Preload

guzzler

No worries DGI.

Mate we can only dream of that sort of attitude to speed here in Victoria....it really is ridiculous. A couple of kays over and it's a 2 or $300 donation to the Policemans ball and 2 or more points off your licence.If you really let er rip you can end up in jail and lose your bike too. Sooo glad I gave it heaps back in the day as tolerance is long gone.

Tassie (Tasmania) has a much better attitude and some brilliant roads and riding but I believe the roads like everywhere else here in Oz are going downhill too. It's a bit of an effort/cost in getting your bike down there too. It was a riders paradise back in 87 on my GPZ900. My native NZ has great roads too but a similar attitude to speed as here in Victoria.....arghhh.

Just gotta make the best of what we've got I guess and be ever watchful for Mr Plod. Actually, that's where the Guzzi is handy in that you can still enjoy yourself without going over the top.I don't know how you could run a modern litre bike or even a smaller sport bike and keep your licence for any length of time.

I've got a Hyperpro shock on the rear and have 15mm of preload* on it now and 28 of 50 clicks rebound ( Both comp and reb are set together on a fixed ratio on these emulsion shocks) and forks sorted resprung/valved and adjusted for me. She's still firm but worth it for the way she handles. Mate the best thing you can do on the red frame V11 is sort the compression leg ie block those holes so oil goes thru valving and not everything damping wise in the last 25mm of travel and hydraulic lock! Then correct springs for your weight and adjust accordingly. I may add 5mm to the shock down the track to put a bit more weight on the front.

Mate, I look at some of the photos of the roads in the States and the condition of them, and think wow they' be fun especially with that tolerance so you can enjoy them. Anyway's we can still have some fun and enjoy ourselves down here all the same.

Ha ha enjoy mate and keep that Oz licence handy as it seems to be doing the trick eh!   

Cheers   

* up from 10mm.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Actually, as it's $300 plus post of shock to /from SA to have it lengthened, I'm thinking about just raising the forks in triples by another 4mm to make them 12mm in total and see how this goes as should achieve much the same result....

She's bloody good in the twisties as is but I did like that really planted front feel with the tankbag on....

More to come on this later....

On 8/25/2024 at 1:15 AM, guzzler said:

No worries DGI.

Mate we can only dream of that sort of attitude to speed here in Victoria....it really is ridiculous. A couple of kays over and it's a 2 or $300 donation to the Policemans ball and 2 or more points off your licence.If you really let er rip you can end up in jail and lose your bike too. Sooo glad I gave it heaps back in the day as tolerance is long gone.

Tassie (Tasmania) has a much better attitude and some brilliant roads and riding but I believe the roads like everywhere else here in Oz are going downhill too. It's a bit of an effort/cost in getting your bike down there too. It was a riders paradise back in 87 on my GPZ900. My native NZ has great roads too but a similar attitude to speed as here in Victoria.....arghhh.

Just gotta make the best of what we've got I guess and be ever watchful for Mr Plod. Actually, that's where the Guzzi is handy in that you can still enjoy yourself without going over the top.I don't know how you could run a modern litre bike or even a smaller sport bike and keep your licence for any length of time.

I've got a Hyperpro shock on the rear and have 15mm of preload* on it now and 28 of 50 clicks rebound ( Both comp and reb are set together on a fixed ratio on these emulsion shocks) and forks sorted resprung/valved and adjusted for me. She's still firm but worth it for the way she handles. Mate the best thing you can do on the red frame V11 is sort the compression leg ie block those holes so oil goes thru valving and not everything damping wise in the last 25mm of travel and hydraulic lock! Then correct springs for your weight and adjust accordingly. I may add 5mm to the shock down the track to put a bit more weight on the front.

Mate, I look at some of the photos of the roads in the States and the condition of them, and think wow they' be fun especially with that tolerance so you can enjoy them. Anyway's we can still have some fun and enjoy ourselves down here all the same.

Ha ha enjoy mate and keep that Oz licence handy as it seems to be doing the trick eh!   

Cheers   

* up from 10mm.  

You need to be careful about the rear shock length on the v11. If my memory serves you can't go much beyond and extra 10mm in length or you run into clearance issues with the front uni joint and the swingarm hole. If your Hyperpro is already lengthened. I havea Wilbers with a ride height adjuster on the swingarm end.

Currently staying in this Tuscan Villa. Looking down into the valley you may just be able to make out the famous Mugello race track. We are less than 2 klms from it. The roads around here are so amazing I wonder why the need a track at all. There's a Porsche club using the track until tonight apparently. You can here them in the distance. Naturally nobody here complains about a bit of engine noise off in the distance, unlike home.

IMG_4032.JPG

IMG_4033.JPG

Phil

Edited by Lucky Phil
  • Like 7

Thanks Phil.

No, my Hyperpro shock is standard length 280mm, I've not done anything about having it lengthened. Thought I'd try popping the forks up a bit more and see how this goes as it's less of a hassle.

Looks like you're really enjoying your trip mate! I can tell you you're not missing anything weather wise back home!

Cheers 

10 hours ago, guzzler said:

Thanks Phil.

No, my Hyperpro shock is standard length 280mm, I've not done anything about having it lengthened. Thought I'd try popping the forks up a bit more and see how this goes as it's less of a hassle.

Looks like you're really enjoying your trip mate! I can tell you you're not missing anything weather wise back home!

Cheers 

Oh good, glad I didn't fly half way around the world to miss great weather at home. The weather here is perfect. Yesterday evening we sat outside in the 24 degree sunny day, drank vino and listened to the steady stream of sports bikes going past on the very windy road past and below the villa. After we ate a simple meal we prepared ourselves with pomodoro, Mozzarella, basil and Bresaola. The Pomodoro and Basil were home grown and given to us by our hosts. The road surfaces here are perfectly smooth and grippy. Relaxation day today with a tour around the local area and a visit to the Mugello track. 

Only issue is I really don't want to leave.

IMG_4067.JPG

IMG_4064.JPG

Phil

Edited by Lucky Phil
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Only issue is I really don't want to leave. 

You've got to watch that, mate. I didn't want to leave the first time I went to Germany, so I went back. And I'm still here nearly 30 years later. :huh2:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Remember I had imigration papers for checking out Australia early seventys, even free house's that time, don't think I'm dreaming :sun:.

Cheers Tom.

9 hours ago, Tomchri said:

Remember I had imigration papers for checking out Australia early seventys, even free house's that time, don't think I'm dreaming :sun:.

Cheers Tom.

Mate

And now Aussie housing prices are outa control, with some of the most expensive around!

I'd hate to be a kid trying to get into one these days.