Transmission problem. Shift Bendix? Any ideas?

TomH

Howdy folks.

I have a 2000 V11 Sport, 45K miles, purchased in September last year.  She doesn't want to shift right lately.  I need some guidance.

On the road, she has fallen out of gear once or twice. I noted the gearbox oil was empty(!) and quick refilled. It has improved, but there's more.

She doesn't fall out of gear so much anymore, but she will "mis-shift" as in the pedal goes down, the clutch comes out and it misses. Not in gear.  It is more likely to happen between the upper gears.  I haven't really tracked where, I'm busy riding at the time. I think it's like between 4-5, but like I said, I haven't pinpointed it.

My mechanical skills are "developing" as we say in my world - they are not good yet.  But I'm learning patience and buying tools there days.

I have a local mechanic ($) who I can text, he suggests a "shift Bendix might be bent or damaged."  

1. Is this a reasonable diagnosis? If not, any other ideas?

2. Is this something I can do at home? I have a garage and some time. Bike is not a daily ride to work. Has anyone here dealt with this? (I'm sure there is...)

Thanks a million. 

PS - I'm slow to reply sometimes (life...), still sincere in thanks

• Like 1

Scary anytime someone says "oil was empty". That is bad. But what does "empty" really mean? was there some oil? or no oil? Where did the oil go? It is a closed system, the gearbox doesn't "use oil".

Probably the most common shifting issue with a V11 Sport is the simplest. The shift linkage itself. It can bind in a couple ways, including binding on the frame if the shift linkage is mis-adjusted. I would certainly start with the basics, make sure the oil level is right and the oil is the right oil. Next I would make sure the shift linkage moves freely with no binding. The throw from one gear to the next is not always exactly the same, so make sure the linkage moves freely between all gears. If the lock nuts come loose for the linkage that can cause the linkage to drift out of adjustment over time.

Next thing to check might be the internal linkage for the trans. And there is a shift spring that can break, as well as some other aspects of the shifting mechanism just under the back cover. If the issue is there you do not need to fully disassemble the trans.

The gearbox is just a gearbox. It is not that complicated. But getting it out can be a pain if that is required.

• Like 1

I would think that if there was *no* oil, maybe 50 miles or so would Donald Duck it. If there was some.. maybe you have dodged a pretty big bullet, but there also might just be some pretty blue gears/shafts. :blink: There's really no reason for no oil unless someone forgot to fill it.

Most likely is the linkage is not adjusted properly as mentioned above for the shifting problem..

• Like 1

Empty ? How much fluid did you add ? Be specific !  

First thing , YOU purchase enough to refill the gearbox . Next drain the oil from the gearbox and inspect the fluid That has come out.  Be sure you are draining and refilling the gearbox in the correct spots. Someone had refilled the gearbox at the rubber plugs going into the clutch housing area with bad results.

Let us know what happens

• Like 2

Thanks a million for the tips.

i swear there was no oil in the window, and that scared me a bit too, I didn’t see any leaks… it was a shocker.

I measured and filled the proscribed amount but didn’t have a chance to properly drain it and refill from scratch. I’ll do that when the weekend returns.

same for the linkage and other tips. I can handle all that stuff.

will post updates. Any time someone’s in Tacoma, I owe you beer.

• Like 1

Nooooo , the most important question is , how much oil did you add to the transmission to get it to the correct level ? Also , I hope the bike is in an upright position when you are doing this .

• Like 2

Gotcha.

i actually added the entire given amount in the specs- (can’t recall atm) and made sure the bike was level after. When I stood it up, the level read at the center of the bubble or slightly higher. It wasn’t over-full by my untrained assumption.

presumably the gearbox was dead empty. Yikes. Worried I did some harm there, obviously.

will drain and fill properly soon

• Sad 1

Refill capacity is 27-28 oz.  If this box was empty , you should have destroyed everything inside. Make sure you have ridden this at least 5 miles to make everything in the gearbox is mixed together , then remove the drain plug and allow just a little to drain (into a white paper plate) and quickly reinstalling the drain plug. Looking at what you have in the plate will tell you what is going on inside .

Shift bendix ? That is new to me.  A normal motorcycle trans had a shift drum that moves the gears to produce different gear ratios.  MG has a different setup .You would just have to look at it to understand how it works .There are adjustments that can be made but you have to be familiar wit this stuff before you start adjusting things .

• Like 5

If I may: you need to be thorough, systematic and careful in your analysis of what is going on. Record everything and be specific in the info you give us.... this will help in the analysis.

Tell us exactly what the oil is like when you drain it.

I'd replace it all again anyway and use the correct measure and filling procedure required. Keeping your bike really clean will help in identifying any leaks that may develop. And spending time just looking at it and under it, is part of being involved and knowing what is going on with our bikes.

I wouldn't ride it until you know what is going on.

I'm in Redmond so if you want to chat, send me a private message and I can give you my phone number.

• Like 3

I would not ride my bike to the end of the driveway (1000') and back w/no oil in the transmission.  You have no idea how fortunate you are !

• Like 3

On a lighter note : do you remember when  one guy drained the trans. and refilled through the flywheel inspection (rubber) plug ?

Edited by gstallons
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, gstallons said:

On s lighter note : do you remember when  one guy drained the trans. and refilled through the flywheel inspection (rubber) plug ?

Ew - I am not sure that is a "lighter note" . . . :huh: :o :unsure:

Great thing about @TomH coming here to solve this problem is:

This is the best place in the world for the care&feeding of a V11 LeMans/Sport . . . :luigi::sun::bier:

• Like 5

Thanks all. Agreed @docc, I'm mighty glad I landed here.

Here's the update. 

With the gearbox oil filled, It sat for about 10 days. Life happened.  Today I inspected underneath - no leaks.  I propped it up level, and the oil showed up.  I started it up and rope it around the block, cycling VERY GENTLY through the gears up and down.  Once it slipped coming down from 4 to 3.  I could not replicate it.

Miracle healing? Was I just shifting wrong somehow? I've been doing this for 5 years now. I've been through 5 bikes, all different. Never had a bike slip out of gear, but could the lack of oil cause that? I'm absolutely not an expert but not a 100% newbie rider.

@gstallons, I remember putting in 27 oz of oil, but I might've been wrong about it being empty. Here's what it looks like now, after a 5 minute ride. Awfully frothy, right? Can't be good

image.png

This is with the bike level. There's a good chance I didn't level the bike when I read the bubble the first time. Rookie mistake. This thing has a stupid deep lean on the kickstand.  That's probably why I didn't kill it. Must've had some in it.  With it tilted now, it shows a little more than before I added oil.  I wonder if it's too high now since there's probably some in.  I'll find out soon when it comes out. Planning to drain it this afternoon.

I also inspected the linkage off the the shift lever, it's straight. 

So for now I'm going to drain the gearbox and refill with new clean stuff. I am not taking the covers off of anything yet, I don't want to open up stuff if I don't have to.

Very thankful for the input, folks!

• Like 1