Dead in the heat . . .

docc

12 minutes ago, gstallons said:

Yep , that will do what you want it to do.

Gotta get-me one o' them  . . . :luigi:

Now , I do not know what the allowed % of leakdown is on this cylinder is .  

MOST tests allow 5% or less as being perfect .  I would test at BDC, halfway and TDC to know how it is doing throughout the cycle. It doesn't take that much more time to do .  Use a ratchet/socket on the c/shaft for no surprises ! Watch some YouTube videos to make sure you are happy w/your procedure. 

• Thanks 1

On airplanes, the cylinder needing checked is put at TDC compression stroke. The prop is dangerous and is held tightly before turning on the air. The regulator sets the first gauge at 80 psi, and the second gauge shows the leakage. The prop then can be turned back and forth a degree or so to get the highest reading. A normal cylinder will be 75 psi or above. I don't get terribly concerned until it reads 70 or under.

This will show leakage from rings at the crankcase breather, intake valves at the carb, or exhaust valves at the (wait for it) exhaust stack. :D It won't tell anything about valve guides, but since it is at TDC you can feel how much clearance there is by wiggling them around.

Edit: I would put an on/off valve on the hose to the cylinder on the pictured rig. It makes things simpler.

Edited by Chuck
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 7/8/2024 at 9:53 PM, gstallons said:

Sounds like you had a disappointing day . 

Relay #1 is working because the starting motor works. 

Relay #2 is working because the headlamp is ( I assume) working ? The way to verify it is working (since you don't wont to lean over the bike) is to push the horn button.

Relay #3 is working because the starter is allowed to crank. 

Relay #4 is working because it supplies +to  Relay #5 

Relay #5 would give you evidence of working when the fuel pump would (make noise) function . The #5 relay controls the + to the fuel injectors , ign. coils and the fuel pump.  

I oughta print this diagnostic rundown and carry it on the bike and leave a copy in the shop manual.

• Like 2

I have copies of some charts Kiwi_Roy posted on here a few years ago . I can't find them on this forum or I would repost them . He is MIA and I cant locate him.Hmmmm. I wish I were smart enuf to find things here . 

13 hours ago, guzziart said:

I oughta print this diagnostic rundown and carry it on the bike and leave a copy in the shop manual.

I labeled my relays like this:

DSCN2416.jpg

Yet, it is a must to know which fuse supplies each relay as "the rest of the story" is shown at the fuse block (inverted so as to read from the sidestand side of bike. Beside the road. While bewildered):

DSCN2417.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I marked up my relays, fuses, etc. after seeing yours Doc but mine aren't as elegant.

large.20230623_183255.jpg

• Like 3

On 7/12/2024 at 11:24 PM, gstallons said:

...Kiwi_Roy... He is MIA. 

I fear he is sadly no longer amongst us. Something he wrote a while back to the tune of "I will never achieve that now"... :wacko:

• Sad 3

Fear not brothers Guzzisti ! The venerable @Kiwi_Roy may not be visiting here any longer but he's still around and active on WG.

Screen Shot 2024-07-18 at 6.48.20 PM.png

Edited by Speedfrog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 7/19/2024 at 3:57 AM, Speedfrog said:

@Kiwi_Roy may not be visiting here any longer but he's still around and active on WG.

Well that's good to know. I was worried, as must have been obvious further up. :)