Alloy cam gears

Not only the aluminium oil pump gears that fail on the high cam engines. Total rubbish.

Daytons RS.jpg

Edited by Lucky Phil
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, DucatiGuzziIndian said:

how many miles on that Phil?

Don't know the image was sent to me from Joe Caruso because we discuss engineering things/designs etc. I have several sets in my workshop with bad drive face wear on the teeth which I don't really trust for the reason shown in the image. Every material has it's place and aluminium for cam gears isn't one of them for mine unless it's some sort of sprint engine and longevity isn't an issue. 

Phil 

• Like 2

I have a whole ‘Chamber of Horrors’ file of pics of Alloy timing gears and alloy/steel composite sets. None of them are, or were, ever worth a pinch of shit! Criticising them has led to threats of violence being made against me by mentally unstable and drug-fu*ked individuals so I tend not to say anything about them nowadays beyond just advising strongly against their use.

I’ve spoken with Joe about these gear sets though and we’r in complete agreement. You wouldn’t use them in a lawnmower! Much less a motorbike!

• Like 3

I've seen gear drives , straight-cut gears ,etc. for car engines . They sound righteous . Gear driven camshafts are the norm on diesel engines ,   

The stuff they are peddling for the M/G powerplant ? NO WAY . It is a waste of time to discourage someone from using it , they know it is what they want , let them run it and find out or "you must notta put it in there correctly" .

I replaced the OEM alloy gears in my HiCam engine with steel versions from Joe

The OEM crank driving gear is steel, but the oil pump and cam were allo

I just thought it was prudent, the amount of effort to turn an engine and compress the valve springs said to me that it might not be prudent to have alloy as a suitable material

Gear cam drive is good, but aluminum gears for that are not a good idea for a street motor, as said. It just isn't what aluminum is good for. Strange that Guzzi went with some of the gears in aluminum for the high cam motor. But they do screw up occasionally. That said, while I would convert a chain drive cam set up to gears, I would only do so if the gears in question were steel or another suitable material.

• Like 1

Any engineer with half a brain would know alloy gears are a no no.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, emry said:

I didn't know this was an actual debate... WOW.

Where the hell have you been over the years, on the moon :lol:

Phil

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, emry said:

I didn't know this was an actual debate... WOW.

19 minutes ago, gstallons said:

That is how you make something into a Hot Topic !

11 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Where the hell have you been over the years, on the moon :lol:

Phil

6 minutes ago, gstallons said:

Well , he's officially been flushed out !

We could go live with this! SSR XX is just not that far from Marietta, Georgia, @emry !

Y'all come, now! Ya hear? :race:   :luigi:     :drink:

• Like 2