Preload

guzzler

19 hours ago, guzzler said:

...would you do anything with the forks ie put them back flush or leave as is at 8mm up thru triples??

That is easy to try out. I wouldn't get caught up in philosiphising there. Just suck it and see. :huh2:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, audiomick said:

That is easy to try out. I wouldn't get caught up in philosiphising there. Just suck it and see. :huh2:

Still deciding what to do mate...

I agree though as I would try it with 5mm shock extension and forks as is first. I'm sorta thinking this might be the way to go...

Cheers 

11 minutes ago, gstallons said:

Is that a real word ?

Philosiphising?

No, spelling error. Philosophising is correct.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/philosophizing

whereby this part of the defintion is particularly relevant. B)

sometimes instead of doing something practical

NB: the spelling mistake was the "i" instead of an "o". The "z" doesn't count. That is just US American imprecision. :whistle:

On 7/25/2024 at 9:43 PM, guzzler said:

I just heard back from Hyperpro Australia.

They can lengthen the shock by 5mm for me for $300 plus postage to/from Sth Australia.

Turnaround is 3 x days.. 

I wonder if this might be the best solution to put some more weight on the front as the shock still feels good as supplied with 10mm preload.

To the others who have the Ohlins shock which is 5mm longer than standard....how do you find this? Did it weight the front any more?

If I did this, would you do anything with the forks ie put them back flush or leave as is at 8mm up thru triples??

Cheers Guzzler

As others have pointed out, the ride height does not so much change the actual weight on the front (typically around 43-45% with the rider on a Spineframe), yet significantly affects handling geometry.  No doubt, the spring selection is fundamental to making all the other parameters work well together.

A link to similar discussion and the post referencing my 5.5mm longer Öhlins:

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, guzzler said:

Thanks for that Doc...

I knew there was good info on this on here but couldn't find it!

Cheers 

Here is one about weight distribution:

And what it could take to get from 43% to 48% on the front:

• Thanks 1

Thanks again folk's....

Great info as usual and what a fantastic resource this place is!

I reckon I'll add a wee bit more rear preload ( 4mm ) to cover my weight gain and see how that goes.

Then a bit further down the track have the shock lengthened by 5mm.

Cheers 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Update.

Well I've adjusted the preload another 5mm and gotta say......Woo bloody Hoo!

Should've done this years ago when I put on the extra kilo's.

Only had one ride so far but I'm bloody chuffed with it,doubt any more weight on the front but front and back seem much more together or cohesive if that makes any sense?

She was good before but even better now. My usual test road has a bit of everything (and is a great test for suspension) was quite a revelation! 

Bloody hell the sections where $1.20 was pushing it a bit previously (road conditions mostly) left me thinking maybe try that a bit harder next time ha ha.

Then again watching the mail for a couple o weeks gets old eh!

Just another piece in the jigsaw puzzle of V11 ownership slotting into place!

Cheers 

Ps I'll live with it like this for a while and determine whether or not to go the 5mm extension on the shock later on eh.

Pps still buzzing and still amazed that having owned this bike for nigh on 15 years she still delivers on all fronts for me and can't wait for the next ride! No other bike has.... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, guzzler said:

Update.

Well I've adjusted the preload another 5mm and gotta say......Woo bloody Hoo!

Should've done this years ago when I put on the extra kilo's.

Only had one ride so far but I'm bloody chuffed with it,doubt any more weight on the front but front and back seem much more together or cohesive if that makes any sense?

She was good before but even better now. My usual test road has a bit of everything (and is a great test for suspension) was quite a revelation! 

Bloody hell the sections where $1.20 was pushing it a bit previously (road conditions mostly) left me thinking maybe try that a bit harder next time ha ha.

Then again watching the mail for a couple o weeks gets old eh!

Just another piece in the jigsaw puzzle of V11 ownership slotting into place!

Cheers 

Ps I'll live with it like this for a while and determine whether or not to go the 5mm extension on the shock later on eh.

Pps still buzzing and still amazed that having owned this bike for nigh on 15 years she still delivers on all fronts for me and can't wait for the next ride! No other bike has.... 

How are the conditions of the roads out your way at the moment? Around here they are totally appalling. So bad I'm reluctant to take the Supra out driving and I'm dodging everywhere avoiding potholes that will swallow a basketball in the other cars with higher profile tyres. Plenty of money being spent on useless endeavours like mowing grass 2 inches high on the sides of the roads but zero interest it seems on fixing the suspension killing roads after the wettest coldest winter here in years.

Phil  

• Like 1

Many of the roads here are 3rd world.  I keep the suspensions on my bike SOFT.  I also use BOTH brakes to stop.  Got to keep it level when I stop.

1 hour ago, Lucky Phil said:

How are the conditions of the roads out your way at the moment? Around here they are totally appalling. So bad I'm reluctant to take the Supra out driving and I'm dodging everywhere avoiding potholes that will swallow a basketball in the other cars with higher profile tyres. Plenty of money being spent on useless endeavours like mowing grass 2 inches high on the sides of the roads but zero interest it seems on fixing the suspension killing roads after the wettest coldest winter here in years.

Phil  

G'day mate.

Yeah, like everywhere else in the state...bad and getting worse!

It is a bloody disgrace that a supposedly first world country has main roads and national highways in this condition whilst what money that is available is being squandered on ever more ridiculous pursuits not to mention budgetary blowouts due to incompetence and bureaucratic bullshit ( Victorian public service has grown 30 + percent under this very hard left government ) whilst roads health education you name it suffers....

Anyways back to topic in hand,I ride this road a fair bit so know where and what to watch out for but geez it'd be something else if it were in perfect nick! Only a bloody fool would ride the backroads hard without knowing them but having said that it's only a decent deluge/ frost/ heavy windstorm away from disaster so you never can be sure what's around that next corner!   

Cheers 

• Like 1

(Slightly off topic sorry Guzzler)

Wow.

So sad to read that $1.20 means you've got to watch the mail for a couple weeks!

Glad I don't live where I was born!

Most of the West Coast of the U.S. is $1.00 to $1.20, but if you adhere to those values you have people right up your arse on their horns. $1.20 seems to be the minimum everywhere and $1.30 to $1.40 is really common. Hell, in Los Angeles a couple years ago, a cop reprimanded me for only doing $1.30 in the fast lane, He flashed me to move over!

Road conditions are mixed with everything from perfect billiard table surfaces to rough potholed roads.

Would love to change the suspension on my Greenie to Ohlins front and rear for the extra compliance and adjustability because I find the stock suspension pretty harsh. So specifically, what did you end up doing Guzz?

If you can avoid the roads that are rough, there is some excellent riding here. Eastern Oregon has some absolutely beautiful roads in fabulous condition.

Anyway, back to the speed thing: The police here are by and large great and very reasonable, so I have found. Been let off 9 times in a row over 10 years. I keep telling my mates here, that when number 10 rolls around, I'm buying beers and lunch for everyone! It really pays to keep my down under license with me when I'm riding. ;-)

• Like 1