gasket for the timing sensor

7 hours ago, 80CX100 said:

...I recently got schooled big time,when I found a spark plug cap on my Griso that "looked" perfect on the exterior,but was completely fried on the inside...

Yes, it pays to really look at that stuff when the bike is going back together, really pay attention to what you are doing.

I had one where the V35 Imola was "hesistant" at a particular engine speed. Nothing visible, but it turned out that the one plug cap just wasn't quite seated correctly. Another one: in the course of doing something or other under the tank, I had pushed the plug leads out of the way, maybe pulled on one whilst replacing the tank. Whatever, I didn't even notice it running badly, but the next time I looked under the tank I saw the damage. The lead out of the r/h coil was not plugged up properly. It was still sparking, but the shroud that the plug sits on around the contact had been eroded away to the extent that about a third of the material was gone. Cost me a new coil just for being careless. :huh2:

• Like 2

My :2c: IMHO, that timing sensor is wrong for the application.  It wouldn't surprise me if it turned out that the sensor was never designed for use in "wet" applications.  I fiddled trying to seal the original with a new oring, the specified oring, two small orings, several types of sealers, jb weld, etc.  I finally gave up, installed a new sensor, specified oring and some gasket sealer....still not happy with the results.  However, every other stupid minute leak, weep or seep I had on the bike was resolved to my satisfaction.  Yeah, as mentioned in another post here, the sensor does "swell",  I don't know if it is from the engine heat, synthetic oil, i don't know.  Other v11's I've seen have the leak, seep, weep, there too.  Maybe there are a combination of issues there..wrong sensor for the application, oring size/material, sensor bore/counter bore incorrectly machined into the block or specs are out of tolerance or wrong.  Who knows??!!  OK, now I'm venting....apparently.

Anyway, thanks for listening, there are far worse things that can afflict our v11's, have a nice day!

Art

• Like 1

8 hours ago, guzziart said:

My :2c: IMHO, that timing sensor is wrong for the application.  It wouldn't surprise me if it turned out that the sensor was never designed for use in "wet" applications.  I fiddled trying to seal the original with a new oring, the specified oring, two small orings, several types of sealers, jb weld, etc.  I finally gave up, installed a new sensor, specified oring and some gasket sealer....still not happy with the results.  However, every other stupid minute leak, weep or seep I had on the bike was resolved to my satisfaction.  Yeah, as mentioned in another post here, the sensor does "swell",  I don't know if it is from the engine heat, synthetic oil, i don't know.  Other v11's I've seen have the leak, seep, weep, there too.  Maybe there are a combination of issues there..wrong sensor for the application, oring size/material, sensor bore/counter bore incorrectly machined into the block or specs are out of tolerance or wrong.  Who knows??!!  OK, now I'm venting....apparently.

Anyway, thanks for listening, there are far worse things that can afflict our v11's, have a nice day!

Art

The sensor is used in literally dozens of other engine applications in the automotive world. Like many things they don't last forever. I bought 2 Chinese made ones about 6 years ago and used one in the Daytona engine. I think I paid $15aud for 2 direct from the manufacturer. The postage at the time was more than the cost of the sensors. Still working fine but very little mileage. I had images of them on here somewhere, probably in the daytona rebuild thread.

Phil  

• Thanks 1

Didn't someone come up w/a crank sensor that goes in a Peugot or something like that ? 

These crankshaft sensors swelling and rupturing take place in the (domestic) automobile industry a lot ! GM had one in a FWD car that would fail , get stuck in the bore of the block . This would be so bad you would have to remove the oil pan and drive the sensor out of the engine block one segment at a time until you could install a new one. YUCK

Edited by gstallons
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, gstallons said:

Didn't someone come up w/a crank sensor that goes in a Peugot or something like that ? 

These crankshaft sensors swelling and rupturing take place in the (domestic) automobile industry a lot ! GM had one in a FWD car that would fail , get stuck in the bore of the block . This would be so bad you would have to remove the oil pan and drive the sensor out of the engine block one segment at a time until you could install a new one. YUCK

My original equipment sensor was close to an interference fit in the bore due to swelling.  I recall measuring it and found the o.d along its length varied.  Probably one of the reasons I replaced it eventually.  And, of course, idk if the replacement sensor is marginally in spec, I got it from one of our popular MG parts suppliers, so who knows.  In either case I recall both sensors having a slight texture to their surface, not good for something that seals by way of an oring imo.  Yeah, I'd really be bummed if I had to pull the cam chain housing apart to drive out a broken sensor, I oughtta quit complaining while I'm ahead.:D

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, gstallons said:

Fiat, Alfa Romeo, Lancia . . . I got mine from this company here

https://cars245.com/en/item/meat-doria-87074-sensor-crankshaft-pulse/

Cheap enough to keep a couple on the shelf. :rasta:

A good read for phase sensor specs and cross references:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My experience with automotive sensors is to go OEM and stay away from franchise store sensors. You can get messed up fast. 

"But it can't be that , I just put a new one in there" ! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gstallons said:

My experience with automotive sensors is to go OEM and stay away from franchise store sensors. You can get messed up fast. 

"But it can't be that , I just put a new one in there" ! 

Slight issue with that when they don't make them OEM anymore. Then you source them from a "parts store" who source them from China and triple the price for the same item you cab buy direct.

The V11 Sport is an obsolete motorcycle and all new OEM parts are pretty much gone.

Phil

Edited by Lucky Phil
  • Like 1