2 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

I've not seen a rear jaw moveable vice before docc. Id imagine if the rear jaw was located on a dovetail arrangement it would be more accurate clamping than a common vice.

Phil

Hmm, yes, indeed: a full length dovetail and the rear, movable jaw . . .

IMG_2958.jpg

I suspect it would have accurate clamping jaws but not be heavy duty.

This guy built his own vise for manufacture and sale.

Phil

Edited by Lucky Phil
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Phil

Absolutely.  And the swivel has no anchor. I saw that clamp mount called a "leg vise."

I also noticed the big Wittner C44 utility vise has a square recess at the back of the anvil surface. Some sort of mounting hole?

IMG_2937.jpg

9 hours ago, docc said:

I also noticed the big Wittner C44 utility vise has a square recess at the back of the anvil surface. Some sort of mounting hole?

I'm guessing, but...

I went looking for pictures because I remember the anvil that my father had on the farm in my childhood had similar holes in it. Turns out, the holes have names

Anvil,_labelled_en.svg

Gerald G, CC0, via Wikimedia Commons

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anvil#Structure

I think the square one in your anvil may, perhaps, be a "Hardy hole" intended indeed as a mounting hole for "Hardy tools".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardy_tool

Perhaps the manufacturer of the vise offered accessory tools that could be mounted in the hole.

Seems plausible to me. :huh2:

EDIT: I found what seems to be cofirmation of my bold theory. B)

Someone asked the same question about the hole here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Tools/comments/8mzd5a/question_about_a_columbian_c44_vise/?rdt=46355

and was directed to here

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/threads/the-vises-of-garage-journal.44782/post-2383317

where there is a copy of a catalogue page showing the accessory.

Edited by audiomick
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

This guy built his own vise for manufacture and sale.

Phil

Is this vise called John Holmes ?

• Haha 2

I have one of the anvils that came from the Blacksmith shop in Barlow , Ky.  It used to have a mini anvil that went into the square hole at the end. A Civil War reenactor explained this mini anvil and it's purpose . I think he called it a "bic" or something similar.  

The largest vise I have ever seen is at TVA "Shawnee Steam Plant" close by . I can assure you two strongmen would look at that thing and say "no way"! It would take a tractor & a boom pole to pick this up. 

• Like 1

The old Anvil from my grandfathers farm shop with the two holes described now in my basement shop (1908 home) and used occasionally, nearby the phones from same place, and the late 1800’s snooker table that I used to have in my hangar (no place large enough to set up).

IMG_4460.jpeg

IMG_4456.jpeg

IMG_4463.jpeg

• Like 2

That anvil had better be the last thing to go . It looks like it has seen a lot of wear . There is an old fart in Paducah living close to where my wife's cousin lived and I ws working on her Snapper mower . I spied an anvil across the alley and spent 3 hours at his house getting an education on anvils , their history and enough info to last a lifetime !

We all have a telephone daddy bought 3 or 4 of a long X ago. The old people used to tear the phones apart and get the crank generator out of , stick wires in the ground , crank on it and force the worms out of the ground to go fishing with . 

I need to learn how to get pics off my phone to post on this forum ! Do you think p6x would like to get in on this erratic conversation ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Through one of the links @audiomick posted, I found the nomenclature for my dentist's small vise with the moveable jaw at the rear. Rather than a "leg vice" it is sold as a "dovetail hobby vise" with clamp mount (mine is 58 mm/ 2 1/4") . . .

Sealey-Cv50-Dovetail-Hobby-Vice-50Mm_629

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sealey-Cv50-Dovetail-Hobby-Vice-50Mm/1741421478?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=101318182&adid=22222222222000000000&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=s&wl2=c&wl3=10352200394&wl4=pla-1103028060075&wl5=&wl6=&wl7=&wl10=Walmart&wl11=Online&wl12=1741421478_10001337540&wl14=dovetail vice&veh=sem&gclsrc=ds

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, docc said:

Through one of the links @audiomick posted, I found the nomenclature for my dentist's small vise with the moveable jaw at the rear. 

That'd be "collateral benefit" then, wouldn't it? B)

That vise looks like a handy piece of kit. Well scored. :)

Edited by audiomick
49 minutes ago, docc said:

Through one of the links @audiomick posted, I found the nomenclature for my dentist's small vise with the moveable jaw at the rear. Rather than a "leg vice" it is sold as a "dovetail hobby vise" with clamp mount (mine is 58 mm/ 2 1/4") . . .

Sealey-Cv50-Dovetail-Hobby-Vice-50Mm_629

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sealey-Cv50-Dovetail-Hobby-Vice-50Mm/1741421478?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=101318182&adid=22222222222000000000&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=s&wl2=c&wl3=10352200394&wl4=pla-1103028060075&wl5=&wl6=&wl7=&wl10=Walmart&wl11=Online&wl12=1741421478_10001337540&wl14=dovetail vice&veh=sem&gclsrc=ds

Of course the disadvantage of this vise is the threaded shaft is exposed to damage from whatever you are holding in the vise.

Phil

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Of course the disadvantage of this vise is the threaded shaft is exposed to damage from whatever you are holding in the vise.

Phil

Yes, indeed! In fact the threads are buggered on mine!

I am rather surprised the exposed threads of the Wittner C44 are not damaged in the least. On that "utility" vise, the exposed screw allows for "the dynamic jaw square slider."  Is that feature more robust or accurate than the more common C-channel guide used to cover the screw?