intake guides and up the cylinder walls.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, po18guy said:

I still follow the British (Triumph?) owner's manual advice from the 60s: every 30 minutes of cruising, accelerate a bit and then allow the bike to slow on the overrun in top, or a lower gear. Pulls a bit of lube down the intake guides and up the cylinder walls.

Pretty sure I rip it up and down the rev-range like a jackrabbit on hot lava. Might be pulling "too much" lube down the valve guides and up the cylinder walls . . . :blink: :ph34r:

• Haha 5

I sure wish I had been around when you were "rippin it".

are those BPR6's? I must say those are a couple of the worst looking plugs I have seen in what I thought 

was a good running engine.

Even when I miss my "normal" plug change, they never looked that bad.

I also run a heat range colder. After I was stuck in downtown traffic in 95 deg heat, I decided I would 

gladly take the ticket for riding the shoulder. fast walking pace...just to keep a little air flowing over the heads.

I reckon you are the new mileage champ. I haven't been on mine in awhile. 

• Like 1

Yah, BR6ES.

I wasn't really riding that hard that day, but the temps were stupid hot. Pretty sure it heat soaked something (everything?) at the brief (6-8 minute) stop.

@andy york Get yo' shiney-hiney to the SSR XX and we'll park the two highest mile V11 together for a comparo: pushing a half million kays between them . . .

• Like 1

10 hours ago, andy york said:

why is it so hard for me to find the dates for XX ?

Oh ...I forgot      its my birthright :homer:

Weekend after Labor Day, September 6-8 . . .