Alloy cam gears

24 minutes ago, emry said:

Heh: what I see on that link looks like something about pigs having wings . . .

I can't seem to make it display . . . :blink:

The picture is no doubt from one of those "AI" programmes, like Easy Diffusion, where you type in "a picture of a Moto Guzzi on the moon" or something and it generates a picture. I had a play with that a while back. Quite surprising what it comes up with. :)

Studebaker, of all companies, had good luck with alloy cam driven gears in their Avanti R-2,3,4 etc. We installed one on dad's '63 Lark Wagonaire. Mind you, they were helical cut. They replaced the FIBRE OEM cam gears, which were also not known for failure. However, a V8 has considerably less fluctuation in crank/cam rotational velocity than a 270º V.  

Well , Studebaker had supreme quality control .  They had a quality product but they moved in baby steps AFA styling was concerned.

These internet performance companies market anything that will increase HP , cure ED and give you the hair of Samson .  

Posted (edited)
On 8/4/2024 at 6:45 AM, gstallons said:

Well , Studebaker had supreme quality control .  They had a quality product but they moved in baby steps AFA styling was concerned.

These internet performance companies market anything that will increase HP , cure ED and give you the hair of Samson .  

Very true. 90% of these fancy billet aftermarket stuff like engine mounts and suspension components etc sold these days by aftermarket companies for the automotive world which I also inhabit are untested glitz or at the most they get installed on the shop car for a few months before the sales start. 6 months later on forums they are more often than not failing. Billet this and carbon that with almost zero testing. I have several close family members that spent collectively 75 years working for a major manufacturer here in automotive R&D and testing everything automotive and also crash testing. The aftermarket testing is a joke compared to what the manufacturers do and even then they also don't get it 100% right.

Phil

Edited by Lucky Phil
  • Like 5