Growing wrath against mass tourism incites rejection reactions; do you relate to it?

9 hours ago, Guzzi-in-Vancouver said:

@GuzziMoto there’s a ski resort in MD‽

It is in PA, I can see it from where I live in MD. Where I am in MD I can see WV and PA, my part of MD is probably less then 10 miles wide. Just west of me MD gets even skinnier, only a couple miles wide.

On 10/9/2024 at 9:18 AM, audiomick said:

Have a good trip, mate. Are you going to Adelaide? Have a good time there, if you do. It's a lovely village. B)

G'day Mick

Just back on Wed.

No, we avoided the city of churches but skirted round it...Mannum, Hahndorf, Goolwa and Victor Harbour then Portland on the way back managing to get home before the statewide storms! We missed the 25mm of rain in 10 minutes and cricket ball sized hail in Casterton by a day but it's now just hitting Melbourne and heading for us in Gippsland. I wish I was able to post the TV news footage from Casterton but beyond my abilities I'm afraid.

Anyways we had a great time over there. Only Hahndorf and Victor Harbour were crowded but this is due to small streets limited parking and most of Adelaide flocks to these places on weekends when the weathers good. Absolutely nothing like the congestion of Europe and Nth America though! I remember when I first left NZ back in 1980 and feeling claustrophobia for the first time of my life in the small, overcrowded streets of London! And that was then so hate to think what it's like now...!

Gotta love the wide- open spaces and small populations down under eh!

Now, I have a week left before returning to the grindstone...bugger they go quick don't they.

Cheers 

• Like 2

G'day mate

We missed it thankfully but believe the storm was an inch of rain and the hail all in a crazy 10 minute burst then settled to a normal rain storm.....

We got home Wed arvo missing this, but it hit Casterton Wed/Thurs and Melbourne city later when the whole state of Victoria copped similar multiple freak storm fronts. I just drove through some of it yesterday ( Friday am ) when I had to go and visit my Father in hospital in Frankston. When I picked up my brother in Langwarrin the stormwater drain close to the house was within inches of overflowing and moving like a category rated raft able river!!

Then when we got outa the hospital only drizzle and blue sky...w t f ?

I got home about 3pm and my wife got a message on her phone to say be prepared for power outages for some time due to the next feral front but thankfully ( again ) this front parted like Moses and the red sea when it got to Drouin! So far this morning still have power and all seems ok.   

I really felt sorry for the few bikes I saw heading for Phillip Island and the GP this weekend too! Once again the weather looks like ruining the weekend? Even ole mate Dave tells me he was supposed to go down but has pulled the pin and will be watching it on TV.  

Ha ha, as will I !!

Cheers 

• Like 1
On 10/19/2024 at 8:17 AM, guzzler said:

G'day mate

We missed it thankfully but believe the storm was an inch of rain and the hail all in a crazy 10 minute burst then settled to a normal rain storm.....

We got home Wed arvo missing this, but it hit Casterton Wed/Thurs and Melbourne city later when the whole state of Victoria copped similar multiple freak storm fronts. I just drove through some of it yesterday ( Friday am ) when I had to go and visit my Father in hospital in Frankston. When I picked up my brother in Langwarrin the stormwater drain close to the house was within inches of overflowing and moving like a category rated raft able river!!

Then when we got outa the hospital only drizzle and blue sky...w t f ?

I got home about 3pm and my wife got a message on her phone to say be prepared for power outages for some time due to the next feral front but thankfully ( again ) this front parted like Moses and the red sea when it got to Drouin! So far this morning still have power and all seems ok.   

I really felt sorry for the few bikes I saw heading for Phillip Island and the GP this weekend too! Once again the weather looks like ruining the weekend? Even ole mate Dave tells me he was supposed to go down but has pulled the pin and will be watching it on TV.  

Ha ha, as will I !!

Cheers 

Anyone that rides their bike to PI deserves everything they get. I've been to PI track about 1 gazzillion times over the last 40 years and I learned in the first 2 years never take the bike. I always take the car and packed in the boot is the appropriate infostructure for everything from freezing hail and gale force winds to 40 degree heat and sunstroke and everything in between. This can happen all on the same day withing an hour, no exaduration. You can't carry enough stuff on a bike to cover off those conditions comfortably. Many times I've spectated from the car for a few hours in freezing driving rain only to be applying sun block an hour later.

Phil

Edited by Lucky Phil
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
20 hours ago, guzzler said:

Ha ha 

Yeah, it can be a little challenging can't it....

In I think 2003 a mate and his wife flew down from Sydney and stayed with us and we had stand tickets at Lukey heights. We sat there in miserable cold heavy rain and winds the only people in the stand until the MotoGP warm up was over and I said to them, we can either sit here and get soaked and cold and hope it clears or if we bail out now we can be back at my place for the start of the days racing and watch it on TV. You have come all this way, you decide I'm easy either way. They opted for the bail out. Got home an hour and a half later turned on the TV to watch the races with the island bathed in brilliant sunshine and everyone in shirt sleeves. 

• Haha 3