Can anyone recognize the bike Tom Cruise rides in the Olympic Games handover?

They have obviously shot the sequence to occult easy recognition. As far as I can tell, it is a vertical twin cylinder, but that's all I can make out...

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, gstallons said:

IDK and I doubt that is Tom Cruise on the bike

Knowing that he actually does his own stunts, including the many jumps for his last Mission Impossible movie, he is perfectly capable to ride a bike in the middle of Paris.

Edited by p6x

Yes, I reckon it is really the man himself on the bike.

I can't identify the bike, but I reckon it is probably electric. Don't be fooled by the sound-track. That is the easiest thing in the world to fake. ;)

Edited by audiomick
2 hours ago, audiomick said:

Yes, I reckon it is really the man himself on the bike.

I can't identify the bike, but I reckon it is probably electric. Don't be fooled by the sound-track. That is the easiest thing in the world to fake. ;)

Whatever the bike is I know one thing for sure. It's definitely NOT cool. Bit like the Prince music video from years back with Prince trying to look cool riding some appalling Honda faux chopper thing.  

Phil

Edited by Lucky Phil
  • Haha 1

I was wrong.

This is not a twin, but it is either three cylinders or four cylinders. Three cylinders but not with a 120 degrees crank angle, because it has not got that typical triple sound, so it has one of those T-Plane arrangement.

This is based on the sound of the motorcycle in that "behind the scenes" video.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, p6x said:

This is based on the sound of the motorcycle in that "behind the scenes" video.

I reckon you're probably right about the bike actually making the sounds one hears in the video.

The only bike sound in the video that I am prepared to believe is actually coming from the bike in the picture is at 1:08, and that sounds like an electric bike to me. I'm convinced the rest is dubbed in. :huh2:

Got it. B)

This article, found by searching for "electric motorcycle Los Angeles olympic handover film", named it

(EDIT: be warned, the article is pretty much a waste of data storage space. Don't feel obliged to read it all... :whistle:)

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/this-is-how-tom-cruise-pulled-off-the-ultimate-stunt-at-the-2024-olympic-games-238299.html

an all-black, all-electric 2024 Harley-Davidson LiveWire S2 Del Mar.

This is it

https://www.livewire.com/de-de/s2-del-mar-electric-motorcycle

pdp-details-s2dm-asphalt-black.png

EDIT: Thinking about it, what else could they use?

Electric because "Olympics". For the sake of their image, they haven't a choice but electric.

Live Wire (Harley) because the next games are in the USA.

In Los Angeles, i.e. California, which brings aus back to "electric" again, doesn't it? :)

Edited by audiomick
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
19 hours ago, gstallons said:

IDK and I doubt that is Tom Cruise on the bike

Let me say .... It doesn't look like Tom Cruise on that bike

34 minutes ago, gstallons said:

Let me say .... It doesn't look like Tom Cruise on that bike

tom cruise doesn't look like tom cruise to me any more ... but he is most definitely capable of doing his own amazing stunts.

@audiomick 

Nice catch!

I should have thought about it immediately. What is really incredible, is they dubbed the electrical whining to make it more enticing with a real ICE sound. This is really hypocrite...

Especially with current's Paris mayor, who has been on a crusade to eliminate all ICE vehicles from the city, including motorcycles. She also came up with the paid parking for motorcycles, while it had been free, and the interdiction to park outside of motorcycle dedicated spots, those dedicated spots being very scarce.

Her latest idea, is to keep some of the restrictions that have been introduced for the Olympic Games, in particular the "reserved" third lane on the Paris circular road. We shall see how's that going to pan out.

5 hours ago, p6x said:

What is really incredible, is they dubbed the electrical whining to make it more enticing with a real ICE sound. This is really hypocrite...

Yes. That probably does back to the post-production people. "Carry on as usual", so to say. Motorcyle sounds are always dubbed in in films. I don't know how many times I've seen a 2-stroke chook chaser doing the stunt riding in a film, and heard a multi-cylinder sport bike. Or a big V-Twin that sounded like a 4-cylinder. The list goes on.

I think the pinnacle was some '70s american police film. One sees police-spec Harley's engaging in the chase. After a bit, it gets exciting, and there is footage of motorcycles riding down stairways and such. Suddenly, we are seeing chook chasers with fake panniers and bad recreations of the Harley police-spec fairing. And then they are suddenly on Harleys again. I'm not that sure anymore about the sound, but I think it was "Japanese 4-Cylinder". :grin:

Edited by audiomick

My head starts to hurt reading all this, nææh have a beer. Who the H is Tom Cruuus.

Cheers Tom.

• Haha 2

Just noticed the listed specs, range of ~85 miles, and a price of ~20,000 USD, not really even usable for my commute to work without a charge.