Backfire when trying to start

swooshdave

5 minutes ago, MartyNZ said:

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/topic/31125-help/?do=findComment&comment=299506

I measured an old TPS removed from the TB, and got 1.22KΩ. I expect the TPS resistance to be slightly higher to get 157mv. See link above. Remember that the throttle must be closed fully, which is below idle.

So should we be measuring with the ignition on?

Anyone remember which coil wire goes to which coil? SX and OX? The workshop manual is a copy and doesn’t have the legend. 

11 minutes ago, swooshdave said:

Anyone remember which coil wire goes to which coil? SX and OX? The workshop manual is a copy and doesn’t have the legend. 

S means sinisterous which is Italian for left. D means dexterous which means right.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MartyNZ said:

S means sinisterous which is Italian for left. D means dexterous which means right.

Thanks! Google Translate helped us too. Which leads us to believe the wires were actually crossed!

The one thing I didn’t trust is if the Italians to map stuff while sitting on the bikes. 😜

43 minutes ago, swooshdave said:

The workshop manual is a copy and doesn’t have the legend. 

Do you know of this site?

https://guzzitek.org/

It's a bit "unique" to navigate, but you can find things like this there. :)

https://guzzitek.org/gb/ma_us_uk/1100/V11_1999-2003_Atelier(Compil-GB-D-NL).pdf

3 hours ago, swooshdave said:

Right? emoji16.png

Tuning Guide says 157 mv. I put the meter on resistance (Ohms) and got this. 1cdd21a48796f586c22c35e7e25b8cfd.jpg

Same thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, not the same thing! That is just some ridiculous coincidence that shows "1.57!"

The TPS is set in millivolts (mV) to 157 mV with the throttle plate completely closed. Resistance (Ohms/Ω) are not used to baseline the TPS.

Reference (and perform) the "Decent Tune-up" . . .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swooshdave said:

Thanks! Google Translate helped us too. Which leads us to believe the wires were actually crossed!

The one thing I didn’t trust is if the Italians to map stuff while sitting on the bikes. 😜

That will do it.

Phil

1 hour ago, docc said:

No, not the same thing! That is just some ridiculous coincidence that shows "1.57!"

The TPS is set in millivolts (mV) to 157 mV with the throttle plate completely closed. Resistance (Ohms/Ω) are not used to baseline the TPS.

Reference (and perform) the "Decent Tune-up" . . .

Can you update the Decent Tune Up post to say that you have to turn the ignition on for the test. I know it should be apparent but…

22 minutes ago, swooshdave said:

Can you update the Decent Tune Up post to say that you have to turn the ignition on for the test. I know it should be apparent but…

Sure.  You are talking about the TPS procedure, yes?

Done. Thanks, @swooshdave!

"With a quality voltmeter, connect the positive to the violet/black wire and the negative to the violet (the yellow is not used for this setting). With the Run Switch on, switch on the keyed Ignition Switch. Adjust the TPS to 157 milivolts  "

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, MartyNZ said:

I think it's possible to swap the ignition coil supply leads. Could the same thing happen to the injector leads?

Ding ding ding, we have a winner! It was the ignition coil supply leads!

Pretty sure the misadjusted TPS (it wasn’t right before I screwed it up) didn’t help.

It sounds spectacular!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just so I understand, the electrical power to the void was connected wrong (right to left)?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, docc said:

Just so I understand, the electrical power to the void was connected wrong (right to left)?

The good news is the power wires to the coils are marked. Which is nice if you know Italian or are handy with Google Translate. Actually my friend’s wife spent time in Italy and we could have asked her too.

He had replaced the TPS screws and could have easily bumped it too.

Regardless, it now sounds amazing. He’s got the FbF mufflers and a Power Commander. 

Edited by swooshdave
  • Like 1