Coppa Italia in the UK is it the only one?

Steve S

Thanks for all the positive comments, and I'll look into that plasticiser additive, thanks Mick and that grease thanks docc. All of these observations are based on a 20 minute squint and opening up bubble wrapped parts!

I did google Moto Corse exhausts and found they still make (very) high end titanium exhausts for modern bikes, but nothing for Guzzis now. Who knows, it may end up as totally unusable/loud/doesn't fit/whatever, but someone paid a fortune for it?

There's also a tailbag for what I think is the guzzi alloy rear rack, but no sign of the rack unfortunately. Someone spent a lot on that bike and then let it sit, apparently unprotected from the elements for years. Possibly an older owner who passed away? We'll never know. The dealer sources all the bikes from a trusted agent, and swore blind the engine will be fine as he'd heard it run .

There were a couple of exotic Ducatis in the store room and a couple of years ago they sourced and sold a Nero Corsa Lemans (anyone on here?).

You can see where we picked off a tiny bit of the film in this picture, apparently the best technique is to gently warm with a heatgun, though I have used wd40 on some very old britbike decals? Anyway, I suspect that will be the least of the challenges ahead!

Oh, and there is at least one other Coppa Italia in the UK, tucked away in this gallery (along with a Nero Corsa):-

https://pecam.org.uk/community/members-bikes/

film_picked_sml.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/29/2024 at 6:33 PM, Steve S said:

Not the only Coppa Italia in the UK. I know of one, & have been asked by its owner if I’m interested in buying it. Clearly he thinks that as I already have 5 various V11s including a Rosso Corsa, I’d be interested in buying his. He’s correct, you can never have enough V11s. :D The question is, what’s a Coppa Italia worth? This one is good, but not perfect. It’ll require new tyres, battery, fluids, consumables etc, but it’s a fundamentally sound bike with great paintwork. It’s difficult to put a market value on a Coppa Italia as they are rare, & if we are realistic, with any old Guzzi apart from possibly the MK1 Le Mans (and I have a friend currently considering selling his virtually perfect MK1) and the Daytona, classic Guzzi’s aren’t really that sought after in the eyes of some motorcycle enthusiasts. As with anything they are only worth what someone will offer on the day

Any guidance from all you Guzzistas would be gratefully appreciated 

@Guzzimax, not sure what the UK market is, but in the US one sold a few months back on the Bring a Trailer auction site for an even $10,500. Maybe a year or two before another one sold for around 10k, same site. The one that just sold looked pretty good, but had a few niggles. I thought mine looked better than that one. 

You say they are rare in the UK. Idk exactly how rare they are here, but Coppas are around and for sale maybe once a year. But it has been said that only 40 came into the US...who really knows?

One comment that was made after the sale of the last one was that it was the most expensive V11 ever. Not sure about that because I have seen Nero Corsas command some high prices. 

• Like 2

My brother sent me this Facebook link yesterday, is this your friend's? Looks nicer than mine! 😁 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/731294041018851/permalink/1708661509948761/?sale_post_id=1708661509948761&mibextid=rS40aB7S9Ucbxw6v

I would also add the market for even Mk1 lemans has "softened" considerably, I also have a friend trying to sell a nice "mock 1" , a mk2 made to look like a mk1. It's very nice and a good price but no interest.

Yeah, saw that thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2024 at 7:22 AM, Lucky Phil said:

Let me know if you ever want to sell the aftermarket exhaust.

Phil

Apologies Phil, only just twigged you meant (I think) my titanium system?

I've no idea yet if it fits/works/is ear-bleedingly loud? I have had dB killers made for other slightly exotic exhaust systems (including an ex-race XR1200 Harley believe it or not!) but it's not a priority right now.

I am looking forward to at least a trial fit at some point, just to see what it looks like on the bike, but if I DO decide to move it on, you have first shout. I'll probably put up some pics of it loosely assembled (it's leaning up against the bench in my garage in that state now) as it's such a lovely thing to gawp at!

• Like 2