Tennessee’ns, chime in…

Gmc28

looks like I’ll be heading to Charlotte NC in November for a wedding.  My wife and a couple friends are interested in flying into Nashville to do stuff there for a night or two, then hop over to Charlotte.   The Nashville thing started with me noodling how I’d weasel my way into shooting down to the tail of the dragon to check that box, since i’m not out east very often any more.  

my enthusiasm for the tail has flagged significantly of late, as I realize all the people that now target that road to ride, and in other threads I’ve gotten some input on where else around there a guy might want to tour for just a day or two.  But time to revive that train of thought, and make some actual arrangements.  

so, any fresh thoughts on whether the tail in November would be worthwhile, from a weather and crowds perspective, and/or whether to skip it and shoot for another area nearby, just for a day or two.   this would all be from nashville, as it appears there is a moto rental place right there at the airport, and my partners in crime will be staying in nashville if/when i sneak out to ride a bit. 

love any thoughts from locals or those who have ridden the area and have recommendations. 

Going from Nashville, pick up TN Route 30 at McMinnville, eastbound, past Fall Creek Falls. Make your way to Tellico Plains and ride The Cherohala Skyway to Robbinsville, NC, then follow US129 north "toward" The Tail of the Dragon.

About a mile or so before that crossroad is the Cheoah Dam ("The Fugitive Dam", from that movie) and a delightful lunch stop on the left: The Tapoco Lodge.

Parking at "The Crossroads" (US129/TN28) and watching the carnival can be entertaining, yet riding TN28 toward Fontana, even as far as Highlands is vastly better than "The Tail."

November weather on the Appalachian Divide can be blustery. Or perfect! :sun:  :race:

• Like 1

love it - thank u!

• Like 1